ReportWire

Tag: Nov. 1

  • Investigators make arrest in 1987 killing of 34-year-old mother

    [ad_1]

    Authorities this past week announced the arrest of a 76-year-old man in the 1987 killing of Margit Schuller, a 34-year-old mother found shot outside a laundromat near her home at the Palmetto Apartments.Beaufort County Sheriff P.J. Tanner on Wednesday said Cortez Sabino Lake, a former Navy corpsman stationed at Parris Island, who lived in the same apartment complex at the time, was arrested Tuesday and charged with murder. Lake is being held pending a bond hearing.Schuller was last seen between 8:15 and 8:45 a.m. on Nov. 1, 1987, folding clothes inside the complex laundromat. Her 12-year-old daughter later found her under a tree outside. Investigators determined Schuller had been shot inside the laundromat and crawled outside. A second blood trail leaving the scene indicated the assailant was injured.Cold case investigator Bob Bromage said DNA taken from that trail in 1987 was first profiled in 2005 and uploaded to CODIS, but produced no hits. In 2019, forensic genealogy and a composite analysis by Parabon Nanolabs helped narrow the focus. Investigators recently obtained Lake’s DNA – first through noncooperative means and then via a court-ordered sample – which matched in the “septillions,” Bromage said. Detectives also recovered the murder weapon in 1989 at a construction site on U.S. 21 and matched it to a casing found in the laundromat. Bromage said investigators believe sexual assault was the motive based on evidence at the scene.Lake, who lived at Battery Creek Apartments in 1987 and later worked more than three decades at Beaufort Memorial Hospital, was not named as a suspect at the time, Bromage said. The Sheriff’s Office is asking anyone who knew Lake in the late 1980s – particularly residents of Battery Creek or Palmetto Apartments – to come forward with information. Tips can be provided to investigators or through Crime Stoppers.Schuller worked as a cardiac care nurse. Her husband, Jozsef, a Navy corpsman, was deployed for training in San Diego when the killing occurred. They were both originally from Hungary and immigrated to the U.S. in 1982.

    Authorities this past week announced the arrest of a 76-year-old man in the 1987 killing of Margit Schuller, a 34-year-old mother found shot outside a laundromat near her home at the Palmetto Apartments.

    Beaufort County Sheriff P.J. Tanner on Wednesday said Cortez Sabino Lake, a former Navy corpsman stationed at Parris Island, who lived in the same apartment complex at the time, was arrested Tuesday and charged with murder. Lake is being held pending a bond hearing.

    Schuller was last seen between 8:15 and 8:45 a.m. on Nov. 1, 1987, folding clothes inside the complex laundromat. Her 12-year-old daughter later found her under a tree outside. Investigators determined Schuller had been shot inside the laundromat and crawled outside. A second blood trail leaving the scene indicated the assailant was injured.

    Cold case investigator Bob Bromage said DNA taken from that trail in 1987 was first profiled in 2005 and uploaded to CODIS, but produced no hits. In 2019, forensic genealogy and a composite analysis by Parabon Nanolabs helped narrow the focus. Investigators recently obtained Lake’s DNA – first through noncooperative means and then via a court-ordered sample – which matched in the “septillions,” Bromage said.

    Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office

    Detectives also recovered the murder weapon in 1989 at a construction site on U.S. 21 and matched it to a casing found in the laundromat. Bromage said investigators believe sexual assault was the motive based on evidence at the scene.

    Lake, who lived at Battery Creek Apartments in 1987 and later worked more than three decades at Beaufort Memorial Hospital, was not named as a suspect at the time, Bromage said. The Sheriff’s Office is asking anyone who knew Lake in the late 1980s – particularly residents of Battery Creek or Palmetto Apartments – to come forward with information. Tips can be provided to investigators or through Crime Stoppers.

    Schuller worked as a cardiac care nurse. Her husband, Jozsef, a Navy corpsman, was deployed for training in San Diego when the killing occurred. They were both originally from Hungary and immigrated to the U.S. in 1982.

    [ad_2]

    Source link

  • Is Walmart closing Nov. 1 as SNAP benefits run out for millions? What to know

    [ad_1]

    As SNAP benefits run out for November, rumors circulate that Walmart will close its doors.

    As SNAP benefits run out for November, rumors circulate that Walmart will close its doors.

    Photo by Zack Yeo on Unsplash.

    As the government shutdown continues, millions of people will lose SNAP benefits in November. With that comes social media chatter about store closures; but is it true?

    The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, also known as SNAP, is set to “run dry” Nov. 1, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

    As millions of Americans prepare for the loss of food assistance right before the holidays, online rumors circulated that Walmart will be closing its doors as a direct effect.

    One TikTok video, masked as a news story, said Walmart was halting in-person shopping to “avoid possible disorder” and in an attempt to prevent “chaos before it starts.”

    Other individuals have taken to social media, spreading the message that Walmart will close and urging people to prepare.

    One TikTok user posted a video that got over 1 million views with the caption; “Breaking news just in — Walmart said not today, baby! November 1st, they locking them doors like Fort Knox. You can order online, but don’t even think about stepping inside!”

    The truth

    A Walmart spokesperson told McClatchy News on Oct. 28 that the rumors are not true and Walmart has no plans to close and will remain open as usual.

    Digging into the rumors, Snopes found several sources that may have contributed to the origin of the rumors, including social media posts and vague news headlines.

    Despite the misinformation spreading online regarding the closing of Walmart, it is true that millions of Americans are preparing for the impact of not receiving their expected food assistance.

    Although the USDA has roughly $5 to $6 billion in a contingency fund designated for emergency scenarios, it is not enough to cover the $8 billion in SNAP benefits set to go out in November, according to the Hill.

    Just as well, the USDA said in a memo, it legally cannot use the fund to cover regular benefits.

    “SNAP contingency funds are only available to supplement regular monthly benefits when amounts have been appropriated for, but are insufficient to cover, benefits. The contingency fund is not available to support FY 2026 regular benefits, because the appropriation for regular benefits no longer exists,” the memo said.

    It goes on to say, “the contingency fund is a source of funds for contingencies, such as the Disaster SNAP program, which provides food purchasing benefits for individuals in disaster areas, including natural disasters like hurricanes, tornadoes, and floods, that can come on quickly and without notice.”

    Jennifer Rodriguez

    mcclatchy-newsroom

    Jennifer Rodriguez is a McClatchy National Real-Time reporter covering the Central and Midwest regions. She joined McClatchy in 2023 after covering local news in Youngstown, Ohio, for over six years. Jennifer has made several achievements in her journalism career, including receiving the Robert R. Hare Award in English, the Emerging Leader Justice and Equality Award, the Regional Edward R. Murrow Award and the Distinguished Hispanic Ohioan Award.

    [ad_2]

    Jennifer Rodriguez

    Source link