ReportWire

Tag: okkc

  • TriMet sex offender found guilty of videotaping women using restrooms

    TriMet sex offender found guilty of videotaping women using restrooms

    [ad_1]

    Jared Walter was found guilty on 31 counts of invasion of privacy

    PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — A repeat sexual offender was found guilty on 31 counts of invasion of privacy after recording a multitude of women using the bathroom at Portland Community College and local businesses.

    Jared Walter, the convicted sexual offender banned for life from TriMet, will be sentenced in August.

    Between April 26-30, 2023, Portland police learned a man was entering different women’s bathrooms across the city. Investigators connected Walter, 37, to those bathrooms and the recordings.

    Those incidents happened just two months after Walter was released from custody for different crimes. In September 2021, he was sentenced to nearly 2 years in prison after admitting to taking a picture of a woman inside a bar’s bathroom.

    [ad_2]

    Matt Rawlings

    Source link

  • Hillsboro Hops’ winning streak swept by Vancouver Canadians

    Hillsboro Hops’ winning streak swept by Vancouver Canadians

    [ad_1]

    PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — The Hillsboro Hops were on a winning streak entering Friday’s match-up with the Vancouver Canadians, as seen on Portland’s CW.

    While the Hops put up a fight at the Hillsboro Ballpark, they were ultimately swept by the Canadians, 4-2.

    Right off the bat, Vancouver got four across first. However, the Hops’ Gavin Conticello knocked a run-in — the only traditional run Hillsboro would secure in the game.

    Another one came across via a wild pitch but wasn’t enough for the Hops to overcome. 

    It wasn’t all bad news for Hops fans since Friday’s game was accompanied by fireworks. In addition, they’ll have two more chances to defeat the Canadians in subsequent games on Saturday and Sunday, according to the Hops’ website.

    [ad_2]

    Danny Peterson

    Source link

  • Clackamas Fire battles blaze at historic Timberline Lodge

    Clackamas Fire battles blaze at historic Timberline Lodge

    [ad_1]

    Officials said everyone made it out of the lodge safely.

    PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Clackamas Fire has confirmed that a fire has broken out on Mt. Hood’s Timberline Lodge Thursday night. 

    Officials said reports started pouring in around 9:30 p.m. about the attic of the historic lodge being on fire. This activated a response from fire crews from Hoodland Fire, Clackamas Fire, Gresham Fire and Estacada Fire, who are all on the scene fighting the blaze, according to a press release from Clackamas Fire.

    Officials said following a preliminary search, crews determined everyone made it outside and safe. Employees of the lodge originally called the fire in.

    Just after 11 p.m., a Clackamas Fire spokesperson confirmed to KOIN 6 News that no one was injured and that the fire had been kept to the attic and the roof. What’s more, he said crews have been making progress in knocking down the fire and making sure there are no more hotspots.

    Around 11:25 p.m., KOIN 6 News received another update from John Burton, the director of marketing and public affairs for Timberline Lodge. He told us the fire is now out but that firefighters are still working on putting out hotspots. He said guests and employees were evacuated and are all safe. What’s more, Burton said Oregon State Police have also closed all the roads near the lodge.

    The investigation as to the cause of the fire is ongoing, officials said.

    This is a developing story. KOIN 6 News will update this article with more information as soon as it becomes available. 

    [ad_2]

    Danny Peterson

    Source link

  • Investigation underway after child approached by unknown man near Bethany school complex

    Investigation underway after child approached by unknown man near Bethany school complex

    [ad_1]

    The Washington County Sheriff’s Office said they are trying to locate the suspect.

    PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — The Washington County Sheriff’s Office is trying to locate an unknown suspect who allegedly approached a child near a school complex in Bethany. 

    According to a release from the sheriff’s office, the incident occurred Thursday evening around 5:20 p.m. A child walking home near the Jacob Wismer Elementary and Stoller Middle School complex was approached by a man unknown to the boy. The man said he was a friend of the boy’s mother coming to pick him up. 

    The boy isn’t a student at Beaverton School District but was at the school facility visiting friends at Jacob Wismer. Upon being approached by the man, the boy “wisely ran from the area, safely reaching home shortly after,” the release said.

    The suspect in question was near the bus pick-up lanes at Stoller Middle School. He was described by the student as “a large male in his 70s with a white beard two to three inches in length” and wearing “large Pit Viper-style sunglasses, a T-shirt, and a hat with the American Flag.” He was believed to be driving a silver Mercedes SUV, according to the student. 

    Officials said they are working closely with the Beaverton School District Public Safety officers to continue the investigation and reviewing surveillance footage. 

    Anyone with information about the incident or the suspect is encouraged to call the Washington County Sheriff’s Office.

    [ad_2]

    Danny Peterson

    Source link

  • ‘We want her home’: Missing Vancouver woman’s friends, coworkers hold vigil after 10-day search

    ‘We want her home’: Missing Vancouver woman’s friends, coworkers hold vigil after 10-day search

    [ad_1]

    Authorities said the disappearance was suspicious.

    PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Friends and family held a candlelight vigil Friday night for a Vancouver, Washington woman who has been missing for more than a week.

    The Vancouver Police Department said 61-year-old Cristina Ase left her home near Southeast 123rd Avenue and Southeast 5th Street on the morning of March 26 but never showed up for work.

    Authorities have labeled Ase’s disappearance as “suspicious.”

    KOIN 6 News heard from those closest to her during a vigil that was held in West Linn, Oregon, at the Rose Linn Care Center, where Ase worked.

    Ase was headed to the care center, where she was the nursing director, at the time she vanished last month.

    Since then, coworkers said they’ve put up hundreds of flyers, started Facebook groups and even searched the rivers to try and bring her home. With no answers in sight, many are now deeply concerned, hoping someone will come forward. 

    “Home and work, life hasn’t been the same without her,” said Nathan Priest, one of Ase’s coworkers. 

    Coming together under candlelight, the community is hoping to see Ase again while they honor their colleague who disappeared mysteriously. 

    “We want her home, we want her back,” said Brady Waldroff, the executive director of Rose Linn Care Center.

    A vigil is held in West Linn for a missing woman from Vancouver. April 5, 2024 (KOIN).

    A crowd of more than 50 friends and coworkers gathered at the care center, a testament to the lives Ase has touched while working there for the past 15 years. This all comes 10 days after she texted friends saying she’d be late, only to never show up. 

    “She was the heart and soul here, and she is missed and we just want answers and we want her back,” Waldroff said.

    After she vanished, Ase’s car was discovered about a mile away from her Vancouver home. Despite this, answers about her whereabouts remain out of reach, which her boss and coworkers describe as the most agonizing part of it all.

     “The sheer confusion and dumbfoundedness of what happened and why,” as Waldroff put it. 

    Authorities said Ase drives a 2013 dark grey Toyota RAV4 with Washington plate AQT1726.

    The Vancouver Police Department has identified three locations where she might’ve been seen. To help with the investigation, they want the public to provide any video footage of Ase or her car within a quarter-mile radius of the locations between March 25 at 4 p.m. and March 27 at 5 p.m:

    • 501 SE 123rd Ave, Vancouver WA
    • Glenwood Park – 8800 block of SE Claybourne Street, Portland OR
    • Flavel Street & SE 92nd Ave, Portland OR

    In the meantime, friends of Ase said they won’t stop searching until she’s home. As dozens of people gathered in the rain, it was clear how deeply they loved and missed her.

    Ase’s family, who mostly live in Argentina, were not able to attend the vigil, her boss explained. Likewise, Ase’s husband is focused on the investigation, with law enforcement saying he’s been cooperative. 

    KOIN 6 News reached out to law enforcement for an update on the case but received no comment. We will update this story as soon as more information develops. 

    [ad_2]

    Joelle Jones

    Source link

  • Gresham teen arrested, accused of murdering father with gun

    Gresham teen arrested, accused of murdering father with gun

    [ad_1]

    Police arrest the 19-year-old Myles Menafee, accusing him of murdering his father, 46-year-old Joshua Heinrich.

    PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — A Gresham teenager was arrested and accused of murdering his father with a gun. 

    According to the Gresham Police Department, officers responded on Tuesday at a house in the 600 block of Southwest Linneman Court on reports of a shooting and found a man dead from a gunshot wound, 46-year-old Joshua Heinrich.

    Heinrich’s son, 19-year-old Myles Menafee, was detained at the time. He’s now been arrested and charged with second-degree murder and unlawful use of a weapon.

    This is a developing story. KOIN 6 News will update this article when more information becomes available. 

    [ad_2]

    Danny Peterson

    Source link

  • Community members vouch for Portland Street Response amid uncertain future

    Community members vouch for Portland Street Response amid uncertain future

    [ad_1]

    Portland officials said more than $3 million is expected to be cut from the program.

    PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Funding for the Portland Street Response could be cut soon. And now Portlanders are speaking out, saying they want the program expanded, not cut.

    On Wednesday night, dozens of local residents packed into a meeting to discuss the future of Portland Street Response, hosted by the Portland Committee on Community-Engaged Policing. The public weighed in on what changes they think need to be made.

    “I cannot fathom why it’s on the table to do anything but fully fund and grow this program,” said Jeremy Smith, a resident of Downtown Portland. 

    The Portland Street Response was funded by one-time COVID relief fund but that’s coming to an end. Now city leaders are brainstorming how to find the money to keep funding the program

    Portland Street Response falls under City Commissioner Rene Gonzalez, who oversees Portland Fire and Rescue. Gonzalez has been trying to get the Multnomah County Joint Office of Homeless Services to fund part of the program.

    The city said more than $3 million is expected to be cut from the program.

    “You put your money where it matters, and clearly, Portland Street Response does not matter to the current Portland City Council,” said former Portland Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty, who oversaw the initial implementation of Portland Street Response. 

    PSR is considered the city’s unarmed team of emergency responders who are trained to assist in mental health crises. The goal: reducing the number of calls to police officers.

    “We need to look at the data — who’s calling what types of emergencies we need to be responding to and who are the right people to respond to those. And make sure they are available,” said Jennifer Park, a Northeast Portland resident. “Revaluate what those calls are then redistribute the money.”

    Right now the PSR team is available from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week.

    “We know that mental and behavioral health challenges does not only happen during the daytime. There’s no reason we shouldn’t be supporting those issues 10 p.m. to 8 a.m.” Park added.

    “A separate branch all the way makes sense, 24-hours make sense and ongoing funding makes sense,” said Will Mespelt of North Portland.

    The committee on community-engaged policing expects to vote on recommendations for street response on April 17. Those recommendations will get sent to the mayor and chief of police, who are required to formally respond within 60 days.

    [ad_2]

    Joyce Ogirri

    Source link

  • Charles Barkley picks Oregon to advance to National Title game

    Charles Barkley picks Oregon to advance to National Title game

    [ad_1]

    PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — While Charles Barkley’s bracket may be busted after two days, three teams in his Final Four are still alive, even though one of his picks could be considered an unlikely squad.

    The NBA legend picked the 11-seeded Oregon Ducks to advance all the way to the NCAA Championship game, where he has them losing to Pac-12 foe Arizona.

    The Ducks lost both their matchups to the 2-seeded Arizona during the regular season, but beat the Wildcats in the Pac-12 Tournament semifinals 67-59 on March 15.

    An 11-seed has never reached the NCAA title game. However, five 11-seeds have made it to the Final Four — UCLA (2021), Loyola-Chicago (2018), VCU (2011), George Mason (2006) and LSU (1986).

    Click here to see all of Chuck’s picks.

    [ad_2]

    Matt Rawlings

    Source link

  • Albany man found dead after house fire

    Albany man found dead after house fire

    [ad_1]

    Police identified the man as Brain Powell.

    PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — A 64-year-old Albany man was found dead after a house fire Friday night, police said. 

    Officials responded to the 1400 block of Washington Street SW just before 5:15 p.m. on an active fire investigation. The Albany Fire Department took the man to the hospital, but he ended up succumbing to his injuries, police said.

    Police identified the man as Brain Powell. They say there were no other residents or animals in the home.

    “Officers were able to notify family and our thoughts are with them at this difficult time,” police said. 

    The cause of the fire is under investigation.

    [ad_2]

    Matt Rawlings

    Source link

  • ‘So much fun’: Waterfront Blues Festival releases initial 2024 artist lineup

    ‘So much fun’: Waterfront Blues Festival releases initial 2024 artist lineup

    [ad_1]

    PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — The 37th annual Waterfront Blues Festival is coming to Portland this summer, with a myriad of elite musicians slated to take the stage.

    Four days passes for the event, which will take place July 4-7 at Tom McCall Waterfront Park, are on sale now on the Waterfront Blues website.

    Three-time Grammy winner Ben Harper, a collaboration between blues legend Bobby Rush and the five-time Grammy-nominated North Mississippi Allstars, as well as neo-soul vocalist Lo Steele, daughter of Portland’s “First Lady of the Blues,” LaRhonda Steele, are just a few of the many performances that can be seen during the event — view the current lineup here.

    “We had so much fun putting the initial lineup together this year, as we really wanted to push the boundaries of the genre and have something for every type of music lover,” says Peter Dammann, Waterfront Blues Festival artistic director. “When you think about bluegrass, soul and Americana, they all have blues traditions woven in and it’s exciting to showcase new genres and bring new audiences to this year’s festival.”

    Along with the world-class music, the Waterfront Blues Festival will feature local vendors offering food and beverages, as well as art exhibits, music memorabilia, and a kids activities area.

    “The Waterfront Blues Festival is not just a music event; it’s a celebration of community, welcoming people of all ages and backgrounds to share in the joy of live music, dance, food, art, and all the things we love about Portland,” says Christina Fuller, festival director of Waterfront Blues Festival. “For 37 years, this festival has brought families and friends to downtown Portland, making it a vibrant hub of fun and activity. It’s a tribute to the unifying power of live music and in-person events.”

    Four-day passes are now available, starting at $125, with general admission and several VIP options. Kids 12 and younger get in for free.

    [ad_2]

    Matt Rawlings

    Source link

  • Gresham police: MultCo. Sheriff’s deputy struck in crash, other driver hospitalized

    Gresham police: MultCo. Sheriff’s deputy struck in crash, other driver hospitalized

    [ad_1]

    Police said the other driver admitted to using marijuana earlier in the day

    PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — The Gresham Police Department is investigating a crash that occurred early Friday morning involving a Multnomah County Sheriff’s deputy and another driver.

    This all happened just before 1 a.m. Friday morning when the deputy was driving a marked patrol car. They were struck by another car near the intersection of Northeast Halsey Street and Northeast 201st Avenue, GPD said in a press release.

    The deputy sustained minor injuries while the other driver — who later admitted he had taken marijuana earlier in the day — suffered traumatic but non-life-threatening injuries and was transported to a local hospital, authorities said.

    GPD was called to investigate the crash and they found that the MCSO deputy was proceeding through a green light while the other driver ran a red light. The incident was captured on video on traffic cameras, officials said.

    The person who crashed into the MCSO patrol car was cited by GPD for driving without a license.

    This is a developing story. KOIN 6 News will update this article as soon as more information becomes available.

    [ad_2]

    Danny Peterson

    Source link