ReportWire

Tag: Chan Zuckerberg Initiative

  • Mark Zuckerberg’s nonprofit cuts ties with the immigration advocacy group he co-founded

    [ad_1]

    Behold Mark Zuckerberg: man of principle. Witness the Meta CEO’s dedication to the most high-minded of causes: “currying favor with whoever’s in charge.” In 2013, when Barack Obama was president, Zuckerberg co-founded FWD.us, a pro-immigration advocacy group. For years, he vocally supported providing paths to citizenship for “the most talented and hardest-working people, no matter where they were born.” Now, in 2025, with Donald Trump back in power and pushing draconian immigration policies, Zuckerberg’s philanthropy organization has officially cut ties with the group. Who says Big Tech executives don’t stand for anything?

    On Friday, Bloomberg reported on the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) severing its ties with FWD.us. Zuckerberg’s group provided no funding to the advocacy group for the first time this year. Up to that point, over half of the roughly $400 million donated to the nonprofit since 2013 had come from CZI.

    In addition, CZI’s chief of staff, Jordan Fox, resigned from the FWD.us board. No one else at CZI will fill the vacant slot, another first for the pro-immigration and justice reform advocacy group.

    In a statement to Engadget, a spokesperson for CZI said the change had been in the works for several years. “Nearly five years ago, we shared that we were focusing on our core work in science, education, and supporting our local communities,” the spokesperson said. “As part of that transition, we committed foundational funding to FWD.us to continue their bipartisan work. We have fulfilled that financial commitment and wound down our social advocacy funding.” She added that the couple’s Biohub initiative is currently their “primary philanthropy.”

    Mark Zuckerberg listens attentively to Stephen Miller at Trump’s January inauguration (BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI via Getty Images)

    In late 2024, Zuckerberg met with Trump adviser Stephen Miller, who reacts to brown-skinned humans being sent to foreign gulags the way my dog responds to a juicy steak. Among other topics during the exchange, Miller reportedly questioned Zuckerberg’s ties to FWD.us.

    Apparently, his words resonated with Zuckerberg’s principles. In January, before Trump was sworn in for his second term, Meta unleashed an overhaul that reads like a Miller wishlist. The company ended its diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) programs. That same month, it ditched third-party fact-checkers, calling them “too politically biased.” It also changed its policies to allow for “insulting language” on topics of immigration and LGBTQ+ issues. The company even added Trump backer Dana White to its board.

    It fits a broader pattern of Big Tech bending the knee to Trump.

    “We’re in the middle of a pretty rapidly changing policy and regulatory landscape that views any policy that might advantage any one group of people over another as something that is unlawful,” Zuckerberg told the New York Times in January. “Because of that, we and every other institution out there are going to need to adjust.”

    “We now have a US administration that is proud of our leading companies, prioritizes American technology winning and that will defend our values and interests abroad,” Zuckerberg said in a January investor call. “I am optimistic about the progress and innovation that this can unlock, so this is going to be a big year.”

    What a big year indeed.

    NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA - DECEMBER 5: U.S. Chief Border Patrol Agent, Gregory Bovino and other agents conduct an immigration enforcement operation in a neighborhood on December 5, 2025 in New Orleans, Louisiana This comes on the third day of the operation in Louisiana, 'Catahoula Crunch,' launched by the Department of Homeland Security as a part of an immigration crackdown on undocumented immigrants in the United States. (Photo by Ryan Murphy/Getty Images)

    US Chief Border Patrol Agent, Gregory Bovino and masked ICE agents in New Orleans (Ryan Murphy via Getty Images)

    Now witness the contrasting words of one of Zuckerberg’s chief rivals in Silicon Valley. “When you meet these [immigrant] children who are really talented, and they’ve grown up in America, and they really don’t know any other country besides that, but they don’t have the opportunities that we all enjoy, it’s really heartbreaking, right?” the tech executive said. “That seems like it’s one of the biggest civil rights issues of our time.”

    That “rival,” of course, was Obama-era Mark Zuckerberg in 2013.

    Despite the funding setback, thanks to our principled hero, FWD.us will press forward. “We’re thankful to our donors, past and present, and so grateful to the many new donors who have stepped up in the past few years — and particularly the influx of new supporters we have seen this year,” FWD.us President Todd Schulte said in a statement. “This allows us to fight for immigrants under attack today and to build a better approach to immigration and criminal justice reform for many, many years to come.”

    Update, December 19, 2025, 1:19PM PT: This story was updated to include a statement from a spokesperson for the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative.

    [ad_2]

    Will Shanklin

    Source link

  • Byju’s investors call for EGM to remove founder following rights issue | TechCrunch

    Byju’s investors call for EGM to remove founder following rights issue | TechCrunch

    [ad_1]

    A group of large investors in Byju’s has called for an extraordinary general meeting seeking to change the leadership at Byju’s days after the edtech group launched a rights issue at $25 million pre-money valuation.

    The consortium of investors said it has called for the EGM following many months of continued efforts to address the persistent issues at Byju’s, which at the time of its last fundraise in 2022 was the most valuable edtech globally.

    “The resolutions being put forward for the EGM to consider include a request for the resolution of the outstanding governance, financial mismanagement and compliance issues; the reconstitution of the Board of Directors, so that it is no longer controlled by the founders of T&L; and a change in leadership of the Company,” a consortium of the investors said in a statement Thursday.

    “The issuance of this EGM notice follows many months of continued efforts by shareholders to engage with the Company to address persistent issues relating to corporate governance, mismanagement and compliance. These efforts have been ongoing following the resignationfrom the Board in June 2023 of directors nominated by Prosus and other shareholders.”

    Prosus, General Atlantic, Peak XV, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, Owl and Sofina are among those requesting the EGM, a source directly familiar with the situation told TechCrunch.

    Full statement:

    As investors with a track-record in supporting the Indian start-up sector over many years, we are strongly committed to serving the long-term interests of the companies in which we invest and their stakeholders.

    With this in mind, pursuant to the rights granted to shareholders under the Companies Act, 2013, a notice has [today] been issued to Think & Learn Private Limited (T&L) shareholders requesting an extraordinary general meeting (EGM) to address persistent issues. The request for an EGM is supported by a consortium of T&L shareholders and follows earlier notices of requisition sent to the T&L Board of Directors in July and December 2023, which were disregarded.

    The resolutions being put forward for the EGM to consider include a request for the resolution of the outstanding governance, financial mismanagement and compliance issues; the reconstitution of the Board of Directors, so that it is no longer controlled by the founders of T&L; and a change in leadership of the Company.

    The issuance of this EGM notice follows many months of continued efforts by shareholders to engage with the Company to address persistent issues relating to corporate governance, mismanagement and compliance. These efforts have been ongoing following the resignationfrom the Board in June 2023 of directors nominated by Prosus and other shareholders.

    While we are grateful for the efforts of the independent advisory council in addressing some of the looming challenges facing T&L, we are deeply concerned about the future stability of the Company under its current leadership and with the current constitution of the Board.

    We believe wholeheartedly in India and in the transformative role that education technology can play in improving teaching and learning. We also continue to believe in the role and contribution of BYJU’s. As shareholders, we will continue to assert our rights, in collaboration with other shareholders and government authorities to safeguard the long-term interests of the Company and its stakeholders.

    More to follow.

    [ad_2]

    Manish Singh

    Source link