[ad_1]
(FOX40.COM) – After weeks of negotiations, the City of Stockton and the union representing Stockton firefighters have reached a tentative contract agreement to address recruitment and retention issues.
Union leaders said this agreement is a step in the right direction, but far from a complete solution, as they continue to struggle to retain staff.
Stockton Firefighters Local 456 President Devin Robson stated that while the agreement is beneficial, concerns persist regarding wages and benefits that put Stockton at a disadvantage compared to other fire departments in the region.
“In the last week. We lost, I think, three to five individuals to other agencies,” said Robson.
The one-year agreement includes longevity pay and a 2% cost-of-living increase. However, Robson said their agreement came with some hesitation, and that many had opposed the deal because they felt it “fell short in a lot of areas.”
Among the biggest concerns was paramedic pay, which remained unchanged. The current incentive stands at an additional $2.66 per hour, something Robson said is roughly half of what other departments offer.
“Our concern is that we’re going to continue to lose employees because of the lack of attention to the paramedic pay, and also to the base salaries that are so far out, 20% out of market,” said Robson.
Another looming challenge is healthcare costs. Robson said medical premiums will jump significantly city-wide beginning next year.
“It could be upwards of over $700 or more for a month for the same coverage or less coverage,” said Robson. “Basically, we’re showing no increase to the employees because of the huge difference in which the medical premiums went up.”
The tentative agreement will be up for approval during a closed session on Tuesday at Stockton City Hall.
In a statement to FOX40, Mayor Christina Fugazi praised the firefighters for their work and praised the progress made in recent negotiations.
“I’m proud that we reached agreements with three of our public safety unions while staying fiscally responsible, because we all know going back into bankruptcy is never an option for this city,” said Fugazi.
Firefighters plan to continue pushing for stronger improvements in next year’s contract talks, Robson said.
[ad_2]
Josie Heart
Source link