ReportWire

Tag: jury deliberation

  • Panel tosses ex-UCLA doctor’s sex abuse conviction; lawyers weren’t told of juror’s ‘limited English’

    [ad_1]

    An appeals court on Monday overturned a conviction for an ex-UCLA gynecologist serving 11 years in prison on charges of sexually abusing patients after determining that the trial judge failed to inform his lawyers that some of the jurors raised questions about the English proficiency of one of the panel members.

    A three-justice panel of the California 2nd District Court of Appeal ordered that the once-renowned cancer expert, James Heaps, 69, be sent back for a retrial on the charges involving the two patients he was convicted of abusing.

    In October 2022, after a complex two-month jury trial, Heaps was convicted of three counts of sexual battery by fraud and two counts of sexual penetration involving the two patients. Jurors acquitted him of abusing two other patients and deadlocked on charges involving four more patients. In April 2023, a judge sentenced him to 11 years in prison.

    The University of California system paid nearly $700 million to settle lawsuits brought by hundreds of Heaps’ accusers.

    John Manly, who represented more than 200 former patients in a lawsuit that resulted in the settlement with UCLA, said the reversal of Heaps’ conviction is “an indictment of California’s criminal justice system which allows criminals to threaten public safety and prey upon the most vulnerable.’’

    “These brave survivors suffered through a four-year ordeal of prosecution and trial resulting in an 11-year prison sentence for this monster,” he said. “Now they are being told that they must start over. … Our criminal justice system needs reforms that put victims first.’’

    During the jury deliberations, Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Michael Carter, who presided over the trial, sent a judicial assistant, Luis Corrales, into the jury room to speak to the jury about a note sent by the foreperson describing the jurors’ “collective concern” that Juror No. 15 “did not speak English sufficiently to deliberate and had already made up his mind,” the appeals panel wrote.

    Juror No. 15 had been an alternate on the jury, but on Oct. 18 he replaced Juror No. 8. Only an hour later, the jury sent the note, signed by the foreperson. The note stated, “We have observed that the language barrier with Juror [No.] 15 is preventing us from properly deliberating. Juror [No.] 15 was not able to understand calls to vote guilty or not guilty, and expressed to us that his limited English interfered with his understanding of the testimony.”

    The judicial assistant spoke to the jury in English and, at the request of Juror No. 15, in Spanish. “At no time did the trial judge inquire of the jury or inform trial counsel of the note’s existence,” the appeals panel said, adding that the conversations with the judicial assistant were not transcribed.

    Heaps’ defense lawyer was not informed of the note or of the communications, and the trial proceeded to a verdict.

    Leonard Levine, Heaps’ trial lawyer, in a declaration to the appeals panel, said that had he been informed of the note, he would have sought to determine whether Juror No. 15 was “qualified to serve” and investigated the juror’s limited English and the jury’s view that Juror No. 15’s mind “is already made up.”

    The Court of Appeal found “the trial court’s handling of the note deprived defendant of his constitutional right to counsel at a critical stage of his trial.”

    “The failure to notify counsel about the jury’s note and the judicial assistant’s ex parte communications with the jury during deliberations amounted to a violation of the defendant’s Sixth Amendment right to counsel,” the panel found. The three-judge panel noted that it did not assess the juror’s English ability; rather, that was the shared opinion of the juror’s fellow jurors.

    The appellate court found that the prosecution failed to meet its burden to demonstrate, beyond a reasonable doubt, that the constitutional error was harmless. As a result, the panel reversed the conviction and remanded it for a new trial.

    “We recognize the burden on the trial court and, regrettably, on the witnesses, in requiring retrial of a case involving multiple victims and delving into the conduct of intimate medical examinations. The importance of the constitutional right to counsel at critical junctures in a criminal trial gives us no other choice,” acting Presiding Justice Helen I. Bendix wrote on behalf of the panel, with Associate Justices Gregory J. Weingart and Michelle C. Kim concurring.

    The ruling overturns Heaps’ convictions for sexual battery by fraud, a crime jurors found involved separate acts of violence or threats of violence, two counts of sexual penetration of an unconscious person by fraudulent representation and two counts of sexual battery by fraud. He is currently at California’s Correctional Training Facility in Soledad.

    [ad_2]

    Richard Winton

    Source link

  • Jurors deliberate after closing arguments in Brooks Sandwich House murder case

    [ad_1]

    Scott Brooks and David Brooks are twins who took over their father’s business, Brooks’ Sandwich House.

    Scott Brooks and David Brooks are twins who took over their father’s business, Brooks’ Sandwich House.

    CharlotteFive

    For six years, David Brooks has wondered if the men accused of killing his twin, Scott, will face justice.

    On Monday, Brooks and his family watched attorneys make closing arguments in Mecklenburg County Superior Court — moving jurors one step closer to deciding if Terry Connor and Steven Staples are guilty of shooting and killing Scott Brooks, 61, at his family’s restaurant, Brooks Sandwich House, on Dec. 9, 2019.

    “It’s been long and lengthy, but I’m glad we’re probably coming to a close,” Brooks said in an interview with The Charlotte Observer Monday.

    An assistant district attorney and two defense attorneys representing Connor and Staples gave closing arguments, hoping to sway 12 jurors and three alternates on five potential charges. The charges include first-degree murder, robbery with a firearm, conspiracy to commit robbery with a firearm, kidnapping and possession of a firearm by a felon. Connor and Staples both pleaded not guilty.

    Men watched, planned killing, prosecutor says

    The state had no eyewitness testimony and surveillance footage only showing two masked people robbing and shooting Scott Brooks at the restaurant. Assistant DA Nikki Robinson had to not only place Connor and Staples at the scene the night of the crime, but prove they were the ones who committed the crime.

    Robinson focused on phone data. She said phone numbers belonging to Connor and Staples at the time of the shooting pinged on towers nearby. She said they pinged on the night of the crime as well as a few days before — when she accused them of staking out the location and planning out the robbery. The phones also pinged at homes she said matched where the two men lived.

    Additionally, Robinson said, no one has testified to say the men were anywhere else the night of the shooting.

    The two men, she said, picked the Brooks brothers’ restaurant because it is a cash-only business and within walking distance from Connor’s home. Robinson showed video surveillance from the night of the shooting.

    The footage showed two people masked at 4:32 a.m. approaching the restaurant. Brooks had just pulled up in his blue Infiniti to begin prepping the restaurant for opening. Within a few minutes, the men approached Brooks, and took him inside the restaurant through the back side door. Robinson said they knew to do this because they watched and planned ahead.

    Footage from inside showed the men taking money from Brooks’ pockets. At one point, Brooks moves and the two people fire four times. Robinson said the men hit Brooks three times after Brooks shot at them and missed, hitting a radiator instead.

    The men ran out at 4:43 a.m., leaving Brooks “moaning for help” and dying, Robinson said. A 911 call went out two minutes later.

    Robinson also cited testimony from a woman who had a child with Connor, Keleasta Smith. Robinson said Smith admitted to police that Connor killed Brooks and got rid of the weapon.

    Defense closing arguments

    But defense attorneys Kenneth Snow and Laura Baker tried to poke holes in the state’s witnesses and evidence. Snow pointed to Smith being an unreliable witness. She lied multiple times to police during interviews, Snow said, and couldn’t be trusted.

    Baker took issue with the state’s argument that the phone data placed the two men at the scene of the crime. The data can only show someone’s approximate location, she said.

    And because there’s no eyewitness testimony, video surveillance only showing two masked men, and no fingerprints or DNA evidence, there’s nothing that proves Connor and Staples are responsible, both attorneys said.

    Both also said the state brought out “props” of unrelated evidence — guns and costume masks not used in the crime but found at their homes — to scare the jurors into a guilty verdict.

    “Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Not in this courtroom,” Baker said. “Close is not guilty.”

    After all three attorneys finished, Judge Louis A. Trosch Jr. sent the jury out for deliberation.

    Asked how he felt about the chances of a guilty verdict, David Brooks said he couldn’t be sure.

    “But the jury’s taking a working lunch,” Brooks said. “So maybe that’s an indication it’s not gonna take too long.”

    Related Stories from Charlotte Observer

    Jeff A. Chamer

    The Charlotte Observer

    Jeff A. Chamer is a breaking news reporter for the Charlotte Observer. He’s lived a few places, but mainly in Michigan where he grew up. Before joining the Observer, Jeff covered K-12 and higher education at the Worcester Telegram & Gazette in Massachusetts.

    [ad_2]

    Jeff A. Chamer

    Source link