ReportWire

Tag: Houston Police Chief Troy Finner

  • Report Into HPD’s Shelved Cases Released by Houston Police Department

    Report Into HPD’s Shelved Cases Released by Houston Police Department

    [ad_1]

    Acting Houston Police Chief Larry Satterwhite did not mince his words as he warned Houston City Council on Wednesday that without more staff, the Houston Police Department will remain unable to investigate all the cases brought to the agency.

    “That’s something I don’t want to tell you — and certainly not in this position — but that is honesty,” Satterwhite said. “We simply cannot investigate all crimes. Not until we get more people. We desperately need more people.”

    Satterwhite stressed the need to prioritize recruiting while presenting the key findings of a widely anticipated report that unveiled more information about the use of a “suspended-lack of personnel” code used by the Houston Police Department.

    News of the code’s use across the department broke in February when former Houston Police Chief Troy Finner announced that it had caused more than 264,000 incident reports to be shelved without further investigation.

    Satterwhite detailed the origin of the code, tying its creation to the administration under former interim police chief Martha Montalvo — who led the department in 2016 briefly before former Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo took over.

    According to Satterwhite, the first major failing was the need for more guidelines attached to the code. Those using it would focus on cases they determined to have solvability. Hundreds of thousands of incident reports with workable leads that could’ve led to arrests — he admitted — were neglected as a result.

    “Once they were suspended, they were never revisited,” he said.

    Houston Mayor John Whitmire interrupted Satterwhite to question the content of these cases. Satterwhite confirmed of the more than 264,000 suspended cases, many involved serious sexual assaults and at least two were murders. He added that the number of murders could increase as further review continues.

    Whitmire contended that some of the “worst of the worst” cases went backlogged for years.

    Satterwhite detailed the case that spurred the deep dive into the code. Officers responded to a call involving a robbery and sexual assault and found that the suspect involved in that incident was linked to a prior sexual assault. However, the first sexual assault, in which the complainant had named the suspect and the suspect’s vehicle, had been suspended.

    The department found that over 4,000 sexual assault cases had been shelved using the code. Those with the agency also discovered that 264,371 cases had gone uninvestigated across all divisions.

    “The scope of this and the magnitude of it was truly not known until February,” Satterwhite said. “That’s a failure of leadership. At the executive level, we should have asked more questions and we could have done more.”

    Satterwhite said investigators with the Special Victims Division had been told to stop using the code in specific cases several years ago. In 2017, investigators with the division had found that 1,600 child sexual assault cases had been suspended.

    Then-Commander of the Special Victims Division David Angelo requested that the department hire more investigators for the division and ordered that the code never be applied to a child sexual assault case. However, Satterwhite noted, it continued to be used in adult sexual assault cases.

    Houston City Council member Martha Castex-Tatum challenged why the department could avoid using it for incidents involving children but couldn’t extend it to reports from adults. Satterwhite said it was another “miss” by the agency.

    According to Satterwhite, Finner also gave all departments another directive about not using the code in 2021. Officers continued to use it, and the code remained in the department’s record management system as it could not be removed without the software crashing.

    Houston City Council member Amy Peck asked if those who applied the code to cases after Finner’s directive faced disciplinary action. Satterwhite said they were not held accountable because they technically operated within department policy.

    The code was used for roughly eight years. Of the 264,371 cases, 176,221 have been reviewed, and 81,079 have had a final disposition entered. Satterwhite noted that the department pulled officers who patrol and have other duties off the streets to continue chipping away at the cases it has left to investigate.

    “I’m still shocked that this could exist for so many years and not become public,” Whitmire said. “You aren’t going to fix something until it comes public.”

    click to enlarge

    Mayor John Whitmire reiterated his disbelief that it took this long for the code to come to light.

    Screenshot

    Several reports have indicated that Finner knew prior to 2021, as an email mentioning the code was sent to staff in 2018 with the former police chief copied on it. However, Finner maintained that he did not know about it then.

    On Wednesday, Satterwhite said it was “very fair” to say Finner was not being dishonest when saying he did not recall the email discussing the code’s use.

    Whitmire announced the report would be finalized and presented to the public hours after the Houston Chronicle published comments by the former police chief.

    Finner expressed concerns that the department’s report may not reach a conclusion that would be available to the public. Before Finner’s retirement, he had released routine updates about its progress. When Satterwhite took over, these halted.

    Whitmire responded to Finner in a statement, saying he was “personally disappointed” that Finner felt motivated to make these “allegations.” Whitmire wrote that Finner’s comments did not deserve a response insisting the facts didn’t support them.

    Whitmire had repeatedly delayed the report’s release since Finner’s retirement. Finner stepped down abruptly shortly after news broke of the code’s use.

    Read the full report here:

    [ad_2]

    Faith Bugenhagen

    Source link

  • What Houston Police Chief Troy Finner’s Departure Says About Mayor Whitmire’s Reign

    What Houston Police Chief Troy Finner’s Departure Says About Mayor Whitmire’s Reign

    [ad_1]

    One Houston-area political science expert argues Houston Police Chief Troy Finner’s choice to abruptly step down amid ongoing issues surrounding hundreds of thousands of suspended cases has more to say about Houston John Whitmire’s leadership than the chief’s.

    “How many problems can this current mayor have? He’s incurring — what I would call — a loss of faith,” Rice University political science professor Bob Stein said. “Particularly among white progressive voters who supported him.

    “But yet, on the other hand, this whole Finner problem is a complete loss of trust in mostly communities of color, lower class communities and disproportionately women,” Stein added. “Whitmire’s not talked about how he’s going to solve that.”

    Whitmire announced his acceptance of Finner’s retirement in a late-night Tuesday email to city employees. This notification came roughly hours after Finner took to X to address reports of an email circulating from 2018 that included language about cases that were thrown out due to a lack of personnel.

    Finner said although the phrase “suspended lack of personnel” was included in the email, nothing alerted him to the existence of a code or how it was applied within the department.

    Finner had previously told the public that he was unaware until 2021 that the Houston Police Department had used a code to suspend more than 260,000 cases that the department could not handle because of its limited workforce.

    Stein said that in addition to losing Finner, Whitmire has lost his housing and public works directors. He added that the only department head Whitmire appears to have firmly in place is Melissa Bukowski, Houston’s Finance Director, responsible for the budget and other city financial operations.

    Whitmire addressed Finner’s decision to step down at Houston City Council on Wednesday, saying that accepting his retirement was tough but in the best interest of Houstonians. He added that the investigation into the suspended cases — initially launched by Finner in February —  had become disruptive to the department.

    Several local advocacy groups took issue with department personnel looking into their agency’s operations, questioning whether it could be conducted impartially.

    “I think many of these civil rights groups felt like they had an ally in Finner. He was highly popular with the people,” Houston-based civil rights attorney Randall Kallinen said. “That is probably generally why Finner was able to weather this particular instance for the time he did.”

    “But once again, when you take an objective look at what we’re dealing with, over 260,000 cases were set aside,” Kallinen added. “That is an astronomical amount.”

    Kallinen had previously called for Finner to step down from the investigation. However, Kallinen said, it was a matter of time before Finner was out. He described the email from 2018 as the “straw that broke the camel’s back.”

    Whitmire selected Larry Satterwhite, former executive assistant chief, to serve as the active police chief until he chooses a permanent replacement, whether Satterwhite or an out-of-town contender.

    At a press conference on Wednesday, Satterwhite was quick to give credit to his predecessor, saying he respected the 34-year department veteran.

    “He did do everything he could I think to help, so I really want to acknowledge that and thank him,” Satterwhite said. “He was the one who did promote me to executive assistant chief in 2021.”

    click to enlarge

    Larry Satterwhite will serve as Houston’s interim police chief.

    Screenshot

    Local leaders also flocked to Finner’s support, including former Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner, with whom Whitmire notably shares a somewhat tumultuous relationship, referring to the ex-chief’s decision to step down as a loss to Houston.

    Turner also shared a cryptic post about discrediting an individual’s work and leadership before removing that person who did an excellent job from their position.

    Finner’s statement in response to the email said he would remain committed to sharing the results of the investigation into the suspended cases, which wrapped up last week. Whitmire said he had launched his own independent investigation to review the department’s operations. He has yet to disclose any potential finding from this separate probe.

    Tensions are also high among Whitmire and Houston City Council members over the firefighters’ settlement. According to Stein, Houston controller Chris Hollins entered the dispute after Whitmire canceled a budget and Fiscal Affairs Committee meeting because he did not want Hollins to report to the committee that there were other ways than a bond to handle the settlement.

    More recently, Whitmire has been at odds with the council over Proposition A, a charter amendment that allows three or more council members to put an item on the agenda.

    This measure was approved by two-thirds of Houston-area voters and publicly supported by Whitmire — who is now walking back his previous stance. Stein noted that this is not the only thing Whitmire was reversing course on.

    Whitmire is dismantling several road infrastructure change projects that he claims impede traffic. Many residents looking for more bikeways and protections for bicyclists and pedestrians are not thrilled by the latter.

    “How does a man who gets elected by 63 percent of the vote and spends almost two to three months doing nothing to prepare for taking over the city, then when he takes it over stumbles at every step?” Stein said. “I think there’s a bait and switch here, and Whitmire is going to — already has — suffered for that.”

    “At what point can he continue to blame the previous administration?” He added. “Which may be legitimate. I’m not here defending or attacking Whitmire. But I don’t think it’s been a good run for him.”

    Whitmire’s job rating is decreasing among what Stein refers to as the “polar groups,” or people of color and white progressives. But he said it’s also declining with the more conservative voters who initially backed Whitmire.

    Stein noted that Whitmire’s big test is in June, when he will have to work with other city officials to devise Houston’s budget for the upcoming fiscal year.

    “At this point, he is ill-equipped and understaffed,” Stein said. “Being a legislator and being an executive is really worlds apart, and Whitmire is proving that overwhelmingly,” Stein said. “He thinks he is being a state senator when he stands in Rice Memorial and says, ‘I talked to my neighbors, and they don’t like this roundabout.’”

    “Mayor, it’s not your neighbors that matter, nor your opinion. It’s the voters’ opinion.”

    [ad_2]

    Faith Bugenhagen

    Source link