[ad_1]
Another case of measles has been confirmed in North Carolina, according to the state Department of Health and Human Services. This time, in Gaston County.
Health officials say a person traveling through the county was not vaccinated for the disease and had recently visited areas in Spartanburg, South Carolina, linked to an ongoing outbreak in the northern part of the state.
The person passed through Gaston County on Dec. 26, according to DHHS, and visited Constantine’s Restaurant on S. New Hope Road in Gastonia.
Officials say anyone who was at the restaurant after 8:30 p.m. on that day may have been exposed to measles and should monitor for symptoms until Jan. 16.
The person also visited Christmas Town USA in nearby McAdenville, North Carolina, between 5:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Dec. 26, officials said, but did not visit any indoor places. This makes the risk of transmission to anyone attending around that time low, DHHS said.
Related: First case of measles reported in North Carolina this year, DHHS says
Measles symptoms often appear 7-14 days after exposure, DHHS said, but can appear up to 21 days after. Health officials say to watch for the following symptoms:
- High fever (may spike to more than 104 degrees)
- Cough
- Runny nose
- Red, watery eyes (conjunctivitis)
- Tiny white spots on the inner cheeks, gums and roof of the mouth (Koplik Spots) two to three days after symptoms begin
- A rash that is red, raised, blotchy; usually starts on face, spreads to trunk, arms and legs three to five days after symptoms begin
Anyone who comes in contact with the disease and experiences these symptoms should seek immediate medical care and contact their local health department.
Health officials also recommend anyone age one year and older who is unvaccinated to get the measles vaccine to help protect themselves and others. NCDHHS also offers a measles immunity checker tool to help those who are unsure whether they are protected against measles.
Related: As measles case confirmed at RDU, doctor says best defense is vaccine
Last month, a child in Polk County also tested positive for measles, according to DHHS.
Follow us on Instagram at spectrumnews1nc for news and other happenings across North Carolina.
[ad_2]
Justin Pryor
Source link