ReportWire

Tag: sewers

  • $4.3M sewer project breaks ground in Bay Shore | Long Island Business News

    $4.3M sewer project breaks ground in Bay Shore | Long Island Business News

    [ad_1]

    Listen to this article

    Elected officials joined community leaders at a groundbreaking ceremony Wednesday for a $4.3 million project that will connect a 170-unit housing complex in Bay Shore to the Suffolk County sewer system. 

    The project will connect the Lexington Village Condominium housing complex to the Suffolk County Sewer District No. 3 Southwest, according to a county statement. The cost of the project is covered through municipal funding and won’t be passed along to Lexington Village, where the majority of residents receive public assistance. 

    “The groundbreaking at Lexington Village highlights the significant progress we have made to take historic measures in order to reclaim our water and improve our wastewater infrastructure throughout all our communities in Suffolk County,” Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone said in the statement. “This project is a result of community-based planning and collaborative partnerships. I thank Supervisor Carpenter and the Town of Islip for their unwavering commitment to enhance the quality of life and provide much needed relief for the residents of Lexington Village.” 

    After initial bids for the project came in higher than expected, the county and the town kicked in $700,000 each to advance the project.  

    “This project is a shining example of intergovernmental cooperation. As elected officials, it is our responsibility to ensure that everyone enjoys a standard of living and quality of life,” Islip Supervisor Angie Carpenter said in the statement. “This sewer connection addresses an environmental concern by cleaning up the water being discharged into the ground and provides a more sustainable development. It also puts an end to trying to maintain the current failing system, which had been a costly and untenable expense for residents.”  

    The project entails the decommissioning, demolishing and removing of the property’s existing sewage treatment plan and will redirect the system to a nearby sewage pump station and connecting to the county’s sewer system. Construction is expected to take about eight months. 

    “This is a great moment for Lexington Village,” Kevin Smith, president of the board of managers for Lexington Village, said in the statement. “What is great about this is that government is working together for a common cause. This is such a great day for us.” 

    [ad_2]

    David Winzelberg

    Source link

  • Groundbreaking for $12M Central Islip sewer project | Long Island Business News

    Groundbreaking for $12M Central Islip sewer project | Long Island Business News

    [ad_1]

    Local elected officials were joined by community leaders for a groundbreaking ceremony for a $12 million project that will connect the Central Islip business district to the Suffolk County sewer system. 

    The project is part of the Central Islip Downtown Revitalization Initiative, for which the state awarded a $10 million DRI grant to the Town of Islip in 2018. 

    Funded by federal and state grants, including $2 million from the DRI grant, the project will connect 64 parcels in Central Islip’s central business district along Carleton Avenue, between Suffolk Avenue and Smith Street. It’s expected to be completed in 18 months. 

    “This historic project is a result of community-based planning and strong local leadership by our partners in the Town of Islip,” Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone said in a written statement. “I am pleased that the county is able to play an important role in supporting the efforts of Supervisor Carpenter, the town board and community leaders in fulfilling a new vision for Central Islip.” 

    The installation of new sewer infrastructure is a key component for implementing many of the goals in the town’s DRI plan, which identified various improvements including streetscape enhancements, new mixed-use development opportunities, a commercial property improvement fund, and new recreational facilities. 

    “We are grateful to Suffolk County Executive Bellone for assisting in securing the additional funding needed to bring this project to fruition. This is truly a partnership of every level of government and, most importantly, a partnership with the community,” Islip Supervisor Angie Carpenter said in the statement. “This essential system in downtown Central Islip will eliminate current limitations to the area’s development and will promote mixed-uses along the corridor while laying the foundation for future investment. After the unanticipated COVID-related delays, it’s wonderful to finally see this project move forward, with no construction cost burden onto the property owners.” 

    Additional grant funds for the Central Islip sewer project were obtained from the U.S. Department of Commerce and the Suffolk County Department of Economic Development and Planning’s Jumpstart program. 

    “This groundbreaking is a promise kept to the residents of Central Islip after the state secured $10 million for the downtown revitalization project. Central Islip is a vibrant and growing community, and the infrastructure must keep up with the demands of the future and ensure our businesses have what they need to provide the best services to our residents,” Assembly Deputy Speaker Phil Ramos said in the statement. “The connection to the Suffolk County sewer system will allow our companies and our town, to continue to grow and prosper. I thank County Executive Bellone and Supervisor Carpenter for coming together and working towards building a better Central Islip.”

    =

    [ad_2]

    David Winzelberg

    Source link

  • County fund grants $5M for Port Jeff Station sewer project | Long Island Business News

    County fund grants $5M for Port Jeff Station sewer project | Long Island Business News

    [ad_1]

    Suffolk County officials were joined by community leaders Thursday to announce a $5 million grant to advance the connection of the Port Jefferson Station commercial area to the county sewer system. 

    The grant from the county’s Water Infrastructure Fund came from money from the federal American Rescue Plan Act and makes the sewer project ready for construction and available for additional federal and state grants, according to a county statement. 

    “There is more sewer construction underway right now than our county has seen in more than 50 years, and we know from experience that having projects designed and ready to go is the key to success in leveraging additional state and federal fund,” Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone said in the statement. “As a result of hard work and cooperation with town government and community leaders, we will break ground this month on sewer projects in Kings Park and Central Islip. Our goal here is to continue our partnership with the town and community to get to a similar groundbreaking for the Port Jefferson Station hub.” 

    The long-stalled sewer project will connect 73 parcels in the Port Jefferson Station commercial area to an existing treatment plant at Suffolk County Sewer District No. 2 in Mount Sinai. The plan was part of the community-based Port Jefferson Station Commercial Hub Study completed by the Town of Brookhaven in cooperation with a Citizens Advisory Committee in 2014. 

    “Investments into wastewater treatment are investments into the future of a community,” Suffolk Legis. Kara Hahn said in the statement. “With each project funded, Suffolk County is making a commitment to bettering lives through economic growth, community revitalization and a cleaner environment. Sewering will become the foundation on which the Port Jefferson Station hub will be built and move us forward toward the future residents envisioned in its 2014 commercial redevelopment plan.” 

    The county added the project to its capital program, and the design of the project is already underway. The funding just announced will be used to complete design of the project and go towards construction. The Suffolk County Sewer Agency is expected to approve a map, plan and report for the project in December, clearing the way for a public hearing and approval by the Suffolk County Legislature required for the county to let a construction contract for the project. 

    “I am proud I helped deliver hundreds of millions of dollars that are being used to expand and improve Suffolk County’s wastewater infrastructure,” U.S. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said in the statement. “I commend County Executive Steve Bellone for committing $5 million in American Rescue Plan aid, funding that I fought hard to get to Long Island, to advance the Port Jefferson Station Commercial Hub connection project. This project will revitalize Port Jefferson Station’s commercial corridor, boost economic development, and protect public health and the environment by stemming the tide of toxic nitrogen into our groundwater and waterways. Suffolk County is building back stronger post-pandemic and I will continue fighting each and every day to bring federal funds to Long Island.” 

    Marc Herbst, executive director of the Long Island Contractors’ Association, praised the county executive, elected officials, and community leaders for their commitment to advancing Suffolk’s water infrastructure. 

    “The announcement of a $5 million grant from the county’s Water Infrastructure Fund to facilitate the connection of the Port Jefferson Station Commercial Hub area to the county sewer system is a significant step towards ensuring a prosperous and sustainable future for our region,” Herbst said in the statement. “This work not only addresses immediate environmental concerns but also lays the foundation for long-term growth and development on Long Island. 

    [ad_2]

    David Winzelberg

    Source link

  • Kings Park sewer project to start after $5.4M boost from county | Long Island Business News

    Kings Park sewer project to start after $5.4M boost from county | Long Island Business News

    [ad_1]

    The long-awaited project to expand the sewer system for downtown Kings Park will soon be getting started, thanks to $5.4 million from Suffolk County. 

    Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone, Deputy Suffolk County Executive Peter Scully and Smithtown Supervisor Ed Wehrheim were joined by other elected officials, and business and civic leaders in Kings Park Friday to announce the additional funding and cheer on Bellone as he signed the funding bill that had been passed by the Suffolk County Legislature. The money comes from the federal government via the American Rescue Plan Act. 

    The project, originally estimated to cost $20 million, which was provided by the state in 2014, has gotten more expensive, thanks to inflation and the increased cost of construction materials in the last few years. 

    The expansion of Sewer District #6, which will provide sewer service to downtown Kings Park, has seen myriad delays. But the construction on the project, designed by Melville-based H2M, is now expected to begin in late spring, according to Scully, and should be completed in about two years. Executives of the contracting firms that will be doing the work, including G&M Earth Moving, ALAC Contracting Corp. and L.E.B. Electric Ltd., attended the funding announcement and bill signing. 

    The new sewer service will enable the revitalization of Kings Park’s tired and outdated downtown, providing wastewater capacity for new businesses and redevelopment. 

    In 2016, the Kings Park Chamber of Commerce and Kings Park Civic Association came together, with assistance from Vision Long Island, to identify key issues that should be addressed in the development of a downtown revitalization plan and sewers were the lynchpin for that plan. 

    “It’s good to see this transformative project that’s been years in the making finally coming to fruition,” said Tony Tanzi, president of the Kings Park Chamber of Commerce. “It will transform our community and turn our downtown back to a place that people want to come to.” 

    Bellone called it a great day and touted the bi-partisan support for the project. 

    “This is something that matters not just for Kings Park, but for the region,” Bellone said. “The community really came together. By having that vision and having that consensus, we can work together and figure out the infrastructure.” 

    Wehrheim thanked Bellone and Scully, the county’s water czar, for their work in getting the project started. 

    “This has been a team effort from the beginning,” he said. “Without working together, things like this would never happen.” 

    Suffolk County Legis. Rob Trotta, who represents Kings Park, thanked the taxpayers, because he said they’re the ones footing the bill. 

    “The residents of Kings Park are finally going to get the sewer system that will greatly improve their downtown,” he said. 

    [ad_2]

    David Winzelberg

    Source link