ReportWire

Tag: Florida fish and wildlife

  • Trappers scoop up iguanas ‘by the dozens’ amid South Florida cold snap

    [ad_1]

    Redline Iguana Removal trappers picked up hundreds of cold-stunned and dead green iguanas from South Florida businesses and homes on Sunday, Feb. 1, 2026.

    Redline Iguana Removal trappers picked up hundreds of cold-stunned and dead green iguanas from South Florida businesses and homes on Sunday, Feb. 1, 2026.

    Redline Iguana Removal

    South Florida iguana removal companies were scooping up hundreds of cold-stunned and dead lizards Sunday in a seemingly record-breaking roundup due to the cold snap, according to local business owners.

    “We are scooping them up by the dozens,” said Blake Wilkins, owner of Redline Iguana Removal in Hollywood.

    It was 35.1 degrees with a wind chill of 27 around 7 a.m. Sunday at Miami Internation Airport, beating the previous Feb. 1 record low of 36, set in 1909. With those cold temps, the iguana removal business was booming.

    Iguanas and other reptiles can lose muscle control and go into a state of shock, appearing “frozen,” when temperatures dip near freezing. On Friday, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission lifted its normal restrictions and said that on Sunday and Monday, people could trap the iguanas, a non-native invasive species, and bring them to five FWC offices so they could be humanely killed or transferred to permitted pet operators.

    Wilkins said his trappers started working from about 5 a.m. to 6 a.m. to take advantage of the weather and had already been to at least 100 locations by Sunday afternoon. At one golf course, Redline Iguana Removal picked up about 100 iguanas within an hour.

    “We’re probably at like 2,000 iguanas,” Wilkins said.

    An iguana is seen lying on the ground in a neighborhood as a cold front makes its way across South Florida on Sunday, Feb. 1, 2026, in Pembroke Pines, Florida.
    An iguana is seen lying on the ground in a neighborhood as a cold front makes its way across South Florida on Sunday, Feb. 1, 2026, in Pembroke Pines, Florida. Photo by Matias J. Ocner mocner@miamiherald.com

    The cold temperatures, combined with the wind knocking the iguanas out of trees, created a “kind of double factor,” he said, adding that he had dodged a falling iguana earlier.

    Wilkins said he’s been removing iguanas for a decade, and this is definitely the strongest cold front with the most frozen iguanas he’s seen. About 50% of the iguanas removed were dead.

    “I’d say it happens every year but not to this magnitude,” he said. “This is a strong one, for sure.”

    The company truck was “absolutely stacked” with cold-stunned and dead iguanas, and the calls for removal will continue Monday, he said.

    “It may be kind of gruesome for people, but it’s a good idea of what we’ve gotten,” Wilkins said.

    Steve Kavashansky, owner of Iguana Busters in West Palm Beach, joked that he was doing much better than the iguanas were on Sunday. His business offers removal from Jupiter to just north of Miami.

    An iguana is seen lying on the ground in a neighborhood as a cold front makes its way across South Florida on Sunday, Feb. 1, 2026, in Pembroke Pines, Florida.
    An iguana is seen lying on the ground in a neighborhood as a cold front makes its way across South Florida on Sunday, Feb. 1, 2026, in Pembroke Pines, Florida. Photo by Matias J. Ocner mocner@miamiherald.com

    The calls for removal across South Florida have been nonstop, and Iguana Busters hasn’t had time to take on new customers because it’s so busy, Kavashansky said. By around 2 p.m., his trappers were on their 45th call of the day.

    His company had collected close to 150 iguanas, and the majority of them were cold-stunned rather than dead, he said. From his experience, the iguanas have been acclimating to the cooler temperatures over the years.

    “Last year, we maybe had five, maybe 10 calls, and that was over the whole winter,” Kavashansky said. “This year, just today alone, we are up to 45 calls.”

    An iguana is seen lying on the ground in a neighborhood as a cold front makes its way across South Florida on Sunday, Feb. 1, 2026, in Pembroke Pines, Florida.
    An iguana is seen lying on the ground in a neighborhood as a cold front makes its way across South Florida on Sunday, Feb. 1, 2026, in Pembroke Pines, Florida. Photo by Matias J. Ocner mocner@miamiherald.com

    While the FWC designated locations for members of the public to drop off captured, cold-stunned iguanas on Sunday and Monday, Kavashansky said he would not recommend picking them up.

    The FWC did not respond to a request for comment on how many iguanas were turned over Sunday in South Florida.

    A couple of years ago, one woman picked up a stunned iguana and put it in her car, Kavashansky said. The iguana woke up as it warmed up, whipped her with its tail, and she crashed.

    “If you’re not trained to deal with these animals, I wouldn’t do it,” he said.

    [ad_2]

    Sofia Saric

    Source link

  • Legal capture of endangered manta ray sparks bipartisan outrage in Florida

    [ad_1]

    Florida authorities have agreed to review the issuing of special permits allowing companies to capture endangered creatures to sell, after an outcry over the netting of a huge manta ray for an aquarium in the Middle East.

    Related: Manta man: film profiles unlikely bond between diver and giant sea creature

    The review comes after a viral video released on 12 July showed a boat crew capturing a giant manta ray off a Panama City beach in Florida and on to their boat, sparking outrage among the community. A dolphin tour operator who witnessed and filmed the scene confronted the crew and asked whether they would release the manta ray, but they explained they had a legal permit.

    “The manta ray was hooked under the wing, and it was obviously exhausted,” Denis Richard, the founder of the Water Planet US dolphin tour company, who filmed the video, said in a telephone interview on Saturday. “I started telling them that they should be ashamed of themselves,” he added of the men capturing the ray.

    It was later confirmed that the crew were contractors working for SeaWorld Abu Dhabi to supply an aquarium there, and the company holding the permit was Dynasty Marine Associates, based in Marathon, Florida. The permit was issued by the Florida fish and wildlife conservation commission (FWC).

    The plankton-feeding giant manta ray, the world’s largest ray with a wingspan up to 26ft, is federally listed as an endangered species, with commercial fishing as its greatest US threat. The species is both directly targeted and caught as bycatch. Manta rays are especially valued in specialized commercial circles for their gill plates, which are traded internationally.

    After the video went viral, a bipartisan group of Florida lawmakers signed a letter urging Florida’s wildlife agency to revoke the permit that allowed the manta ray to be caught. The letter also called for the suspension of any future “marine special activity licenses” that allow for the limited capture of endangered species, as reported earlier by various Florida media outlets.

    “This practice raises fundamental concerns about the FWC’s role in upholding its mission of conservation and wildlife preservation,” reads the letter signed by Republican congressman Brian Mast, independent state senator Jason Pizzo and state house representatives Lindsay Cross, a Democrat, and Peggy Gossett-Seidman and Meg Weinberger, both of whom are Republican.

    Related: Just a pole and line, like they fished as boys: how a Maldives tradition is ensuring tuna stocks thrive

    Dynasty Marine Associates did not immediately respond to a request for comment from the Guardian.

    Rodney Barreto, chair of the FWC, replied to the lawmakers’ letter on Friday, confirming that the agency would “revisit” the policies that allows companies to capture federally protected marine species for aquariums. He said the rule hearings will occur in 2026. He also said the agency, since 19 August, stopped issuing the permits that allow the capture of sharks and manta rays listed under the Endangered Species Act.

    “We understand both your concerns and those raised by the public following the recent harvest of a giant manta ray,” Barreto wrote. “We are revisiting our policies related to issuing [marine special activity licenses] involving prohibited marine species.”

    The move represents progress for marine wildlife advocates such as Richard.

    “The manta ray is on the list of protected species, and there is a reason,” he said. “The species is on its way out, like a lot of other species, so they need to be protected. If they’re not, then their number will dwindle, and we’ll see what’s happened with many species that aren’t on this planet any more.”

    [ad_2]

    Source link