ReportWire

Tag: Retail/Wholesale

  • 1 in 5 of Americans don’t know about new omicron-targeting COVID boosters, survey finds

    1 in 5 of Americans don’t know about new omicron-targeting COVID boosters, survey finds

    [ad_1]

    About half of the American public has heard little or nothing about the new COVID-19 bivalent booster, a new survey by the Kaiser Family Foundation has found. The new booster targets the omicron variants that have become dominant around the world.

    One in five of those surveyed said they had heard “nothing at all” about the new boosters. Some 17% said they had heard “a lot” about the boosters, while 33% said they had heard “some” about the new shots. About a third said they’d already gotten the new booster or intended to do so as soon as possible.

    “Intention is somewhat higher among older adults, one of the groups most at risk for serious complications of a coronavirus infection,” the authors wrote. “Almost half (45%) of adults ages 65 and older say they have gotten the bivalent booster or intend to get it ‘as soon as possible.’”


    Source: Kaiser Family Foundation

    The news will likely disappoint health experts who cheered the regulatory authorization of the new boosters in August. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration granted emergency-use authorization to boosters developed by Moderna
    MRNA,
    +1.36%

    and by Pfizer
    PFE,
    -0.07%

    and German partner BioNTech
    BNTX,
    +1.53%

    for use in people aged 12 and older who have had an initial series of a COVID vaccine, including those who have already had one or more booster doses.

    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is recommending that all adults get one of the bivalent boosters at least two months after completing a primary series of shots. So far, some 7.6 million people in the U.S. have received it, according to the CDC.

    From the CDC: Stay Up to Date with COVID-19 Vaccines Including Boosters

    Once again, the country’s partisan divide is evident, with 6 in 10 Democrats saying they’ve already had the shot or will get it soon, compared with 1 in 8 Republicans.

    “Notably, 20% of Republicans say they will ‘definitely not’ get the new COVID-19 booster dose, while a further 38% of Republicans are unvaccinated or only partially vaccinated and therefore not eligible for the new updated COVID-19 booster dose,” the survey authors said.

    Also read: A common virus is putting more children in the hospital than in recent years

    In the U.S., known cases of COVID are continuing to ease and now stand at their lowest level since late April, although the true tally is likely higher given how many people are testing at home, where data are not being collected.

    The daily average for new cases stood at 47,569 on Thursday, according to a New York Times tracker, down 26% from two weeks ago and now at the lowest level since late April. Cases are rising in 14 states and are sharply higher in several. Montana leads the count with a 75% rise in the last two weeks, followed by Washington with a 48% rise. Cases are up by double digits in Rhode Island, New York, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont and New Jersey.

    The daily average for hospitalizations was down 13% to 28,639, while the daily average for deaths was down 11% to 407.

    The new bivalent vaccine might be the first step in developing annual COVID shots, which could follow a similar process to the one used to update flu vaccines every year. Here’s what that process looks like, and why applying it to COVID could be challenging. Illustration: Ryan Trefes

    Coronavirus Update: MarketWatch’s daily roundup has been curating and reporting all the latest developments every weekday since the coronavirus pandemic began

    Other COVID-19 news you should know about:

    • The U.K. is the only G-7 country whose economy is smaller now than before the pandemic, the Guardian reported, citing data released Friday by the Office for National Statistics. The ONS released figures showing that rather than the economy being 0.6% larger than it was in February 2020, a combination of a deeper recession during the pandemic and a weak recovery had left it 0.2% smaller. All the other major economies in the G-7, including France and Italy, recovered strongly enough to be larger than they were in February 2020.

    • Taiwan is the latest country to end mandatory COVID quarantines for people arriving from overseas, the Associated Press reported. Officials said that beginning Oct. 13, the previous weeklong quarantine requirement would be replaced with a seven-day self-monitoring period. A rapid antigen test will still be required upon arrival, but people showing no symptoms will be allowed to take public transportation. 

    • Germany’s health ministry is warning of a rise of COVID cases heading into the fall and is urging older people in particular to get a second booster shot, the AP reported separately. Other European countries such as France, Denmark and the Netherlands are also recording an increase in cases, German Health Minister Karl Lauterbach told reporters in Berlin. “We are clearly at the start of a winter wave,” he said.

    COVID-19 lockdowns, corruption crackdowns and more have put China’s economy on a potential crash course with the U.S. and the rest of the world, the Wall Street Journal’s Dion Rabouin explains. Illustration: David Fang

    • The first Chinese mRNA-based COVID vaccine has received government approval — in Indonesia, the New York Times reported. The shot, developed by Walvax Biotechnology
    300142,
    +0.49%
    ,
    Suzhou Abogen Biosciences and the Chinese military, was cleared this week by Indonesia for emergency use. Countries all over the world, including Indonesia, have embraced mRNA vaccines, and they are considered among the most effective vaccines that the world has to offer. But more than two years into the pandemic, they are not yet available in China, which has relied on an increasingly draconian “zero-COVID” approach to keep cases and deaths from the virus low.

    • Patriarch Kirill of Moscow, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church and a supporter of Russia’s war on Ukraine, has tested positive for COVID-19, the church’s press service said on Friday, Reuters reported. The church said Kirill, 75, a close ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin, had canceled all his planned trips and events and had “severe symptoms” requiring bed rest and isolation. It said his condition was “satisfactory.”

    Here’s what the numbers say:

    The global tally of confirmed cases of COVID-19 topped 617.3 million on Friday, while the death toll rose above 6.54 million, according to data aggregated by Johns Hopkins University.

    The U.S. leads the world with 96.3 million cases and 1,059,291 fatalities.

    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s tracker shows that 225.3 million people living in the U.S., equal to 67.9% of the total population, are fully vaccinated, meaning they have had their primary shots. Just 109.9 million have had a booster, equal to 48.8% of the vaccinated population, and 23.9 million of those who are eligible for a second booster have had one, equal to 36.6% of those who received a first booster.

     

    [ad_2]

    Source link

  • Nike stock drops 10% as execs predict cheaper clothing for at least the rest of the year

    Nike stock drops 10% as execs predict cheaper clothing for at least the rest of the year

    [ad_1]

    Shares of Nike Inc. plunged as much as 10% after hours Thursday, after the athletic-gear giant’s executives said price-cutting efforts to flush off-season clothing from warehouses in North America would dent gross margins for the rest of its fiscal year and warned of a big potential hit from the stronger dollar.

    Management also said they expected their rivals to keep cutting prices through at least the end of the calendar year, as they try to clear their own stockpiles. But the Nike executives said inventory levels in North America likely “peaked” in its first quarter, which ended on Aug. 31, and expected levels to even out — with newer, seasonally-aligned, in-demand product — in the months ahead as it prepares for the holiday rush.

    “We’re taking decisive action to clear excess inventory, focusing on specific pockets of seasonally late product, predominantly in apparel,” Chief Financial Officer Matthew Friend said on Nike’s earnings call.

    He added that he expected the moves to have a “transitory impact” on gross margins for the year.

    The lopsided inventory levels, which grew 44% during Nike’s third quarter, followed factory closures last year in Asia, where most of its footwear is made, that led to late product deliveries, Friend said.

    But those late deliveries are now getting mixed in with holiday-season deliveries that are set to arrive earlier than planned. The earlier arrivals, executives said, were a function of earlier ordering — due to the shipping delays that have characterized the past year —and then a sudden, more recent improvement in those shipping times.

    And as the U.S. dollar strengthens, Friend said he expected the full-year negative impact of foreign exchange on reported sales and earnings before interest and taxes to be $4 billion and $900 million, respectively.

    Still, executives said inventory management in China was “ahead of plan” as it recalibrates supply and navigates COVID-19 related restrictions there. And they said that consumer demand was still strong, despite rising prices. Friend and CEO John Donahoe both repeated that Nike remained customers’ “No. 1 cool” and “No. 1 favorite” brand.

    Donahoe said shoes like the Air Max Scorpion — which offered the “most air ever, in terms of pound per square inch” — reflected Nike’s commitment to innovation. The company’s Travis Scott and LeBron 20 sneakers also remained popular, executives said. The back-to-school season, and demand for its Jordan and Converse sneakers, were also solid.

    As for fiscal first-quarter financials, Nike reported net income of $1.5 billion, or 93 cents a share, compared with $1.9 billion, or $1.16 a share, in the year-earlier period. Sales came in at $12.7 billion, compared with $12.2 billion a year ago.

    Analysts polled by FactSet expected earnings of 92 cents a share on sales of $12.28 billion. Shares of Nike
    NKE,
    -3.41%

    were last down 9.3% after hours, but fell more than 10% at one point after the close.

    Prior to the report, analysts following Nike had zeroed in on the impact of the stronger U.S. dollar, the impact of China’s COVID lockdowns, as well as the effects from bigger discounts to sell shoes and other gear that sat around for too long due to backups in the company’s supply chain. The back-to-school season, and competition with the likes of Adidas AG
    ADDYY,
    -5.21%

    were also points of focus for Wall Street.

    Gross margins fell to 44.3% from 46.5% during the quarter. Nike executives said the decrease “was primarily driven by North America, which took measures to liquidate excess inventory through Nike Direct markdowns and wholesale marketplace actions.”

    Inventory for Nike stood at $9.7 billion, a 44% increase from the year-earlier period, due to what executives described as “ongoing supply-chain volatility, partially offset by strong consumer demand during the quarter.”

    Nike, in June, said it expected “higher promotional activity” in the first quarter, as it tries to sell seasonal items that arrived late, following the factory closures last year in Asia. However, for the full year ahead, management at that time said it was planning for “mid-single-digit price increases.”

    Executives also said then that they were planning to expand sales that go directly to consumers, via its own stores and online. The company over the years has been trying to rely less on retail chains like Foot Locker Inc.
    FL,
    -6.36%

    for sales.

    Shares of Nike have fallen 43% so far this year. By comparison, the S&P 500 index
    SPX,
    -2.11%

    is down around 24% over that time.

    [ad_2]

    Source link

  • H&M profit drops after Russia exit costs

    H&M profit drops after Russia exit costs

    [ad_1]

    Sweden’s Hennes & Mauritz AB said Thursday that net profit for its third quarter fell significantly after it booked a one-time cost related to the winding down of its Russian operations, and that it will start a cost and efficiency program.

    The company
    HM.B,
    -3.17%

    posted a net profit of 531 million Swedish kronor ($47.4 million) for the fiscal quarter ended Aug. 31, compared with SEK4.69 billion a year earlier. Analysts polled by FactSet had expected a net profit of SEK2.17 billion.

    Sales were SEK57.45 billion compared with SEK55.59 billion a year earlier. Analysts polled by FactSet had expected sales of SEK57.45 billion.

    The company said it has booked a one-time cost of SEK2.10 billion, related to the winding down of Russian operations, hitting the result for the quarter.

    The cost and efficiency program is expected to result in annual savings of around SEK2 billion.

    “The third quarter has largely been impacted by our decision to pause sales and then wind down the business in Russia. This has had a significant effect on our sales and profitability, which explains half of the decrease in profits compared with the third quarter last year,” Chief Executive Helena Helmersson said.

    Write to Kyle Morris at kyle.morris@dowjones.com

    [ad_2]

    Source link