[ad_1]
Watch CBS News
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.
[ad_2]

[ad_1]
Watch CBS News
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.
[ad_2]

[ad_1]
Actor Alec Baldwin and the husband of the woman he fatally shot on the set of the Western film “Rust” last year announced an agreement Wednesday to settle one of the civil cases stemming from the shooting. The husband of the late cinematographer Halyna Hutchins said the settlement in his wrongful death lawsuit was subject to court approval.
In a statement from his attorney, Matthew Hutchins also said he would be named an executive producer of the film, which would resume filming in January “with all the original principal players on board.”
“All of us believe Halyna’s death was a terrible accident,” Hutchins said. “I am grateful that the producers and the entertainment community have come together to pay tribute to Halyna’s final work.”
Baldwin was holding a Colt gun during a rehearsal for the Western being filmed in New Mexico last October when it discharged a live round, killing the 42-year-old Hutchins.
In an Instagram post, Baldwin called the settlement a “resolution of this tragic and painful situation.”
“Throughout this difficult process, everyone has maintained the specific desire to do what is best for Halyna’s son,” Baldwin said in the post.
MEGA/GC Images
“Rust” director Joel Souza, who was wounded in the shooting, said he would devote his work on the film going forward “to honoring Halyna’s legacy and making her proud.”
“Though certainly bittersweet, I am pleased that together, we will now complete what Halyna and I started,” he said in a statement Wednesday.
The family’s lawsuit was one of a series of civil proceedings over the fatal shooting, which sent shockwaves through Hollywood, and led to calls for guns to be permanently banned from sets.
At least four other lawsuits brought by crew members remain, and the state of New Mexico has granted funds to pay for possible criminal prosecutions.
Investigators have not filed criminal charges over the tragedy but have refused to rule them out against anyone involved, including Baldwin.
Baldwin is also a defendant in an unrelated defamation lawsuit brought by the family of a Marine killed in Afghanistan.
The Associated Press contributed reporting.
[ad_2]

[ad_1]
New body camera video released by the Santa Fe Sheriff’s Office shows the frantic moments after actor Alec Baldwin allegedly discharged a gun on the set of “Rust,” killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.
The video shows Baldwin holding the gun before the tragic incident as well as the aftermath of the shooting, with Hutchins on the ground surrounded by first responders.
Photos of the gun and Baldwin’s hands after the shooting were also released.
Baldwin is seen telling two officers after the shooting that he didn’t pull the trigger of the 45-caliber prop gun while rehearsing the scene, and that he didn’t know who put a live round in the weapon.
“I take the gun out and as the barrel clears, I turn and cock the gun and the gun goes off,” Baldwin said.
The video also shows director Joel Souza lying on the ground, injured by the same bullet that killed Hutchins.
A separate report about the working conditions on the “Rust” set found that the film’s management “knew that firearm safety procedures were not being followed on set and demonstrated plain indifference to employee safety by failing to review work practices and take corrective action.”
Baldwin was also a producer on the film, but he doesn’t blame himself for the accident.
“I feel that someone is responsible for what happened and I can’t say who that is, but I know it’s not me,” he previously said.
Investigators said they are still waiting for phone records and ballistic information in order to complete the criminal investigation.
Baldwin has not been charged.
[ad_2]

[ad_1]
The family of the late cinematographer Halyna Hutchins has reached a settlement with actor Alec Baldwin following her fatal shooting on the set of the movie “Rust” in 2021.
Hutchins’ widower, Matthew Hutchins, told CNN that as part of the settlement ― which requires court approval ― he will executive produce the film when it resumes production in January 2023.
“All of us believe Halyna’s death was a terrible accident,” he said. “I am grateful that the producers and the entertainment community have come together to pay tribute to Halyna’s final work.”
Baldwin’s attorney, Luke Nikas of Quinn Emanuel, said they are grateful for the resolution reached.
“Throughout this difficult process, everyone has maintained the specific desire to do what is best for Halyna’s son,” Nikas said in a statement to HuffPost.
Attorneys for Rust Productions LLC did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
[ad_2]