Two people are in the hospital after they were injured in a plane crash Friday morning in New Smyrna Beach, the city’s fire department said on Facebook. It happened around 10:30 a.m. NSB fire and police units responded to the area of South Street and Clarendon Avenue, just outside of the New Smyrna Beach Municipal Airport, regarding an airplane crash. Two people were on board at the time of the crash, and both were transported to Halifax Hospital. Area roads are closed. >> This is a developing story and will be updated
NEW SMYRNA BEACH, Fla. —
Two people are in the hospital after they were injured in a plane crash Friday morning in New Smyrna Beach, the city’s fire department said on Facebook.
It happened around 10:30 a.m.
NSB fire and police units responded to the area of South Street and Clarendon Avenue, just outside of the New Smyrna Beach Municipal Airport, regarding an airplane crash.
Two people were on board at the time of the crash, and both were transported to Halifax Hospital.
Area roads are closed.
>> This is a developing story and will be updated
This content is imported from Facebook.
You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.
Richmond, Va. — A small private jet crashed in woods and burned Sunday afternoon near a small airport in rural Virginia, killing all five people aboard, police said.
The twin-engine IAI Astra 1125 went down amid trees along an airport road in Hot Springs, a community in the shadow of the Allegheny Mountains, killing the pilot and three other adults along with a child, Virginia State Police said in a statement.
Emergency crew work at the site of a business jet crash in Hot Springs, Bath County, Virginia, on March 10, 2024.
The Recorder, Austin Hall / Handout via REUTERS
Police and other emergency responders converged on the site in Bath County after the crash occurred about 3 p.m.
A state police spokesman told The Associated Pressthe plane caught fire on impact. Investigators were working to confirm the origin of the flight and where it was flying to, Sgt. Rick Garletts said by email Sunday evening.
“Small crash site, everything is burnt, meaning the tail numbers are unidentifiable,” Garletts said, adding state police were working with the Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board to try to identify the flight details and the occupants.
An FAA statement gave no preliminary information on the circumstances of the crash and said the agency and the NTSB will investigate.
Police told the station the flight originated in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. and wasn’t scheduled to land at Ingalls Field, adding that it was trying to make an emergency landing when it ran short of the runway, hit several trees and crashed into a nearby hillside, causing a brush fire. It was quickly extinguished, WDBJ said.
Photos showed what appeared to be plumes of white smoke rising from the impact site.
The airport was closed in the aftermath of the crash.
Hot Springs is about 165 miles west of Virginia’s capital, Richmond.
Investigators were at the scene of the debris field from an F-35 jet that crashed during a training mission on Sunday. It took nearly 28 hours to find the wreckage after the pilot ejected and the plane kept flying on autopilot. David Martin has the latest.
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.
A U.S. Marine Corps pilot is dead after a military jet crashed near the Marine Corps Air Station in Miramar, California.
The pilot was found after an hours-long search by the U.S. Coast Guard and San Diego Fire-Rescue Department crews. Just before 11:30 a.m. local time, the U.S. Marine Corps released a statement saying that the pilot had been found dead at the site of the crash.
The pilot was the only person aboard the aircraft. The corps said that the Marine will not be identified publicly until 24 hours after all next-of-kin notifications have been made, their standard protocol in such situations.
The crash involved an F/A-18 Hornet, the base said in a news release on Facebook, and occurred just before midnight local time. The crash site is on government property, the base said, and no property appears to have been damaged.
The craft was operating out of the base, but was not part of the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, which is headquartered at Miramar.
An investigation into the crash is ongoing.
MCAS Miramar houses over 12,000 Marines, sailors and civilians. The base is about 10 miles north of San Diego.
The F/A-18 is a multirole combat aircraft flown by the Marine Corps, the U.S. Navy and several other nations, the Associated Press reported.
A shortage of air control center workers in the U.S. has raised concerns about airline safety amid an increase in plane near-collisions this year. Hassan Shahidi, president and CEO of the Flight Safety Foundation, joins to discuss the current state of airline safety.
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.
Over the weekend, residents in the Washington, D.C., area heard a sonic boom from military jets scrambling to intercept an unresponsive plane that had entered restricted airspace over the nation’s capital. The small plane eventually crashed into a mountain in Virginia. CBS News chief national affairs and justice correspondent Jeff Pegues reports from near the crash site.
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.
The Hague, Netherlands — An international team of investigators said Wednesday it found “strong indications” that Russian President Vladimir Putin approved the supply of heavy anti-aircraft weapons to Ukrainian separatists who shot down Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 in 2014 with a Russian missile.
However, the Joint Investigation Team said they had insufficient evidence to launch any new prosecutions and suspended their long running probe into the shooting down that killed all 298 people on board the Boeing 777 flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur.
Russia has always denied any involvement in the downing of the flight over eastern Ukraine on July 17, 2014, and refused to cooperate with the international investigation.
Dutch prosecutors said in their summary of investigation findings that “there are strong indications that the Russian president decided on supplying” a Buk missile system to Ukrainian separatists. A Buk system was used to bring down MH17.
Dutch prosecutor Digna van Boetzelaer said that without Russian cooperation, “the investigation has now reached its limit. All leads have been exhausted.”
The announcement comes nearly three months after a Dutch court convicted two Russians and a Ukrainian rebel for their roles in shooting down the plane. One Russian was acquitted by the court. None of the suspects appeared for the trial and it was unclear if the three who were found guilty of multiple murders will ever serve their sentences.
The convictions and the court’s finding that the surface-to-air Buk missile came from a Russian military base were seen as a clear indication that Moscow had a role in the tragedy. Russia has always denied involvement. The Russian Foreign Ministry accused the court in November of bowing to pressure from Dutch politicians, prosecutors and the news media.
But the November convictions held that Moscow was in overall control in 2014 over the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic, the separatist area of eastern Ukraine where the missile was launched. The Buk missile system came from the Russian military’s 53rd Anti-Aircraft Missile Brigade, based in the city of Kursk.
The Joint Investigation Team is made up of experts from the Netherlands, Australia, Malaysia, Belgium and Ukraine. Most of the victims were Dutch. It had continued to investigate the crew of the missile system that brought down the plane and those who ordered its deployment in Ukraine.
As well as the criminal trial that was held in the Netherlands, the Dutch and Ukrainian governments are suing Russia at the European Court of Human Rights over its alleged role in the downing of MH17.
Thanks for reading CBS NEWS.
Create your free account or log in for more features.
Two World War II-era airplanes collided while performing a flyover at a commemorative event in Texas on Saturday, crashing into the ground and erupting into a ball of flames that left onlookers shocked and dismayed.
Six people were onboard the two planes at the time of the crash, the Commemorative Air Force said, and all six were killed, according to Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins.
A Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress and a Bell P-63 Kingcobra were participating in the Air Force’s Wings Over Dallas air show when they collided mid-air near the Dallas Executive Airport just before 1:30 p.m. local time, the Federal Aviation Administration said.
NTSB board member Michael Graham said during a Sunday press conference that neither plane had flight data recorders, also known as black boxes. As a result, he said, investigators are seeking photos and videos recorded at the scene from the public.
“They’ll actually be very critical since we don’t have any flight data recordings,” said Graham. Witness images and video can be sent to witness@ntsb.gov, Graham said.
Several videos posted on Twitter showed the fighter plane appearing to fly into the bomber, causing them to quickly plummet to the ground and setting off a large ball of fire and smoke.
In this photo provided by Nathaniel Ross Photography, a historic military plane crashes after colliding with another plane during an airshow at Dallas Executive Airport in Dallas on Saturday, Nov. 12, 2022.
Nathaniel Ross Photography via AP
According to the event’s website, several planes were scheduled to do a flyover demonstration Saturday afternoon. Social media posts showed hundreds of people gathered to watch the flyover. The 3-day event is in honor of Veterans Day, which was Friday.
Anthony Montoya saw the two planes collide.
“I just stood there. I was in complete shock and disbelief,” said Montoya, 27, who attended the air show with a friend. “Everybody around was gasping. Everybody was bursting into tears. Everybody was in shock.”
Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson called it a “terrible tragedy.”
“The videos are heartbreaking,” he tweeted. “Please, say a prayer for the souls who took to the sky to entertain and educate our families today.”
The mayor of Keller, Texas, a small city about 30 miles north of Dallas, said in a Facebook post that a former city councilman, Terry Barker, was among the deceased. Mayor Armin Mizani wrote that Barker was a husband, father and Army veteran.
“Terry Barker was beloved by many. He was a friend and someone whose guidance I often sought. Even after retiring from serving on the City Council and flying for American Airlines, his love for community was unmistakable,” Mizani wrote.
Ohio Wing Civil Air Patrol Major Curt Rowe also died in the crash, according to the agency.
“Curt touched the lives of thousands of his fellow Civil Air Patrol members, especially when flying cadets during hundreds of orientation flights,” wrote Colonel Peter Bowden.
The B-17, an immense four-engine bomber, was a cornerstone of U.S. air power during World War II. The Kingcobra, a U.S. fighter plane, was used mostly by Soviet forces during the war. Most B-17s were scrapped at the end of World War II and only a handful remain today, largely featured at museums and air shows, according to Boeing.
Two planes collided and crashed during the Air Force’s Wings Over Dallas event on Saturday, Nov. 12, 2022.
Agnes Calka
No paying customers were on the aircraft, said Coates, of Commemorative Air Force, which also owned the planes. Their aircraft are flown by highly trained volunteers, often retired pilots, he said.
Victoria Yeager, the widow of famed Air Force test pilot Chuck Yeager and herself a pilot, was also at the show. She didn’t see the collision, but did see the burning wreckage.
“It was pulverized,” said Yeager, 64, who lives in Fort Worth.
“We were just hoping they had all gotten out, but we knew they didn’t,” she said of those on board.
“It was really horrific to see,” Aubrey Anne Young, 37, of Leander. Texas, who saw the crash. Her children were inside the hangar with their father when it occurred. “I’m still trying to make sense of it.”
A woman next to Young can be heard crying and screaming hysterically on a video that Young uploaded to her Facebook page.
The FAA and National Transportation Safety Board will lead the investigation.
Air show safety — particularly with older military aircraft — has been a concern for years. In 2011, 11 people were killed in Reno, Nevada, when a P-51 Mustang crashed into spectators. In 2019, a bomber crashed in Hartford, Connecticut, killing seven people. The NTSB said then that it had investigated 21 accidents since 1982 involving World War II-era bombers, resulting in 23 deaths.
Two World War II-era airplanes collided and crashed while performing a flyover at a commemorative event in Texas on Saturday, the Federal Aviation Administration said in a statement. Six people were onboard the two planes at the time of the crash, the Commemorative Air Force said.
A Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress and a Bell P-63 Kingcobra were participating in the Air Force’s Wings Over Dallas air show when they collided mid-air near the Dallas Executive Airport just before 1:30 p.m. local time, the FAA said.
Two planes collided and crashed during the Air Force’s Wings Over Dallas event on Saturday, Nov. 12, 2022.
Agnes Calka
According to the event’s website, several planes were scheduled to do a flyover demonstration Saturday afternoon. Social media posts showed hundreds of people gathered to watch the flyover. The 3-day event is in honor of Veteran’s Day, which was Friday.
A WWII bomber just crashed at Dallas Executive Airport. It was part of the Commemorative Air Force’s Wings Over Dallas Show. Wing just came off as it made a pass over the airfield. Tragic and horrible to witness. #CAF#WingsOverDallas#WarBirdspic.twitter.com/oojv4KmUsX
“I just stood there. I was in complete shock and disbelief,” said Montoya, 27, who attended the air show with a friend. “Everybody around was gasping. Everybody was bursting into tears. Everybody was in shock.”
Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson called it a “terrible tragedy.”
“The videos are heartbreaking,” he tweeted. “Please, say a prayer for the souls who took to the sky to entertain and educate our families today.”
The B-17, an immense four-engine bomber, was a cornerstone of U.S. air power during World War II. The Kingcobra, a U.S. fighter plane, was used mostly by Soviet forces during the war. Most B-17s were scrapped at the end of World War II and only a handful remain today, largely featured at museums and air shows, according to Boeing.
Several videos posted on Twitter showed the fighter plane appearing to fly into the bomber, causing them to quickly crash to the ground and setting off a large ball of fire and smoke.
“It was really horrific to see,” Aubrey Anne Young, 37, of Leander. Texas, who saw the crash. Her children were inside the hangar with their father when it occurred. “I’m still trying to make sense of it.”
A woman next to Young can be heard crying and screaming hysterically on a video that Young uploaded to her Facebook page.
The FAA and National Transportation Safety Board will lead the investigation.
Air show safety — particularly with older military aircraft — has been a concern for years. In 2011, 11 people were killed in Reno, Nevada, when a P-51 Mustang crashed into spectators. In 2019, a bomber crashed in Hartford, Connecticut, killing seven people. The NTSB said then that it had investigated 21 accidents since 1982 involving World War II-era bombers, resulting in 23 deaths.
A pilot escaped without serious injury after an F-35 fighter jet crashed at an Air Force base in Utah Wednesday evening. The crash also sparked a small brush fire.
The crash occurred at about 6:15 p.m. local time at Hill Air Force Base, Col. Craig Andrle, commander of the 388th Fighter Wing, said in a Wednesday night news briefing.
It took place on the north end of a runway, Andrle disclosed, as the pilot was returning from a routine training mission. The pilot safely ejected the jet and was taken to a hospital for observation.
“Tonight, first and foremost, we’re thankful that he’s OK, he got out of the aircraft,” Andrle said.
No one on the ground was hurt, Andrle said. The exact cause of the crash is unknown.
According to the Utah state fire officials, the crash sparked an 8- to 10-acre brush fire on Defense Department land. Multiple fire agencies responded and were able to extinguish the blaze, state fire officials tweeted. Andrle said it took about an hour for crews to knock down the fire.
New Start: #TheStripFire is 8-10 acres. Cause was a downed Military Aircraft. No injuries reported. Fire was on DOD land. Fire suppression by Weber Co. resources and Forestry, Fire and State Lands (FFSL) Fire has been suppressed but continues with Haz-Mat and other needs. #ffslkwpic.twitter.com/3ONcMbyUbV
Utah Gov. Spencer Cox had tweeted that his office was “in communication” with the Air Force base and was “praying for the safety of the pilot and first responders and will continue to monitor the situation.”
Hill Air Force Base is located about 30 miles north of Salt Lake City.
A fire sparked by a fighter jet crash at Hill Air Force Base in Utah. Oct. 19, 2022.