ReportWire

Tag: john mccarthy

  • Maryland state’s attorney urges lawmakers to act to help stop scams before seniors lose everything – WTOP News

    [ad_1]

    There are countless stories of people, especially seniors, losing everything to scammers. Montgomery County State’s Attorney John McCarthy wants to change that.

    There are countless stories of people, especially senior citizens, losing everything to scammers. While some of the criminals operating overseas might never be caught, Montgomery County State’s Attorney John McCarthy says state lawmakers can take action by making the punishment tougher for those who are captured in Maryland.

    McCarthy said Maryland’s sentencing guidelines do not reflect the seriousness of the crimes he is seeing. He points to cases where seniors have lost their entire life savings.

    “If you are a (first time) offender and you steal over $100,000, the guidelines — they’re not mandatory — are probation to six months,” McCarthy said.

    He said that recommendation does not match what prosecutors are confronting, calling the schemes “organized criminal, international activity.”

    McCarthy said the current guidelines make the crime worth the risk for scammers.

    “Crime shouldn’t pay. And quite candidly, the way the guidelines are now, crime pays,” McCarthy said.

    He said the emotional toll on victims can be crushing. He recalled a case involving a senior who was pushed to the brink after losing everything.

    “We had a victim here who thought about suicide as a result of having lost everything,” McCarthy said.

    McCarthy said some victims were pressured by scammers to convert their savings into gold bars before handing them over. That is why he wants lawmakers to create additional protections for consumers, including new requirements for gold bar dealers to identify and report suspicious transactions, similar to what is expected of banks.

    “I think you see patterns of activity that become obvious to you that it’s a scam,” McCarthy said.

    He also wants those dealers to notify authorities or warn customers when something appears wrong.

    “Alert the police, or at least call to the attention of the account holder that they’re being scammed,” McCarthy said.

    McCarthy believes these actions by lawmakers would help prevent more Maryland seniors from losing everything.

    Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

    © 2026 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

    [ad_2]

    Mike Murillo

    Source link

  • Catherine Hoggle set for new competency evaluation, potential bond in 2014 disappearance of her two children – WTOP News

    [ad_1]

    Circuit Court Judge James Bonifant stated that Hoggle should not be sent to a group home and must be held at a secure medical facility, where she can receive ongoing treatment.

    A Montgomery County judge is ordering Catherine Hoggle back to a Maryland state-run medical facility, instead of being held in the Montgomery County jail in Clarksburg. The decision came after a 45-minute hearing Tuesday.

    Hoggle sat quietly in the courtroom, only saying a few words to her attorney, wearing a jail jump suit and leg irons, with a bailiff sitting nearby.

    Her lawyer, David Felsen, argued that Hoggle remains incompetent to stand trial, and he said that during her time in the Montgomery County jail, there have been some issues relating to her medical treatment, specifically with her daily medications.

    The state, after obtaining a new indictment on the two murder charges earlier this summer, argued Hoggle is competent to stand trial for the deaths of her two children in 2014. Sarah was 3-years-old when she was last seen and Jacob was 2. The bodies of the two children have never been found.

    Since 2022, when Hoggle’s original indictment was thrown out, Hoggle had been held at the Clifton Perkins Hospital Center in Jessup, Maryland, and for a brief period of time at a group home. She was reindicted in July.

    Under Maryland law a person charged with a felony can only be held for five years if they are declared incompetent to stand trial. In September 2017, three years after the children were reported missing, Hoggle was indicted on two counts of first-degree murder. But two months later, she was ruled incompetent to stand trial, and the murder charges were dropped in November 2022, after a judge maintained she was mentally unfit to stand trial.

    It is likely that Hoggle will be sent back to Perkins, but the judge it’s not clear when that will happen, due to ongoing issues at the facility.

    “It could be today, it may be later in the week,” Montgomery County Circuit Court Judge James Bonifant said. “We’ll keep you informed.”

    In his ruling, Bonifant said Hoggle is not to be sent to a group home and must be held at what he called a secure medical facility where she can receive ongoing treatment. When Hoggle was rearrested this summer, she was living at a group home in Chestertown, Maryland, after being discharged from Perkins.

    The judge has scheduled a two-day competency hearing for Dec. 8 and 9, when medical professionals, along with the defense and prosecutors, will be able to present their case regarding Hoggle’s competency.

    After the court hearing, the Hoggle children’s father, Troy Turner, spoke with WTOP. Turner was critical of the county’s judicial system, which he said has allowed the women who killed his children to avoid justice.

    “We’ve had three judges since July alone, somewhere in the neighborhood of 13 total judges on this,” he said. “You’re hearing things that are being stated, restated, stated, restated, and then being even taken differently by different judges. So, I don’t feel like the system is giving this, or the courts are giving this the attention it deserves. I don’t feel like it’s being taken that seriously.”

    Turner said he is still looking for answers as to where the remains of the two children may be and more than 11 years after their deaths, he said he believes Hoggle knows where they may be.

    “My primary thing is I want to find my kids. In the end, she’s not that important to me,” Turner said. “We’ve spent 11 years looking for my kids, and we will find them or die looking for them. It hurts; it never gets better with time.”

    WTOP’s Neal Augenstein contributed to this report. 

    Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

    © 2025 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

    [ad_2]

    Dan Ronan

    Source link

  • Cold-case killer sentenced to 22 years in prison for 2001 murder of Montgomery Co. mother – WTOP News

    [ad_1]

    Eugene Gligor will serve 22 years in prison for the cold-case killing of a Montgomery County, Maryland, mother.

    Leslie Preer, 50, was found dead inside her Chevy Chase home in 2001. (Courtesy Montgomery County police)

    It took investigators two decades to solve the cold-case murder of a mother attacked inside her Montgomery County, Maryland, home in May 2001.

    Family members of the murder victim, Leslie Preer, shouted, “Yes,” inside the courtroom Thursday as the 30-year sentence was handed down.

    A judge sentenced now 45-year-old Eugene Gligor to 30 years in prison with all but 22 suspended. He will serve five years of supervised probation after his release from prison.

    The sentence closes out a cold case that went unsolved for 23 years until forensic genetic genealogy testing linked Gligor to the crime scene inside the Chevy Chase house where the Preers lived.

    Killer says, ‘Leslie always was very kind to me’

    Gligor had dated Preer’s daughter Lauren when she was a teenager. The two broke up years before the homicide.

    A total of seven family members, including Lauren, read victim impact statements during Thursday’s hearing.

    Gligor apologized and took responsibility for the murder, claiming he had been drinking alcohol and using cocaine at the time.

    Leslie always was very kind to me,” Gligor told the courtroom. 

    An autopsy later found that Leslie been strangled and her head was “battered onto the foyer floor.” Graphic photos shown in court during the sentencing hearing showed the bloody scene and pointed to signs of a struggle.

    Investigators reexamined the cold case in 2024 using DNA samples found at the family’s home. That led police to identify Gligor as a potential suspect — and DNA collected from a water bottle he threw away helped confirm he was at the crime scene.

    One week later, he was taken into custody. Gligor was initially charged with first-degree murder and faced the potential of life in prison.

    But prosecutors later said there was no evidence to suggest the homicide was premeditated, which would be required for a first-degree murder conviction.

    Gligor pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in May.

    The Montgomery County State’s Attorney’s Office had asked for a 30-year sentence, which is above the sentencing guidelines of 10 to 18 years for second-degree murder.

    WTOP’s Dan Ronan contributed to this report. 

    Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

    © 2025 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

    [ad_2]

    Jessica Kronzer

    Source link

  • Sentence for DC man convicted of 2023 murder astonishes Montgomery Co.’s top prosecutor – WTOP News

    Sentence for DC man convicted of 2023 murder astonishes Montgomery Co.’s top prosecutor – WTOP News

    [ad_1]

    A Southeast D.C. man was sentenced to life in prison Friday with all but 15 years suspended for the deadly stabbing of a Rockville, Maryland, man last year.

    A Southeast D.C. man was sentenced Friday to life in prison, with all but 15 years suspended and another five years of supervised probation upon release for the deadly stabbing of a Rockville, Maryland, man in 2023.

    Tyrone Curtis, 35, was convicted of first-degree murder in January for killing Amontae Cunningham, 29, on April 5, 2023.

    Cunningham was a passenger on a Metrobus and had gotten into an argument with Curtis, according to court documents. When the bus stopped in front of a parking garage at 11304 Amherst Avenue in Wheaton, Cunningham got off the bus. Curtis followed, and then stabbed Cunningham in the torso.

    Cunningham and Curtis did not know one another before the argument, according to the Montgomery County State’s Attorney’s Office.

    Video of the stabbing was captured by the Metrobus’ surveillance cameras.

    “The State sought a life sentence in this case and finds an executed sentence of 15 years to be stunning. It is inconsistent with the facts of the case and the verdict returned by the jury. Right now, our hearts are with the victim’s family,” Montgomery County State’s Attorney John McCarthy said in a statement.

    Curtis was sentenced by Montgomery County Circuit Court Judge Jeannie Cho.

    Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

    © 2024 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

    [ad_2]

    Matt Small

    Source link