ReportWire

Tag: Corona

  • Parents grateful after NYPD officers save their choking infant son who stopped breathing: Exclusive

    [ad_1]

    CORONA, Queens (WABC) — A 10-month-old baby is alive thanks to the help of two NYPD officers, who rescued the infant when he stopped breathing

    Asia Rodriguez and Brandon Laboy are first-time parents.

    Ten-month-old Makai is their greatest joy, and earlier this month, they almost lost him if not for two NYPD officers who saved his life.

    “Oh, I would thank them. I would hug them. I would not let them go,” Rodriguez said.

    Body-worn camera shows what happened when two of New York’s Finest answered the call of a baby in distress. Makai wasn’t breathing.

    He had been down for a nap. Rodriguez was glued to the baby monitor just in time to see him throw up and start to choke. She immediately ran to him and called 911.

    “He’s my life and I’m going to make sure every second counts and make sure I save him,” she said.

    When two officers from the 115 Precinct showed up, Makai wasn’t breathing.

    One of the officers took the baby, dressed in police pajamas, and patted his back, dislodging an obstruction.

    It wasn’t until they saw the video Tuesday night that Rodriguez and Laboy realized how close they came to tragedy.

    “It’s just incredible with the right training and what they’re doing, they saved his life,” Laboy said. “In those moments you can’t understate how good the training that they had is. So, it’s an awesome thing to see.”

    “If I could see them, if they could come to my house directly and I could shake their hand and hug them, I would hug them,” Rodriguez said. “Just God bless them. Whatever blessing they can be offered in life that they are offered them, because they absolutely did what they were supposed to do and my son’s here because of them.”

    All New York cops are required to be certified in first aid and CPR, and it sure paid off for the two officers. Both of them are rookies with less than two years on the job. Now they’re responsible for a save they will remember their whole careers.

    ———-

    * More Queens news

    * Send us a news tip

    * Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts

    * Follow us on YouTube


    Submit a tip or story idea to Eyewitness News

    Have a breaking news tip or an idea for a story we should cover? Send it to Eyewitness News using the form below. If attaching a video or photo, terms of use apply.

    Copyright © 2025 WABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.

    [ad_2]

    Josh Einiger

    Source link

  • Queens family sues funeral home after mom’s casket sent to wrong country

    Queens family sues funeral home after mom’s casket sent to wrong country

    [ad_1]

    A New York City family is suing a funeral home for mistakenly sending their mother’s casket to another country for burial.

    Carmen Maldonado died two days after her 96th birthday. Her wish was to be buried in Ecuador next to her husband. Her family, who lives in Queens, was preparing for the funeral in Ecuador when they saw a video posted on TikTok that shocked them.

    The video showed a family in Guatemala shocked to find a woman’s body in the casket at the funeral for their 38-year-old son. It was Carmen Maldonado.

    Both bodies had been prepared by the same funeral home, Rivera Funeral Home in Corona.

    “I was devastated, I couldn’t believe that this could be such a big confusion, “ said Carmen’s daughter, Rosa Sicha. “I started to cry, and I was incredibly upset.”

    The funeral home had sent Carmen to Guatemala in error. Manuel Minchala, the youngest son, flew to Guatemala to bring her home.

    “They tried to bury my mom in Guatemala, and I was begging the people there. I had to deal with the health department, the police, a lot of big, big processed to export the body to a different country,” said Minchala.

    When the family asked the funeral home about the mix up, they claim the funeral home denied it. Now the family is suing the funeral home and the company that owns it.

    “They tried to cover it up, and there is no excuse for that. And if the family did not see this on TikTok and confront them, the funeral home would have never told them,” said attorney Phil Rizzuto.”

    Neither the funeral home or their attorney had a comment. The family was able to bring her back to Ecuador where she was late to rest.

    [ad_2]

    Pei-Sze Cheng

    Source link

  • Serrano fire in Corona threatens homes, prompting road closures and evacuations

    Serrano fire in Corona threatens homes, prompting road closures and evacuations

    [ad_1]

    A brush fire erupted Monday afternoon in the city of Corona, threatening dozens of homes, closing streets and prompting some evacuations, according to the Corona Fire Department.

    The brush fire, dubbed the Serrano fire, broke out around 2:42 p.m. in the 600 block of Corona Avenue, not far from Serrano Drive, according to Corona fire spokesman Daniel Yonan.

    Late afternoon sunlight seeps through the brush as firefighters fight the Serrano fire from the ground and air in Corona on Monday.

    (Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times)

    He said the fire started to move toward dozens of homes up on Mandevilla Way, prompting fire officials to call for two water helicopters and other reinforcements. Later in the afternoon, officials reported that the fire’s spread had been stopped and the blaze contained to less than 12 acres, although crews from 18 engines were on the scene and continuing to put out hot spots.

    No official evacuation orders were issued, but law enforcement officers asked residents living along Mandevilla Way, Via Blairo and Tampico Circle to evacuate out of precaution. Those orders were to remain in place until 8 p.m. Monday.

    Police also closed several major roads into the area, including Parkridge Avenue at Tesoro Way, Hidden Valley Parkway at Via Blairo and Corona Avenue at Gilmore Drive.

    No homes had been lost and no injuries reported as of 5 p.m. Monday. The cause of the fire remains unknown and under investigation.

    Fire officials plan to send more updates for residents on social media.

    [ad_2]

    Ruben Vives

    Source link

  • Joe Kelly surprises fans at Ontario Jack in The Box restaurant

    Joe Kelly surprises fans at Ontario Jack in The Box restaurant

    [ad_1]

    Dodger fans in the Inland Empire were in for a treat at an area fast-food restaurant when pitcher Joe Kelly made an appearance for a meet and greet.

    The athlete started his day Wednesday at his alma mater, Corona High School, to lift spirits at a pep rally. While still in the Inland Empire, Kelly then stopped by an Ontario Jack in the Box for a surprise photo op with fans.

    Decked out with blue and white balloons, the fast-food restaurant made a warm welcome for the pitcher and had a grass-like backdrop for photos. Once word spread about Kelly’s appearance, several fans formed a line outside the eatery for a chance to meet the World Series winner.

    Kelly’s trip to Corona and Ontario was part of the baseball team’s “Dodgers Love LA Community Tour” – a weeklong effort from the team’s players, staff and alum to service Los Angeles and its greater region.

    “This year, we are producing one dozen impactful events all intended to provide memorable experiences that showcase the diversity and uniqueness of L.A., to the greatest fans in the world,” Kristin McCowan, Dodgers Vice President of Government & Community Affairs, said in a press release.

    Other events from the tour include volunteering at a women’s center, reading with children, an animal shelter visit and more.

    [ad_2]

    Karla Rendon

    Source link

  • Driver wounded as shooter targets cars on 91 Freeway in Corona

    Driver wounded as shooter targets cars on 91 Freeway in Corona

    [ad_1]

    Two cars were shot at on the 91 freeway in Corona on Friday night, and the driver of one was hit in the leg by a bullet, law enforcement officials told KTLA.

    The shootings took place around 10:30 p.m. near McKinley St., according to KTLA. A man hit by gunfire was driving east. He was hospitalized and authorities said he was stable. Another car driven by a woman also heading east was hit twice by bullets, but she was not injured, police said.

    No arrests have been made and no information on the shooter has been released, police told KTLA.

    [ad_2]

    Jack Flemming

    Source link

  • How companies like Dow, Marriott, and InBev could get to zero emissions

    How companies like Dow, Marriott, and InBev could get to zero emissions

    [ad_1]

    As large companies take on the thorny issue of doing their part to hit zero-carbon emission goals by 2050, they need to make clear to suppliers they have a role to play, too, and also need to communicate to consumers about their carbon footprint so that everyone is on board, business leaders said at a Fortune conference on Thursday.

    Marriott International president Stephanie Linnartz, the hotel chain with 8,100 properties worldwide, said during a panel at Fortune‘s CEO Initiative summit in Palm Beach, Fla. that 60% of customers are willing to pay more for a vacation at a Marriott property if it was sustainable.

    “We’re saying this loud and clear: consumers really care about this,” Linnartz said. Marriott, she added, began a few years ago to figure out how to measure the carbon and the water footprint of a hotel and publish it on the marriott.com web site.

    At the same time, hitting goals means more collaboration with other entities. For Marriott, that means incorporating its franchise hotels into its calculations against 28 specific goals. For chemicals giant Dow, it means incorporating more suppliers. Dow CEO Jim Fitterling told the conference that 350 of its suppliers are incorporated in its carbon emissions calculations, on the way to 500 next year. It helps that 92% of Dow suppliers already have metrics, and 80% of them have emission goals for both 2030 and 2050—two calendar years with specific milestone targets.

    In addition to improving data quality, that information is helping Dow optimize its operations. “We can look at our supply chain team, look at our customers that are buying, say, less than truckload orders from us and how to combine them and how to give them a route that has the lowest carbon footprint for their deliveries,” Fitterling said.

    And the reliability and availability of data is coming along, he added. “We’re moving down the right path, but anytime you’re going into new space, it gets a little bit chaotic.”

    For beer maker AB InBev, which makes beers like Corona, hitting goals means working with farmers to make its production more sustainable. AB InBev CEO Michel Doukeris said it’s even about ensuring the company’s long-term viability. “If there is no water, if there is no barley, or if there are problems due to climate-related on the harvest of barley, then we don’t have beer,” Doukeris said. He added: “We work with nature and not against nature.”

    Marriott’s Linnartz concurred, saying hitting net-zero goals was an existential matter for many companies. “Without water and barley, there’s no beer. Without beaches and mountains, there are no hotels and travel and tourism, and we all have our businesses are inextricably linked to this,” she said.

    Sign up for the Fortune Features email list so you don’t miss our biggest features, exclusive interviews, and investigations.

    [ad_2]

    Phil Wahba

    Source link

  • Successive Technologies Makes a Big Contribution to the Fight Against COVID-19

    Successive Technologies Makes a Big Contribution to the Fight Against COVID-19

    [ad_1]

    The basic idea behind this process is to keep a track of the details of all those who have come in contact with an infected person. Governments emphasize contact tracing so that timely decisions can be taken and these people can be self-quarantined.

    Press Release



    updated: Jun 19, 2020

    ​In the context of COVID-19, taking immediate action can help flatten the curve and prevent community spread when social distancing is relaxed. Successive Technologies believes that digital contact tracing can be extremely useful in breaking the chain of transmission due to the surge in the number of cases.  

    “We have built a contact tracing application to ensure our employees’ safety. Our mission with the app is to track high-risk and asymptomatic people so that they can be tested for the disease on priority,” said Sid Pandey, the CEO of Successive Technologies.

    The underlying principle of this app is that if two mobile phones can connect to each other via Bluetooth, the users are close enough to transmit the virus among themselves. Successive has built the application such that it is triggered as soon as this happens and records information about location, time, and participants involved in the interaction.

    They plan to deploy the app within the organization and also collaborate with state and national health departments to take appropriate steps once they receive information about those who have come in contact with a COVID-positive person. This will make testing more convenient and enable the authorities to offer support during the quarantine.   

    Businesses, in particular, need internal apps to automate contact tracing to make better, smarter and most importantly, faster decisions since public apps do not suffice in this regard. During this pandemic, ensuring employees’ safety is of utmost importance and thus, contact tracing is essential to every company. 

    With features like easy on-boarding, self-assessment forms for the risk determination, COVID updates and navigation bar, the application is an easy-to-use tool that offers all-round support. “We are focusing on making it as user-friendly as possible since this app requires a high degree of uptake to be successful. We have also kept data privacy and security in mind since this might be a concern for users,” said Mark Bavisotto, Head of North America’s Business Unit for Successive Technologies.

    The only information that is exchanged between mobile phones is an anonymous random key when the devices are within 10 meters from each other. “We will not even disclose the identity of the person who has tested positive. Those who have been in contact with an infected person will receive a notification on the app. They could be friends or strangers in the metro or even co-workers,” said Sid.

    “We are confident that it will help countries control the disease as restrictions are eased. We hope that vaccines come up soon but until then, this app will help support health systems and control the pandemic,” said Mark. 

    Contact:
    Mark Bavisotto
    ​mark@successiveusa.com
    (716) 903-4126

    Source: Successive Technologies

    [ad_2]

    Source link