ReportWire

Tag: the government

  • High Court freezes government move to shutter Army Radio pending ruling

    [ad_1]

    Defense Minister Israel Katz announced the decision to shutter the military broadcaster last week, with the closure slated to take effect in March.

    Ahead of the scheduled hearing, and just hours after the government and the attorney-general submitted their preliminary responses, Supreme Court President Isaac Amit on Sunday ordered that the government’s decision to shutter Army Radio be frozen until further notice.

    The interim order comes amid a widening legal clash between the government and the A-G over the decision to close the military broadcaster, with Attorney-General Gali Baharav-Miara warning the High Court that the move is legally flawed and risks causing irreversible harm.

    “The decision is laden with errors,” Baharav-Miara said, noting that the court is expected to hear the case by the end of January.

    Representing IDF Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen. Eyal Zamir, the attorney-general’s Office, submitted an accompanying advisory opinion urging the court to issue an interim order freezing both the government’s decision and any preparatory steps taken to implement it until the court rules.

    It further noted that the time between the decision and its execution is only about two months.

    Attorney-General Gali Baharav-Miara attends the Knesset in Jerusalem. November 18, 2024. (credit: YONATAN SINDEL/FLASH90)

    Katz announces decision to close Army Radio

    Defense Minister Israel Katz announced the decision to shutter the military broadcaster last week, with the closure slated to take effect in March.

    Army Radio has been broadcasting for 75 years and has long served as a training ground for generations of Israeli journalists. The government has argued that the army has no business operating a news station, especially one that it especially one that it claims leans toward one side of the political map.

    Baharav-Miara warned that “the damage that will be caused by actions taken now to shutter the station will be both significant and irreversible.”

    The legal advisory’s position is that an interim injunction is warranted both on procedural and substantive grounds.

    [ad_2]

    Source link

  • UK government was hacked in October, minister confirms

    [ad_1]

    LONDON, Dec 19 (Reuters) – British trade department minister Chris Bryant said the government had been hacked in October, partly confirming a report in ​the Sun newspaper, which said a Chinese group had breached systems ‌to access Foreign Office data.

    “There certainly has been a hack,” Bryant told Times Radio on Friday.

    “I’m not ‌able to say whether it is directly related to Chinese operatives, or indeed, the Chinese state,” he added.

    The Sun named Storm 1849 as the Chinese cyber gang responsible for the breach, which it said was understood to possibly include tens of ⁠thousands of visa details.

    Bryant said ‌that the reporting around the incident was “speculation” and that the government was continuing to investigate, but at this stage it was “fairly ‍confident” that there was a low risk any individual would be affected.

    “We managed to close the hole, as it were, very quickly,” Bryant told Sky News, describing the breach. “It was ​a technical issue in one of our sites.”

    The Sun newspaper said the ‌group, Storm 1849, was a China-linked gang which was part of a state-aligned hacking apparatus, and which has been accused of targeting politicians and groups critical of the Chinese government.

    British Prime Minister Keir Starmer said earlier in December that China posed “national security threats” to Britain, but defended his government’s decision to step up engagement ⁠with the country.

    He is due to visit ​Beijing in late January, according to sources.

    The incident ​at the Foreign Office follows two major cyber attacks on big British companies this year.

    Hacks forced the country’s largest car maker, Jaguar ‍Land Rover, to shut ⁠down production for five weeks, while retailer Marks & Spencer suspended online orders for six weeks.

    Asked for details of the incident, the foreign office said ⁠that it had been working to investigate a cyber incident.

    “We take the security of our systems ‌and data extremely seriously,” a government spokesperson said.

    (Reporting by Sarah Young; ‌editing by Catarina Demony and William James)

    [ad_2]

    Source link

  • Migrant sex offender deported from UK, government says

    [ad_1]

    A migrant sex offender who was mistakenly released from prison has been deported from UK, the government has announced.

    Hadush Kebatu was convicted of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl and a woman in Epping while living in an asylum hotel, but was mistakenly set free by prison staff last week, before being brought into custody again on Sunday.

    He arrived in Ethiopia on Wednesday morning having left the UK on a flight on Tuesday night.

    Advertisement

    Advertisement

    Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood said: "Last week's blunder should never have happened - and I share the public's anger that it did. I would like to thank the police for rapidly bringing Mr Kebatu into custody and the public for their vigilance."

    This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

    You can receive Breaking News on a smartphone or tablet via the BBC News App. You can also follow @BBCBreaking on X to get the latest alerts.

    [ad_2]
    Source link

  • ‘China spy fiasco’ and ‘Ban’ on Israeli fans a ‘national disgrace’

    [ad_1]

    'China spy fiasco' and 'Ban' on Israeli fans a 'national disgrace'

    [ad_2]

    Source link

  • ‘China given a free pass’ and ‘Kemi: trust me’

    [ad_1]

    'China given a free pass' and 'Kemi: trust me'

    [ad_2]

    Source link

  • Trump to meet with US congressional leaders in last-ditch effort to avoid shutdown

    [ad_1]

    Donald Trump has reversed course and is purportedly planning to host a bipartisan gathering of the top four US congressional leaders at the White House on Monday afternoon in a last-ditch effort to avoid a looming government shutdown, the House speaker and the US president’s fellow Republican Mike Johnson said on Sunday.

    Trump’s climbdown comes days after he scrapped a planned meeting to discuss the crisis with Hakeem Jeffries and Chuck Schumer, the respective Democratic minority leaders in the House and Senate.

    The president accused the pair of making “unserious and ridiculous demands” in return for Democratic votes to support a Republican funding agreement to keep the government open beyond Tuesday night – but left the door open for a meeting “if they get serious about the future of our nation”.

    Johnson, appearing on CNN, said he spoke with Trump at length on Saturday, and that the two Democrats had agreed to join him and John Thune, the Republican Senate majority leader, for an Oval Office discussion Monday.

    Related: Crunch time: Democrats ready for shutdown standoff over Republican health cuts

    He did not say if Trump would be negotiating directly with the Democrats – but portrayed Trump as keen to “try to convince them to follow common sense and do what’s right by the American people”.

    Schumer, talking to NBC’s Meet the Press, said he was “hopeful we can get something real done” – but was uncertain of the mood they would find Trump in when they sat down for the 2pm ET discourse.

    “If the president at this meeting is going to rant, and just yell at Democrats, and talk about all his alleged grievances, and say this, that, and the other thing, we won’t get anything done,” Schumer said.

    “We don’t want a shutdown. We hope that they sit down and have a serious negotiation with us.”

    According to CBS News on Sunday, meanwhile, Trump is not hopeful the meeting will lead to an agreement.

    The network’s chief national correspondent, Robert Costa, told Face the Nation he spoke with Trump by phone Sunday morning and that a government shutdown “looks likely at this point based on my conversation … He says both sides are at a stalemate.”

    Costa said: “Inside the White House, sources are saying president Trump actually welcomes a shutdown in the sense that he believes he can wield executive power to get rid of what he calls waste, fraud and abuse.”

    If no deal is reached, chunks of the federal government are set to shut down as early as Wednesday morning, with the White House telling agencies to prepare to furlough or fire scores of workers.

    Republican and Democratic leaders have been pointing fingers of blame at each other for days as Tuesday’s deadline for a funding agreement approaches.

    The narrow House Republican majority passed a short-term spending bill known as a continuing resolution earlier in September that would keep the government funded for seven weeks – but it faces opposition in the Senate, where it needs the support of at least eight Democrats to pass.

    Democrats have made the extension of expiring healthcare protections a condition of their support, warning that planned Republican spending cuts would affect millions of people.

    “If we don’t extend the Affordable Care Act tax credits, more than 20 million Americans are going to experience dramatically increased premiums, copays, deductibles, in an environment where the cost of living in America is already too high,” Jeffries told CNN on Sunday.

    “We’ve made clear that we’re ready, willing and able to sit down with anyone, at any time and at any place, in order to make sure that we can actually fund the government, avoid a painful Republican caused shutdown, and address the healthcare crisis that Republicans have caused that’s [affecting] everyday Americans.”

    But Trump and Republicans have repeatedly accused their political opponents of exploiting the issue to force a shutdown while there was still plenty of time to fix healthcare before the subsidies expire on 31 December.

    “The Obamacare subsidies is a policy debate that has to be determined by the end of the year, not right now, while we’re simply trying to keep the government open so we can have all these debates,” Johnson said.

    “There is nothing partisan about this continuing resolution, nothing. We didn’t add a single partisan priority or policy rider at all. We’re operating completely in good faith to get more time.”

    Related: Democrats reject spending bill over healthcare cuts as shutdown looms

    Thune, on Meet the Press, also attempted to blame Democrats for the potential shutdown and said “the ball is in their court” as to the next development.

    “There is a bill sitting at the desk in the Senate right now, we could pick it up today and pass it, that has been passed by the House that will be signed into law by the president to keep the government open,” he said.

    “What the Democrats have done is take the federal government as a hostage, and by extension the American people, to try [to] get a whole laundry list of things that they want.”

    But US senator Chris Van Hollen, a Maryland Democrat who has previously urged his party leadership to be stronger in standing up to the Trump administration, said the problem was Republicans handing “a complete blank check” to the president to spend money on his own political interests, and not those of the nation.

    “Until now the president has said he’d rather shut down the government than prevent those healthcare costs from spiking,” he told CNN.

    “Democrats are united right now on this question. I’m glad we’re finally talking. We’ll see what happens.”

    [ad_2]

    Source link