Strong surf, winds wash out Ponce Inlet jetty walkway months after repairs
THE PONCE INLET JETTY HAS NOW BEEN WASHED AWAY. TAKE A LOOK AT THIS PHOTO THAT SHOWS THE AFTERMATH OF THE ROUGH SURF AND HIGH TIDE ALONG THE VOLUSIA COUNTY COAST. YOU SEE THE ROCKS AND THEN THE WOOD JUST TOSSED ALL AROUND HERE AS WESH TWO SPENCER TRACY EXPLAINS, THIS WASHOUT COMES AFTER MONTHS OF REPAIR. LINDSAY. THE HIGH SURF IS CLEARLY VISIBLE. CHECK OUT THE WAVES, JUST HOW BIG THEY ARE, AND I THINK THE BIGGER PICTURE IS SHOWING THOSE WAVES CRASHING AGAINST THAT JETTY WALKWAY. AND THAT’S WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE DAMAGE TO IT. AND WE’VE HEARD FROM SOME FISHERMEN THAT TELL US IT’S AFFECTING THEIR LIVELIHOOD, THAT THEY’RE NOT ABLE TO GO OUT THERE RIGHT NOW. AT THIS MOMENT, WE KNOW THE COUNTY STAFF BUILT THIS TEMPORARY WOODEN WALKWAY, MUCH TO THE DELIGHT OF THE FISHERMEN WHO FREQUENT THE AREA. A COUNTY SPOKESPERSON SAYS THE WALKWAY WAS DAMAGED RECENTLY AND CLOSED, BUT THESE CONDITIONS HAVE TAKEN THE WHOLE THING. THE COUNTY PLANS TO EXTEND THE CONCRETE JETTY, BUT IT’S A LENGTHY PROCESS REQUIRING FEDERAL APPROVAL FROM THE ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS. IT’S JUST ONE EXAMPLE OF HOW THIS NASTY WEATHER IS IMPACTING THE COAST. WE LIVE IN IN DAYTONA BEACH SHORES ON THE RIVER, AND MY HUSBAND’S BEEN IN THAT HOUSE SINCE THE 70S AND NEVER HAS THE WATER BEEN THAT HIGH. WHEN THERE’S NOT A STORM, A HURRICANE. SO SWIMMING IN THE WATER ALONG VOLUSIA SHORELINE WAS PROHIBITED YESTERDAY AS THE COUNTY WAS UNDER A DOUBLE RED FLAG WARNING. THAT’S ALL BECAUSE OF THE STRONG RIP CURRENTS AND AS WELL AS A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF DEBRIS. THEY’RE ASKING PEOPLE NOT TO TOUCH SEAWEED THAT WASHES UP, SAYING IT PLAYS AN IMPORTANT ROLE IN RENOURISHMENT. THE COUNTY SAYS ONCE THE WEATHER GETS BETTER, THAT’S WHEN THEY PLAN TO HAVE CREWS GO OUT THERE AND REPAIR THAT JETTY. BUT AS YOU CAN SEE RIGHT NOW, THAT’S DEFINITELY NOT HAPPENING TODAY. AS YOU CAN SEE, THE RIP CURRENTS ARE STILL REALLY STRONG. AND AS WE WERE HEADING INTO THE INLET, OFFICIALS TOLD US THAT RIGHT NOW THEY’RE UNDER A RED FLAG WARNING. SO THEY’RE STILL URGING PEOPLE NOT TO GO IN THE WATER AS IT CAN BE DANGEROUS. I’M COVERING VOLUSIA COUNTY IN PONCE INLET.
Strong surf, winds wash out Ponce Inlet jetty walkway months after repairs
Updated: 9:34 AM EDT Oct 12, 2025
The Ponce Inlet jetty walkway, which reopened in May, was washed out to sea Saturday morning due to high surf and windy weather along the coast.The whole section of the jetty had been getting clobbered by high surf for a few days.It had been closed following Hurricane Milton and reopened in May.The county had finished work on the wooden portion of the walkway in time for Memorial Day, bringing smiles to the faces of fishermen who frequent the area.However, the high surf conditions and wind washed it out to sea Saturday morning.The county said it had been closed since Hurricane Imelda damaged it a little more than a week ago.Many people have been asking why not drive pilings into the ground and make the whole thing concrete?The short answer is that this walkway has always been temporary.The county plans to extend the concrete deck, but has to get plans approved by the Army Corps of Engineers before work can begin.A county spokesperson said staff will be out clearing debris once conditions improve.
The Ponce Inlet jetty walkway, which reopened in May, was washed out to sea Saturday morning due to high surf and windy weather along the coast.
The whole section of the jetty had been getting clobbered by high surf for a few days.
It had been closed following Hurricane Milton and reopened in May.
The county had finished work on the wooden portion of the walkway in time for Memorial Day, bringing smiles to the faces of fishermen who frequent the area.
However, the high surf conditions and wind washed it out to sea Saturday morning.
The county said it had been closed since Hurricane Imelda damaged it a little more than a week ago.
Many people have been asking why not drive pilings into the ground and make the whole thing concrete?
The short answer is that this walkway has always been temporary.
The county plans to extend the concrete deck, but has to get plans approved by the Army Corps of Engineers before work can begin.
A county spokesperson said staff will be out clearing debris once conditions improve.

































































