ReportWire

Tag: disaster aid

  • Trump rejects Colorado’s bid for federal disaster relief after fires, flooding

    [ad_1]

    DENVER — President Donald Trump late Saturday denied Colorado’s request for disaster relief funding following the Elk and Lee fires and Western Slope flooding this summer.

    The fires in Rio Blanco County began in August, leading Gov. Jared Polis to declare a major disaster. In October, severe flooding struck southwestern Colorado, affecting La Plata and Archuleta counties, prompting a second disaster declaration.

    The Lee Fire near Meeker started in August, eventually burning over 137,000 acres and becoming the state’s fifth-largest wildfire before being contained in September.

    If approved, those disaster declarations would have unlocked FEMA funding to support ongoing recovery efforts and provide aid to residents and businesses impacted by the three separate events.

    The governor’s office said that both the fires and the flooding exceeded the criteria set by FEMA for major presidential disaster declarations, which include minimum amounts of damage and impacts to local infrastructure.

    A reason for the president’s denial was not provided.

    On Sunday, following the denial late Saturday night, Polis and Democratic members of the state’s congressional delegation called on President Trump to reverse the decision, calling the president’s actions “malicious and obscene.”

    “President Trump’s decision to deny Colorado’s request for critical federal assistance is unacceptable,” said Senator Michael Bennet in a statement. “Communities in Western Colorado are in serious need of help after the life-threatening flooding and historic wildfires earlier this year. Trump continues to use Coloradans for political games; it is malicious and obscene. A disaster is a disaster, regardless of what state in the country it took place. Together with Governor Polis and the Colorado delegation, I will take every available step to appeal this decision.”

    In his Sunday statement, Polis reiterated that residents impacted by the August fires and the October flooding deserve support rather than political maneuvering.

    He said Colorado will be appealing the president’s denial.

    “Coloradans impacted by the Elk and Lee fires and the flooding in Southwestern Colorado deserve better than the political games President Trump is playing. One of the most amazing things to witness as Governor has been the resilience of Coloradans following a natural disaster. Their courage, strength, and willingness to help one another is unmatched – values that President Trump seems to have forgotten. I call on the President’s better angels, and urge him to reconsider these requests. This is about the Coloradans who need this support, and we won’t stop fighting for them to get what they deserve. Colorado will be appealing this decision,” said Governor Jared Polis.

    According to the Revolving Door Project, President Trump has often turned down or delayed disaster relief requests, most recently from states like Virginia and Maryland.

    The rejection follows an administration plan to close the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, a leading federal climate research lab.

    Coloradans making a difference | Denver7 featured videos


    Denver7 is committed to making a difference in our community by standing up for what’s right, listening, lending a helping hand and following through on promises. See that work in action, in the videos above.

    [ad_2]

    Robert Garrison

    Source link

  • AP analysis: Presidents are taking longer to approve disaster aid. For some, the wait is agonizing

    [ad_1]

    By DAVID A. LIEB/AP, SOPHIE BATES/AP, M.K. WILDEMAN/ AP, ALEX ROZIER/MISSISSIPPI TODAY and ILLAN IRELAND/MISSISSIPPI FREE PRESS

    TYLERTOWN, Miss. (AP) — As an ominous storm approached Buddy Anthony’s new home, he took shelter in his Ford F-250 pickup parked under a nearby carport.

    Seconds later, a tornado tore apart the one-story brick house and damaged the truck while lifting it partly in the air. Anthony emerged unhurt. But he had to replace his vehicle with a used truck that became his home while waiting for President Donald Trump to issue a major disaster declaration allowing federal money to flow to individuals reeling from loss. That took weeks.

    “You wake up in the truck and look out the windshield and see nothing. That’s hard. That’s hard to swallow,” Anthony said.

    Disaster survivors are having to wait longer to get aid from the federal government, according to a new Associated Press analysis of decades of data. On average, it took less than two weeks for a governor’s request for a presidential disaster declaration to be granted in the 1990s and early 2000s. That rose to about three weeks during the past decade under presidents from both major parties. It’s taking more than a month, on average, so far during Trump’s current term, the AP found.

    The delays mean individuals must wait to receive federal aid for daily living expenses, temporary lodging and home repairs. Delays in disaster declarations also can hamper recovery efforts by local officials uncertain whether they will receive federal reimbursement for cleaning up debris and rebuilding infrastructure. The AP collaborated with Mississippi Today and Mississippi Free Press on the effects of these delays for this report.

    “The message that I get in the delay, particularly for the individual assistance, is that the federal government has turned its back on its own people,” said Bob Griffin, dean of the College of Emergency Preparedness, Homeland Security and Cybersecurity at the University at Albany in New York. “It’s a fundamental shift in the position of this country.”

    White House spokeswoman Abigail Jackson said Trump is making sure federal tax dollars “are spent wisely to supplement state actions, not replace them,” during disasters.

    “President Trump provides a more thorough review of disaster declaration requests than any Administration has before him,” Jackson said in a statement to the AP. “Gone are the days of rubber stamping FEMA recommendations — that’s not a bug, that’s a feature.”

    Americans expect government help after disasters. About three-fourths of people want the U.S. government to play a major role in providing aid to communities and helping them rebuild after natural disasters, according to a June poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research.

The wait for disaster aid has grown as Trump remakes government

The Federal Emergency Management Agency often consults immediately with communities to coordinate their initial disaster response. But direct payments to individuals, nonprofits and local governments must wait for a major disaster declaration from the president, who first must receive a request from a state, territory or tribe. Major disaster declarations are intended only for the most damaging events that are beyond the resources of states and local governments.

Trump has approved more than two dozen major disaster declarations since taking office in January, with an average wait of almost 34 days after a request. That ranged from a one-day turnaround after July’s deadly flash flooding in Texas to a 67-day wait after a request for aid because of a Michigan ice storm. The average wait is up from a 24-day delay during his first term and is nearly four times as long as the average for former Republican President George H.W. Bush, whose term from 1989-1993 coincided with the implementation of a new federal law setting parameters for disaster determinations.

[ad_2]

Associated Press

Source link