ReportWire

Tag: Fort Bend ISD

  • Paxton Says Houston ISD Has to Display Ten Commandments Despite Federal Judge’s Ruling

    [ad_1]

    A federal judge ruled last week that 11 Texas school districts, including Cypress-Fairbanks, Fort Bend, and Houston ISDs, don’t have to display the Ten Commandments in every classroom as required by a state law passed earlier this year. On Monday, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton said only nine districts are covered by the temporary injunction, and those that aren’t, including Houston ISD, must hang the posters when the law takes effect on September 1.

    It’s not clear why the federal judge’s order named 11 districts — which were sued by a group of parents and civil rights advocates in Rabbi Nathan v. Alamo Heights Independent School District .— and Paxton’s press release mentions nine, exempting Austin ISD and Houston ISD from relief. Paxton’s press office did not respond to calls or emails on Monday.

    Repeated phone calls and emails to Houston ISD went unanswered for most of the day. A spokesman responded in the afternoon, saying by email, “The District will not be discussing matters with pending litigation.”

    In his latest public statement about the case, Paxton said: “From the beginning, the Ten Commandments have been irrevocably intertwined with America’s legal, moral, and historical heritage. Schools not enjoined by ongoing litigation must abide by SB 10 and display the Ten Commandments. The woke radicals seeking to erase our nation’s history will be defeated. I will not back down from defending the virtues and values that built this country.”

    Paxton is currently challenging longtime U.S. Sen. John Cornyn in the Republican primary and will soon be vacating his seat as attorney general. Cornyn seized the opportunity Monday to make a social media dig at Paxton, who has been accused of adultery and whose wife, Texas Sen. Angela Paxton, recently filed for divorce on “biblical grounds.”

    The school districts affected by the injunction according to Paxton are Alamo Heights, North East, Cypress-Fairbanks, Lackland, Lake Travis, Fort Bend, Dripping Springs, Plano, and Northside, Paxton said in his statement. “All other ISDs must abide by the law once it takes effect on September 1, 2025,” he said.

    In a 55-page ruling issued August 20, U.S. District Judge Fred Biery said the Texas law was unconstitutional and crossed the line from exposure to coercion.

    “[Most people] just want to be left alone, neither proselytized nor ostracized, including what occurs to their children in government-run schools,” Judge Biery wrote in his ruling. “Even though the Ten Commandments would not be affirmatively taught, the captive audience of students likely would have questions, which teachers would feel compelled to answer. That is what they do.”

    Paxton said he immediately appealed the “flawed ruling.” Biery isn’t the only judge who took issue with the Ten Commandments display. The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals deemed it “plainly unconstitutional” just days before Senate Bill 10, authored by Republican Sen. Phil King of Weatherford, was signed into law.

    The Texas law requires that the scripture be displayed on a donated 16-by-20 poster. “While no school is compelled to purchase Ten Commandments displays, schools may choose to do so,” Paxton said in his statement. “However, schools must accept and display any privately donated posters or copies that meet the requirements of SB 10.”

    Kristi Gross, press strategist with the American Civil Liberties Union, said the attorney general’s demand that school districts implement Senate Bill 10 is “unwise and unlawful.”

    “A federal court has ruled that SB 10 is plainly unconstitutional, and school districts have an independent legal obligation to respect the constitutional rights of children and families,” she said. “Districts that flout the First Amendment will be opening themselves up to litigation.”

    [ad_2]

    April Towery

    Source link

  • Judge Blocks Ruling That Ten Commandments Must Be Displayed in School Classrooms

    [ad_1]

    Public school teachers in 11 Texas districts, including three in the Greater Houston area, are blocked from displaying the Ten Commandments in every classroom despite a state law passed in June, a federal judge ruled Wednesday.

    U.S. District Judge Fred Biery issued a preliminary injunction Wednesday in the case of Rabbi Nathan v. Alamo Heights Independent School District. Districts named as defendants in the suit include Houston, Fort Bend, and Cypress-Fairbanks ISDs.

    In the 55-page ruling, Biery said that children can be cruel to their classmates perceived to be “the other” and that Senate Bill 10, approved by the Texas Legislature earlier this year, crosses the line from exposure to coercion.

    “Ultimately, in matters of conscience, faith, beliefs, and the soul, most people are Garbo-esque,” Biery wrote, referring to the 1930s film actress Greta Garbo. “They just want to be left alone, neither proselytized nor ostracized, including what occurs to their children in government-run schools. Even though the Ten Commandments would not be affirmatively taught, the captive audience of students likely would have questions, which teachers would feel compelled to answer. That is what they do.”

    “Teenage boys, being the curious hormonally driven creatures they are, might ask: ‘Mrs. Walker, I know about lying and I love my parents, but how do I do adultery?’ Truly an awkward moment for overworked and underpaid educators, who already have to deal with sex education issues,” the judge added in his ruling.

    The controversial Senate Bill 10, introduced by Sen. Phil King, R-Weatherford, was signed into law in late June, after the 5th U.S. The Circuit Court of Appeals deemed it “plainly unconstitutional.” It requires that the scripture be displayed on a donated 16-by-20 poster. It was expected to prompt legal challenges, and plaintiffs in the case say they hope other Texas school districts will be blocked from implementing the law.

    SB 10 is scheduled to go into effect on September 1. Biery said the issue of religious coercion in schools could ultimately be decided by the U.S. Supreme Court.

    “As a rabbi and public school parent, I welcome this ruling,” said plaintiff Rabbi Mara Nathan in a public statement. “Children’s religious beliefs should be instilled by parents and faith communities, not politicians and public schools.”

    The decision affirms that Texas families, not politicians or public school officials, get to decide how and when their children engage with religion, said Rachel Laser, president and CEO of Americans United for Separation of Church and State.

    Supporters of SB 10 have said that the Ten Commandments and Christian teachings are vital to understanding U.S. history.

    The plaintiffs — a group of Christian, Jewish, Hindu, Unitarian Universalist, and nonreligious families, including clergy, with children in public schools — were represented by the American Civil Liberties Union of Texas, Americans United for Separation of Church and State, and the Freedom from Religion Foundation.

    “It violates the Constitution’s promise of religious freedom and church-state separation,” the plaintiffs said of SB 10 in a statement. “Public schools are not Sunday schools.”

    [ad_2]

    April Towery

    Source link

  • Fort Bend ISD Trustees Approve Strictest Library Book Policy Yet

    Fort Bend ISD Trustees Approve Strictest Library Book Policy Yet

    [ad_1]

    Students, parents and librarians gathered outside Fort Bend ISD’s Administration Building on Monday evening to protest what they described as the “most restrictive” library book policy in Texas.

    The “Right to Read” rally, organized by the Friends of FBISD Libraries, a coalition advocating for the district’s libraries, occurred before the board of trustees approved changes to chain-in-command and selection criteria requirements.

    “Banned books means banned opportunities. Banned books mean banned education,” Anna Lykoudis-Zafiris, a parent, said. “Banned thinking. Banned compassion. Banned abilities to relate to others and be problem solvers.”

    The group of roughly 30 community members donned red and maroon shirts and held up signs that read “No Book Czar” and “Parent’s Choice (NOT Trustee David Hamilton).” Despite their efforts, the revised policy passed 5-2, with trustees Angie Hanan and Dr. Shirley Rose-Gilliam dissenting as usual.

    The new library materials policy prohibits any books that “advocate or promote” racial, ethnic, sex-based or religious stereotypes, sexual activity or illegal actions by minors like drug usage.

    Those speaking out against the policy questioned how an author’s intention to “promote and advocate” would be evaluated. They also asked if the superintendent, Dr. Marc Smith, would do it, as the revisions place sole authority over a book’s fate in his hands.

    Traci Marlowe, a district librarian, contended this was a violation of HB 900, a Texas state law, and of standards set forth by the Texas State Library and Archives Commission that require school districts to use reconsideration committees when there is a complaint about a title.

    Under the new policy, Smith can bypass a reconsideration committee and decide on the text’s status himself. The complainant also does not need to follow the steps of a formal reconsideration process.

    “The proposed policy makes review committees optional,” Marlowe said. “This conflicts with state standards and could expose districts to legal challenges and waste valuable time and taxpayer money.”

    Marlowe and others took issue with what they called the district’s lack of trust in librarians selecting age-appropriate content and disrespect to parents who are supposed to be the “primary decision-makers” over what their kids read by gutting these committees.

    click to enlarge

    Those gathered to protest the policy before the board meeting held signs that had slogans related to the changes on them or brought their favorite books with them.

    Photo by Faith Bugenhagen

    The boardroom went dead quiet when Clements High School student Christopher Pontiff spent the remainder of his time addressing the board by requesting that they sit in silence, look at the crowd and reflect on the impact these changes will have.

    “I want y’all to look up at me. I want y’all to look up at these parents. Don’t smack your lips. Don’t give me a slight smirk,” Pontiff quipped. “Don’t look down and check how much time I have left.”

    Board president Kristin Tassin attempted to move on to the next public speaker, but Pontiff reasserted that he had yet to yield his time.

    Reconsideration committees in the past have consisted of a mix of district staff who opted to remove, retain or restrict a challenged book. Under the updated policy, Smith could decide, appoint a designee to choose on his behalf or convene a committee.

    Smith echoed sentiments he expressed during a board meeting in April when an earlier version of these policy changes was first proposed, saying that he had every intention of convening a committee whenever one was needed.

    “It’d be my goal, my desire, my option to make sure that I utilize all the options that are available to me in that process,” Smith said.

    A previous policy version included a clause banning nudity “of any kind,” including “depictions, illustrations and descriptions” in all elementary and middle school and classroom libraries.

    “I don’t think they realize how many books would be removed,” said Amanda Kennair, a Friends of FBISD Libraries organizer and district parent. “From what I heard, some of the most popular series from elementary schools would have gone, and I think a lot of parents would have probably been shocked to learn that they wouldn’t be available anymore.”

    Kennair referenced neighboring district Katy ISD, which implemented a similar ban last year, resulting in No, David! by David Shannon getting yanked from shelves. A decision that Katy ISD board president Victor Perez had to walk back in a statement where he wrote, “The board policy was not established with the expectation that well-known and harmless children’s books would be impacted.”

    “What child has ever looked at a partially clothed Winnie the Pooh and been aroused?” Kandis Easley, a long-time educator, sarcastically asked on Monday night.

    Hamilton announced an amendment to the original clause in the updated policy that replaced the prior language with text that would not permit depictions of sexual activity promoting the touching of genitals amongst minors in these texts.

    The concern about the volume of books the approved changes will remove extends to the high school level. Community members noted that the vagueness of the policies’ sections, including “advocate and promote,” will keep titles that may not feature explicit content but touch on certain controversial subjects out of students’ hands.

    Many argue that books on the Advanced Placement exam or commonly used in the college-level curriculum would be collateral damage.

    Frank Strong, one of the co-founders and co-directors of the Texas Freedom To Read Project, did an independent analysis and found that at least 22 of the titles featured in one of this year’s AP exam’s Free Response questions did not meet the new policies’ requirements.

    Strong also listed nine to 12 titles, including Macbeth by William Shakespeare and Moby-Dick by Hermann Melville, that could toe the line between abiding by and violating district selection guidelines.

    Hamilton, who first proposed that Smith have sole authority over reviewing the districts’ books in April, received most of the criticism from community members and fellow trustees alike. They argued that Hamilton spearheaded these changes to “further his agenda” after he filed for over 30 titles to be reviewed—most of which were retained by reconsideration committees.

    Hanan took issue again with the lack of input the rest of the policy committee members were permitted to give — she is a member of that committee — saying they hadn’t met since the previous workshop meeting despite Hamilton having amended the text.

    “We really need to understand what we have because this will be a hot mess. I continue to reject the way this policy is written,” Hanan said. “I believe it continues to get worse and worse, and I will remind this board last spring you supported the policy unanimously.”

    click to enlarge

    There were several points in Monday night’s meeting when speakers or fellow trustees referenced Trustee David Hamilton’s behavior, to which he would smirk or smile.

    Photo by Faith Bugenhagen

    Hamilton asserted that “egregious content” is still in the library and that he had wanted to avoid it getting to the point again where pastors were reading excerpts aloud at the district’s board meetings again as they did at a board meeting in March, which is why he wanted to enact the policy changes.

    He noted that he wanted to read several of the sexually explicit sections of titles found in the libraries at the August workshop but was told not to do so.

    Trustees Adam Schoof, Sonya Jones and Rick Garcia defended Hamilton as Schoof took issue with Dr. Scott Pett, a writer and editor with Rice University’s Jones Graduate School of Business who has a Ph.D. from the college.

    Pett quoted renowned writer Audre Lorde while addressing the board to describe the danger of pulling excerpts out of texts without their accompanying context and reviewing books as parts but not wholes.

    “I’ve been getting nonstop emails and listening to you guys say that there are no pornographic images in our schools — and for the Ph.D. who does not know the definition of porn which blows my mind,” Schoof said. “Porn is an image of sexual intercourse or sexual act, a visual image and those visual images are in our schools.”

    Jones added to Schoof’s comments, saying that these “degenerate books” would lead students to “unsheltered lifestyle choices” if they were not removed from district shelves.

    Tassin said she agreed with those who said their libraries were their saviors; however, she reminded those speaking out against the new policy that school libraries were not public libraries.

    “In the school system, we have always determined what is or is not age-appropriate and what is or is not educationally suitable, and we are not going to stop that now,” she added. “We can throw around rhetoric like banning books and destroying books. That is not what is happening here.”

    Following Monday’s vote, several members of the Friends of FBISD libraries huddled outside the boardroom to discuss the next steps.

    click to enlarge

    Amanda Kennair, a district parent and organizer with Friends of FBISD libraries, said she was concerned about her fourth grader’s access to their favorite books.

    Photo by Faith Bugenhagen

    “Parents have spoken out against it again and again at board meetings, and yet the policy has not changed at all,” Kennair said. “They are sticking with it as it’s written. I hope that some of the trustees realize that’s not in the district’s best interest.

    “I hope they spend more time focusing on providing our kids with a great education instead of trying to promote these extreme views,” she noted. “This is detrimental to all of our kids at the end of the day.”

    [ad_2]

    Faith Bugenhagen

    Source link