ReportWire

Tag: florida turnpike

  • Miramar man who hit deputy with car had suspended license, police say

    A Miramar man was arrested Saturday for hitting a Miami-Dade deputy,  according to the sheriff's office.

    A Miramar man was arrested Saturday for hitting a Miami-Dade deputy, according to the sheriff’s office.

    File image

    A Miramar man was arrested for hitting a Miami-Dade deputy with his car Saturday on the Florida Turnpike, according to the sheriff’s office.

    The deputy, who was identified as Leonard Cantave, is in stable condition, the sheriff’s office said in a Sunday statement. He was critically injured in the crash.

    Cantave responded at about 7 a.m. to the Northwest 6000 block of the Florida Turnpike to help the state Highway Patrol with a crash, according to an arrest affidavit, which detailed the incident.

    There were several marked vehicles with emergency lights activated, including one belonging to Cantave, that were blocking two crashed vehicles on the inside and middle northbound express lanes.

    Lonnel Duwayne Brinson Jr., 28, then drove a 2019 Mazda CX5 into the active crash scene, the affidavit detailed.

    He didn’t slow down for the marked vehicles “in a willful and wanton disregard for the safety of all civilians and law enforcement officers walking on or standing on the roadway,” the affidavit said.

    READ MORE: Florida Turnpike reopens after heavy traffic following a deputy struck by car

    Brinson is accused of suddenly swerving to avoid crashing into the deputy’s parked patrol vehicle but instead striking Cantave.

    Cantave was “vaulted into the air” and flipped several times until he landed on the road, the affidavit said. He slid across all the northbound lanes before coming to a stop on the shoulder of the turnpike.

    He was airlifted to HCA Florida Kendall Hospital, where he underwent surgery for multiple injuries all over his body.

    Brinson was arrested on one count of reckless driving causing serious bodily injury and one count of knowingly driving with a suspended license, the affidavit said.

    He allegedly admitted to consuming marijuana and alcohol before the crash, and he told authorities he had more marijuana in his car — along with a gun.

    Brinson had his Florida driver’s license suspended five times for failure to pay traffic fines with the most recent suspension issued earlier this month, the affidavit said.

    Sofia Saric

    Source link

  • Turnpike in Lake County expands from t

    The Florida Turnpike is undergoing a large expansion in Lake County that officials hope will ease congestion as the area around Hancock Road in Minneola continues to boom, and the expansion marked a major milestone with the opening of two new lanes of traffic southbound.From the Hancock Road interchange to the State Road 50 interchange, the $162.3 million project has seen the expansion of the Turnpike from two lanes to four.The project is set to wrap up next year, but will continue northbound from Hancock Road to O’Brien Road.”Any time we can ease traffic, I think that’s going to work in favor to everybody,” said driver Jim Ashbaugh. “It’s just too much traffic. Any time you have expansion is great. We do like it now, the more work that’s being done.”As the expansion continues, the area around Hancock Road is booming, with the opening of a new Advent Health hospital this month and thousands of homes recently built and still under construction.”It’s been a lot of work, I know that. There’s been a lot of holdups, the way the traffic has been and everything. But I think it’s for a good thing,” said driver Russell Iglesias.Officials hope all the work will accommodate the thousands of new Lake County residents flocking to the area.”You’ve got a lot more people coming here, moving, so they’re going to look to build houses,” Ashbaugh said. “More and more people coming is going to make that much more traffic, but more jobs, right, more opportunity for people to come and make a little bit more money.”The work to expand from two lanes to four in both directions northbound from Hancock to O’Brien will conclude in 2028.

    The Florida Turnpike is undergoing a large expansion in Lake County that officials hope will ease congestion as the area around Hancock Road in Minneola continues to boom, and the expansion marked a major milestone with the opening of two new lanes of traffic southbound.

    From the Hancock Road interchange to the State Road 50 interchange, the $162.3 million project has seen the expansion of the Turnpike from two lanes to four.

    The project is set to wrap up next year, but will continue northbound from Hancock Road to O’Brien Road.

    “Any time we can ease traffic, I think that’s going to work in favor to everybody,” said driver Jim Ashbaugh. “It’s just too much traffic. Any time you have expansion is great. We do like it now, the more work that’s being done.”

    As the expansion continues, the area around Hancock Road is booming, with the opening of a new Advent Health hospital this month and thousands of homes recently built and still under construction.

    “It’s been a lot of work, I know that. There’s been a lot of holdups, the way the traffic has been and everything. But I think it’s for a good thing,” said driver Russell Iglesias.

    Officials hope all the work will accommodate the thousands of new Lake County residents flocking to the area.

    “You’ve got a lot more people coming here, moving, so they’re going to look to build houses,” Ashbaugh said. “More and more people coming is going to make that much more traffic, but more jobs, right, more opportunity for people to come and make a little bit more money.”

    The work to expand from two lanes to four in both directions northbound from Hancock to O’Brien will conclude in 2028.

    Source link

  • Southbound lanes reopen after fatal crash on Florida’s Turnpike in Clermont

    One person is dead following a crash on the southbound lanes of the Florida Turnpike near Mile Marker 277 in Clermont on Wednesday, according to the Florida Highway Patrol. FHP said the crash occurred at 3:40 p.m.A 59-year-old man from St. Cloud was driving his 2015 Genesis GV80 on the southbound lanes of the Turnpike when, for unknown reasons ran off the roadway and into an active construction site, hitting a construction tractor. The driver in the construction tractor suffered minor injuries but was not transported to the hospital. FHP said the driver of the Genesis was ejected from his vehicle and transported to South Lake Hospital, where he was pronounced deceased. A total of four vehicles were involved in the crash, according to FHP. A third vehicle, driven by a 30-year-old from Orlando, was also transported to a nearby hospital with minor injuries. A fourth vehicle struck crash debris in the inside lane, but the driver was not injured. Southbound lanes near Mile Marker 277 have now reopened, according to FHP.

    One person is dead following a crash on the southbound lanes of the Florida Turnpike near Mile Marker 277 in Clermont on Wednesday, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

    FHP said the crash occurred at 3:40 p.m.

    A 59-year-old man from St. Cloud was driving his 2015 Genesis GV80 on the southbound lanes of the Turnpike when, for unknown reasons ran off the roadway and into an active construction site, hitting a construction tractor.

    The driver in the construction tractor suffered minor injuries but was not transported to the hospital.

    FHP said the driver of the Genesis was ejected from his vehicle and transported to South Lake Hospital, where he was pronounced deceased.

    A total of four vehicles were involved in the crash, according to FHP. A third vehicle, driven by a 30-year-old from Orlando, was also transported to a nearby hospital with minor injuries.

    A fourth vehicle struck crash debris in the inside lane, but the driver was not injured.

    Southbound lanes near Mile Marker 277 have now reopened, according to FHP.

    Source link

  • Trooper and driver injured in multi-vehicle crash on Florida Turnpike

    The Florida Highway Patrol is investigating a five-vehicle crash Saturday night on the Florida Turnpike that involved an FHP patrol car and sent two people to the hospital with minor injuries.The crash occurred in the northbound lanes of the Florida Turnpike, south of State Road 417 in Orlando, Orange County, FHP said. According to preliminary crash details, a semitrailer with a trailer was traveling northbound in the center inside lane when it attempted to change lanes, sideswiping a 2005 Toyota Camry.A 2004 Dodge pickup traveling behind the semi-truck and Camry swerved to the left, striking the left side of the Camry.The pickup then rotated and collided with the left front of the semitrailer, began overturning across the northbound lanes, and collided with the top of a Florida Highway Patrol marked patrol car parked on the outside shoulder, according to FHP. The accident report said the pickup continued overturning, collided with a concrete barrier, and went down an embankment.The initial impact with the pickup caused the patrol car to be pushed into the travel lanes, where it collided with a 2024 Buick Enclave.FHP said the trooper was standing outside his patrol car when the crashes occurred.He darted away, briefly fell, and was later transported to the hospital with minor injuries.The driver of the pickup was also transported to the hospital with minor injuries. The drivers of the semitrailer, Camry, and Buick were not injured and remained on the scene.

    The Florida Highway Patrol is investigating a five-vehicle crash Saturday night on the Florida Turnpike that involved an FHP patrol car and sent two people to the hospital with minor injuries.

    The crash occurred in the northbound lanes of the Florida Turnpike, south of State Road 417 in Orlando, Orange County, FHP said.

    According to preliminary crash details, a semitrailer with a trailer was traveling northbound in the center inside lane when it attempted to change lanes, sideswiping a 2005 Toyota Camry.

    A 2004 Dodge pickup traveling behind the semi-truck and Camry swerved to the left, striking the left side of the Camry.

    The pickup then rotated and collided with the left front of the semitrailer, began overturning across the northbound lanes, and collided with the top of a Florida Highway Patrol marked patrol car parked on the outside shoulder, according to FHP.

    The accident report said the pickup continued overturning, collided with a concrete barrier, and went down an embankment.

    The initial impact with the pickup caused the patrol car to be pushed into the travel lanes, where it collided with a 2024 Buick Enclave.

    FHP said the trooper was standing outside his patrol car when the crashes occurred.

    He darted away, briefly fell, and was later transported to the hospital with minor injuries.

    The driver of the pickup was also transported to the hospital with minor injuries. The drivers of the semitrailer, Camry, and Buick were not injured and remained on the scene.

    Source link

  • Skyway and Zing Operate First Drone Delivery in Orlando, Florida

    Skyway and Zing Operate First Drone Delivery in Orlando, Florida

    Skyway, a navigation service provider to Urban Air Mobility (UAM), partnered with Zing Drone Delivery to launch the first-ever food delivery made by a drone in Orlando, Florida.

    Press Release


    May 3, 2022

    Skyway and Zing Drone Delivery made Florida history with their latest partnership efforts. On Monday, April 25, 2022, at 3:30 pm EDT, both companies took flight for their first-ever product delivery to residents of Montverde, Florida. Recent construction on the Florida Turnpike and County Road 455 has extended the drive to the nearest shopping options from 10 minutes to 45 on a good day. Residents will be forced to make the commute for months until the construction’s estimated completion in early 2023. Frustrated by the commute, Montverde residents were in need of a faster way to receive goods on their side of the lake. 

    Jeff Clark, a Montverde local, took it upon himself to reach out to Zing after hearing of their drone delivery service efforts in Florida. Zing brought its advanced delivery systems to the area in coordination with its strategic partners.

    “The time savings vs. having to make a normal trip for take-out offers such a huge incentive for providers of this kind of service,” said Jeff Clark.” Add to that the efficiency and all-electric operation and it’s not hard to see this is the way of the future.”

    To help deliver items for Jeff and his family, Skyway also initiated low-altitude weather services alongside its navigation services to ensure safe delivery. Skyway’s ever-growing development and collaboration with companies like TruWeather Solutions make such innovative features possible.

    Zing and local food truck, Tacos El Carro, initiated services to bring Jeff Clark’s wish to life on Monday. Jeff and his family placed an order for tacos and waited for it to be flown in by a drone just minutes later. “It’s great to see local logistics services move into the third dimension by taking advantage of emerging technologies like drone delivery,” said Clark.

    “We made drone history today here in Orlando,” said Skyway CEO and founder, Clifford Cruz. “This is just one of many service areas to come.” 

    According to Cruz, Jeff’s family is the first of many. The company plans to expand operations throughout the Fort Lauderdale area and eventually the entire state of Florida. But food isn’t the only thing on the menu if you use their services. Skyway and Zing have plans to partner with businesses that provide everything from alcohol to prescribed medications. 

    “Understanding the use case and operating drone services helps our company build better products,” Ian Annase, CEO and Founder of Zing, said. “This is just the beginning of a new frontier. Drone delivery is going to change the world and the lives of our customers.” 

    Media Contact: whitney@goskyway.com

    Source: Skyway

    Source link