ReportWire

Tag: noco

  • Some northern Colorado districts delay next school year to avoid August heat

    [ad_1]

    LOVELAND, Colo. — As we wrap up this year, some northern Colorado school districts are already planning ahead for the beginning of the next school year because of something we have been following for you for a while: the lack of air conditioning.

    The Thompson School District, which serves the city of Loveland and parts of Larimer, Weld and Boulder counties, just approved a new calendar with a later start date to help students avoid those boiling summer days in the classroom.

    As we wrap up this year, some northern Colorado school districts are already planning for the start of next school year because of something we have been following for you for a while: the lack of air conditioning.

    The Thompson School District just approved a new calendar with a later start date to help students avoid intense summer heat in classrooms.
    It’s a relief for some teachers in the district, like Amanda Myers.

    “My classroom has been, in August and September, it’s been maybe 87 degrees,” she told Denver7. “That’s just with me in there. When you have children in there, it’s really hot in the classrooms. They’re miserable. They’re not learning. So I think pushing it back is a great idea.”

    The district is pushing back the start of the school year by a week, to fall 2026, due to high temperatures and a lack of air conditioning in some schools.

    TSD’s calendar committee spent the past few months drawing on feedback from a community calendar survey and guidance from the Negotiations Team, district policy, and state guidelines to make the changes.

    The 2026-2027 school year will start on August 20, and the 2027-2028 school year will start on August 19.

    Earlier this month, Poudre School District officials opted for similar calendar changes.

    The 2026-2027 school year will start on August 19 for PSD students.

    “We’ve been wrestling with the heat day concern at the beginning of every year for the last several years,” said PSD school board director Scott Schoenbauer.

    The first week of school this year ended in multiple heat-related early-release days for both districts – a hassle for parents forced to rearrange their work schedules on short notice.

    “Yeah, it made it difficult some days,” said TSD parent Michele Heaton.

    Back in August, the Colorado Department of Education told Denver7 that while they do require a minimum of 160 days of instruction, they don’t set guidelines for when the school year should begin.

    Most districts choose to start in early August so they can end the year earlier.

    “It seems like every year they start a little earlier, just a few days here and there, and it just keeps creeping up. So hopefully this will settle it back down,” added Heaton.

    Parents say it’s a start — though teachers like Myers hope it’s the first step to more long-term solutions.

    “In all honesty, we need funding to get our schools air conditioned,” said Myers, “if we could get funding for every building to get air conditioning, that would be great.”

    Denver7

    Denver7 | Your Voice: Get in touch with Adria Iraheta

    Denver7’s Adria Iraheta shares stories that have an impact in all of Colorado’s communities, but specializes in reporting on education and stories in Arapahoe County. If you’d like to get in touch with Adria, fill out the form below to send her an email.

    [ad_2]

    Adria Iraheta

    Source link

  • Northern Colorado business owners rally to feed families hit by SNAP freeze

    [ad_1]

    LARIMER COUNTY, Colo. — At Chicken Salad Chick in Johnstown, it’s more than a lunchtime rush — it’s neighbors doing life over a bite to eat.

    “We really pride ourselves on being a part of the community,” said owner Jessica Zumbrun.

    Zumbrun and her husband own the Chicken Salad Chick locations in Greeley, Windsor, and Johnstown, and are now taking that ethos to a new level. They are offering free kids’ meals to anyone affected by the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) funding freeze, no questions asked.

    Since students already have access to free breakfast and lunch at school, the hope is to help fill the dinnertime gap for families who will lose access to their SNAP benefits on Nov. 1.

    “We posted on Monday, and we have never seen such a response between all of our stores,” she said. “We served, I think it was eight meals right away that came through in Greeley.”

    Facebook

    Over at the Food Bank for Larimer County, volunteers are also doing their part to pay it forward.

    “Just feeling like I’m doing a little something to help with, you know, help people that are having a hard time,” Charlice Wenger told Denver7.

    Wenger and the rest of the volunteers at the Loveland Fresh Food Share Market have their work cut out for them. The line was out the door when Denver7 crews were there Wednesday afternoon.

    The food bank said the number of households that have signed up for the service so far this month is more than triple the average, going from 150 new signups to 478 in October.

    “It is going to be devastating to those families, and so it is hard to prepare, but we’re doing what we can,” said Food Bank for Larimer County CEO Amy Pezzani.

    Pezzani told Denver7 the food bank is pre-purchasing more food, extending open shopping hours, and offering up to $100,000 in emergency food grants to their partners ahead of the freeze.

    More than 600,000 Coloradans are expected to lose their food benefits on Saturday.

    State

    CO Fruit and Vegetable Growers Association asking farmers to help food banks

    On Wednesday afternoon, Colorado Democratic Congressman Joe Neguse blamed Republicans for these lost SNAP benefits. Neguse said the Trump administration has the power to release these benefits, but won’t.

    “It is outrageous that the Trump administration can come up with $40 billion to bail out Argentina and refuses to spend the money that Congress has appropriated to feed hungry families in America,” said Neguse.

    Republicans, on the other hand, blame Democrats for the shutdown.

    Colorado is part of a 25-state lawsuit against the Trump administration over SNAP benefits.

    Politics

    Colorado challenges SNAP cutoff in federal court

    With massive impacts ahead, food banks across the state are calling for a stop to the shutdown.

    “As much we, as folks who are in the charitable food system, are here to help, and we do this every day, we cannot make up for the loss of $120 million in benefits in just a couple of weeks. It’s really impossible,” said Pezzani. “What I hope to see is that our lawmakers make some decisions that will change this trajectory, because this is a place nobody in America should be.”

    For now, the northern Colorado community will continue to find creative ways to help each other get by. The staff at Chicken Salad Chick is preparing extra food every day to get ready for the increase in need.

    “It’s not a lot, but we’re really hoping that other businesses, if they have the ability to do that, they’re able to step forward and maybe offer some assistance as well,” said Zumbrun.

    Coloradans in need of food assistance can check out the following resources below:

    The governor’s office suggested Coloradans call 211 or (866) 760-5489 or visit the 211 Colorado website. There is also a list of resources through the Feeding Colorado website, or by email: info@feedingcolorado.org.

    Those looking for the most up-to-date information should click here.

    • Denver7 Gives has created a campaign to help Coloradans struggling with food insecurity. Click on the form below and select “Help Fight Food Insecurity“ to donate.

    [ad_2]

    Adria Iraheta

    Source link