ReportWire

Tag: mayor mamdani

  • Queens man shot by NYPD during mental health crisis indicted on assault charge | amNewYork

    [ad_1]

    A 22-year-old Queens man who was shot multiple times by police during what authorities described as a mental health crisis has been indicted on attempted assault and weapon charges — prompting criticism from his family, defense attorneys, and Mayor Zohran Mamdani.

    A grand jury indicted Jabez Chakraborty, of Briarwood, on charges of first-degree attempted assault and fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon, Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced on Friday. 

    Chakraborty — who had been on a ventilator, at one point, while hospitalized after the shooting — was arraigned before Queens Supreme Court Justice Jessica Earle-Gargan, who ordered him to return to court on March 11. He faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted.

    District Attorney Katz said that, according to the charges and investigation, on Jan. 26 at approximately 10:25 a.m., a 911 call was placed by one of Chakraborty’s relatives reporting that he was throwing glass inside the family home.

    When two NYPD officers arrived and were let inside, they saw Chakraborty in the kitchen, according to prosecutors and body-cam footage released earlier this month. He then grabbed a large knife and started walking toward them.

    “The defendant allegedly advanced toward the officer and changed his grip on the knife to flip the blade upside down while winding his right arm back,” the district attorney’s office said.

    When an officer backed up and closed a door separating the home’s foyer from the living room, Chakraborty allegedly opened the foyer door and continued toward the officer, who fired four times at him. The officer instructed Chakraborty to put the knife down at least eight times before discharging his firearm, according to prosecutors.

    Chakraborty was transported to Jamaica Hospital Medical Center, where he has been receiving treatment since the incident.

    Jabez Chakraborty was shot at his Briarwood, Queens home on Jan. 26, after his family called 911 seeking an ambulance for their son, who they say was in emotional distress.Photo Provided by Chakraborty Family

    “As alleged, the defendant tried to attack a police officer while holding a large knife, ignored repeated commands to drop the weapon, and then forcibly pushed through a door the officer was using as a shield to protect himself,” Katz said in the release. 

    “The officer then discharged his weapon and hit Jabez Chakraborty four times. As prosecutors, we are duty-bound to follow the facts, evidence and circumstances where they lead us, including in cases that have a mental health component. These decisions, however, must be thoughtful, deliberative and based on the expertise of mental health professionals. Dispositions can take vastly different forms, and I will use the resources of my office to address the unique needs in this case while upholding my responsibility to keep this borough safe.”

    Advocates and family fume over indictment

    Julie Chakraborty, the mother of Jabez, described the charges as a “nightmare” and called for DA Katz to drop the charges. 

    “We didn’t need police, we just needed medical transport. When we called 911 for an ambulance, we never could have imagined that we would end up here today,” she said. “Jabez and our family were safe in our home until the NYPD arrived. Now Jabez is recovering from multiple surgeries, handcuffed to a hospital bed. He has a long, difficult recovery ahead. Now, DA Katz wants to put him in prison. Hasn’t he suffered enough? Locking him up will destroy his life. All we want is for him to be able to heal.”

    Chakraborty added that the ordeal has been “traumatizing” for the family, saying they had witnessed Jabez being shot “right in front of us.”

    “Then the NYPD interrogated us about our immigration status, took our phones, and kept us from seeing him. Now Jabez is being unjustly charged with a crime and we are being forced to pay bail to the system that keeps hurting him,” she said. “DA Katz must have no heart at all. Why does she want to torture a young man who has already suffered so much? Our family is demanding that she drop these charges against Jabez and that he be unshackled as he recovers.”

    The Legal Aid Society, which is representing Chakraborty, said he has no prior criminal convictions and was shot multiple times after his family requested medical help.

    “Jabez Chakraborty, who has no prior criminal convictions, was shot multiple times by NYPD officers and is now fighting to recover,” the organization said in a statement. “His family requested an ambulance, seeking trained medical responders.”

    The group said Chakraborty underwent multiple surgeries, was placed on a ventilator, and remains hospitalized. It added that he has been shackled to his bed and under constant police supervision while drifting in and out of consciousness.

    In their statements, the Legal Aid Society and the Chakraborty family also alleged that officers questioned family members about their immigration status, seized their phones and passwords, and held them at a precinct for hours without clear information about Chakraborty’s condition. Police officials have not publicly responded to those claims.

    “Full discovery from the District Attorney’s office is still pending and will be carefully reviewed. Like every New Yorker represented by our office, Mr. Chakraborty will receive a robust and vigorous defense,” Legal Aid said. 

    Gideon Oliver, Jabez’s civil attorney, said DA Katz’s “rushed, secret indictment of Jabez and request that the Court remand him are both unnecessary and unconscionable.” 

    “Jabez needs real help – not being locked up. We call on her to do the right thing and drop the charges,” Oliver said in a statement. 

    Prior to Friday’s arraignment, Mayor Mamdani said he had not spoken directly with the district attorney but expressed sympathy for the family and questioned the decision to prosecute.

    “No family should have to endure this kind of pain,” Mamdani said. “What they need right now is care, dignity, and support.”

    The mayor said Chakraborty “should not be prosecuted” and instead should be receiving mental health treatment.

    “His handcuffs should be removed, and he should be receiving the care that he needs,” Mamdani said. “Moments like this lay bare what so many New Yorkers already know — that our city must build a mental health response rooted in prevention, compassion and crisis care.”

    [ad_2]

    Adam Daly

    Source link

  • MAMDANI’S FIRST 100 DAYS: New mayor gets started by revoking Adams-era orders, relaunches tenant rights office – amNewYork

    [ad_1]

    Mayor Zohran Mamdani pictured signing three of his first five executive orders aimed at tackling the city’s housing crisis during a press conference at an apartment building in Brooklyn

    Photo by Michael Appleton/Mayoral Photography Office

    It’s Thursday, Jan. 1, the first day of Zohran Mamdani’s term as mayor. amNewYork is following Mamdani around his first 100 days in office as we closely track his progress on fulfilling campaign promises, appointing key leaders to government posts, and managing the city’s finances. Here’s a summary of what the mayor did today.

    After a rousing, populist inauguration speech Thursday afternoon in which New York City’s new mayor promised to rule “audaciously” for all New Yorkers while remaining true to his democratic socialist roots, Zohran Mamdani moved decisively to mark a new era in city governance.

    Upon officially becoming mayor at midnight, Mamdani wasted no time in appointing Mike Flynn as his Department of Transportation commissioner. With the celebration of inauguration behind him Thursday evening, Mamdani stayed on the job — reviving a mothballed office focused on tenants’ rights and appointing someone to lead it; reorganizing and formalizing his leadership team’s responsibilities; and creating two new task forces aimed at making housing more affordable citywide. 

    Mamdani also revoked a series of executive orders issued by former Mayor Eric Adams after Sept. 26, 2024 – the date he was federally indicted.

    Those revoked orders from the past 16 months that former Mayor Adams issued include barring city officials and appointees from discriminating against Israel, which many saw as a way to “Mamdani-proof” city investments from any potential revocation from the new mayor, who has been highly critical of the Israeli government and previously supported the Boycott, Divest and Sanction (BDS) movement. After Adams signed that executive order in early December, Mamdani said he would review “every single one” of his predecessor’s directives, signaling that reversals were likely once he entered City Hall.

    Another now-revoked order directed Police Commissioner Jessica Tisch to evaluate proposals for regulating protests near houses of worship. A separate September order directing city agencies to prepare for a 2026 phaseout of the horse carriage industry was also nullified, though the City Council would have needed to pass legislation for that transition to occur

    Mamdani’s executive order preserved orders that Adams signed prior to Sept. 26, 2024, that were still in effect at the end of Adams’ term – including one order that established the Office to Combat Antisemitism.

    Mamdani also signed four new orders focused on reorganizing the mayor’s senior leadership team, revitalizing the Mayor’s Office to Protect Tenants, and launching two new task forces designed to expedite housing construction and reduce bureaucratic delays.

    “Today marks the first step in building an administration that works for all New Yorkers,” Mamdani said in a statement. “We’ve established the foundations of it, and now it’s time to deliver on our affordability agenda, tackle the challenges facing New Yorkers, and usher in a new era for New York City — one that proves that government can deliver for working people.”

    Affordability: Mamdani revitalizes Office to Protect Tenants

    Mayor Mamdani appointed Cea Weaver, a nationally recognized tenant organizer and housing advocate, to lead the office during a press conference at a Pinnacle Realty–owned building in Brooklyn as the mayor announced the city would intervene in the landlord’s bankruptcy proceedings.

    The Mayor’s Office to Protect Tenants, which will serve as a central coordinating body to defend tenants’ rights, confront negligent landlords, and push city agencies to act more quickly on unsafe or illegal housing conditions.

    The Mamdani administration stated that Pinnacle has been cited for thousands of housing violations and complaints across dozens of buildings. City officials the city is seeking immediate relief to improve conditions and reduce the risk of tenant displacement, an intervention Mamdani described as an unprecedented step on behalf of renters.

    Mamdani pictured touring the Pinnacle Realty owned apartment buildingPhoto by Michael Appleton/Mayoral Photography Office

    In addition to the tenant office overhaul, Mamdani signed executive orders creating two housing-focused task forces. The LIFT Task Force — short for Land Inventory Fast Track — will review city-owned properties and identify sites suitable for housing development by July 1, 2026. The SPEED Task Force, or Streamlining Procedures to Expedite Equitable Development, will work to identify and remove permitting and bureaucratic barriers that slow construction and delay lease-ups.

    Both task forces will be overseen by Deputy Mayor for Housing and Planning Leila Bozorg, with the SPEED Task Force also co-led by Deputy Mayor of Operations Julia Kerson.

    Governing: Mamdani resets City Hall operations

    Mamdani also used his first day to reset City Hall’s internal operations, establishing the structure of the new administration, formalizing the five deputy mayors’ roles and appointing senior leadership, including Dean Fuleihan as the first deputy mayor and Julia Su as deputy mayor of economic justice.

    One executive order revoked all prior mayoral executive orders issued on or after Sept. 26, 2024 — the day then-Mayor Adams was officially indicted on federal fraud charges for alleged campaign finance fraud. Adams vehemently denied the charges and alleged they were politically motivated because of his criticism of then-President Biden over his migrant policy. 

    But after President Trump took office again in 2025, the Justice Department moved to have the case against Adams dismissed; a federal judge eventually agreed to the government’s request and dropped them “with prejudice,” meaning the charges could not be re-raised. Nonetheless, there were allegations of a quid pro quo between Adams and Trump that moved many in city and state government, and in public opinion, to turn against the mayor.

    Mamdani said the orders issued after the date of Adams’ indictment “time and time again come up against the interests of working-class people and what they need from their mayor,” but emphasized that essential offices, including the Office to Combat Antisemitism, would be retained, with the administration committed to “not only protecting Jewish New Yorkers, but to celebrate and cherish them.”

    When asked about why he chose the date that Adams federally indicted, Mamdani said the date “marked a moment when many New Yorkers decided that politics held nothing for them but more of the same,” and that his administration is “showcasing…how we will stand alongside the New Yorkers who have been left behind, but also the structures we will create such that New Yorkers…can know the truth of that commitment.”

    [ad_2]

    Adam Daly

    Source link