Good morning, Chicago.
Amid a blitz of immigration enforcement activity in the Chicago area earlier in the day, elected officials and community leaders yesterday urged all residents in the U.S. illegally to stay home as much as possible — and those who can to use their protections to support the city and its most vulnerable as federal operations persist.
“This is an engineered crisis,” Lt. Gov. Juliana Stratton said at a news conference at Daley Plaza yesterday evening, “a spectacle designed for headlines, not for the safety of our neighborhoods. … (This administration is) targeting hardworking people who have been our neighbors for decades. People who run local businesses, sell flowers at the corner, and have shown up every day to build a better life here.”
Read the full story from the Tribune’s Tess Kenny and Talia Soglin.
Here are the top stories you need to know to start your day, including why Gov. JB Pritzker says President Donald Trump is “losing it,” a second case of measles so far this year confirmed in Cook County and our guide to Oktoberfest.
Today’s eNewspaper edition | Subscribe to more newsletters | Asking Eric | Horoscopes | Puzzles & Games | Today in History
Suspect left note saying he planned to kill Charlie Kirk, later confessed in texts, prosecutor says
Prosecutors brought a murder charge yesterday against the man accused of assassinating Charlie Kirk and outlined evidence, including a text message confession to his partner and a note left beforehand saying he had the opportunity to kill one of the nation’s leading conservative voices “and I’m going to take it.”
DNA on the trigger of the rifle that killed Kirk also matched that of Tyler Robinson, Utah County Attorney Jeff Gray said while outlining the evidence and announcing charges that could result in the death penalty if Robinson is convicted.

Gov. JB Pritzker says President Donald Trump is ‘losing it’ after latest Chicago National Guard threat
President Donald Trump again vowed to deploy the National Guard to Chicago “against” the opposition of Gov. JB Pritzker, prompting the Democratic governor to label the president’s latest comments a possible sign of “dementia” after a month of on-and-off threats by Trump to mobilize the military to the city.

‘If it’s not us, who is it going to be?’: Chicago students rally against ICE
Cheers of “Viva la Raza” and “Viva Mexico” echoed down East Wacker Drive, bouncing off the skyscrapers back to students dressed in red, green and white stationed in front of Trump Tower. Roughly 100 students spilled into the street yesterday afternoon, using time when they would typically be in class to celebrate Hispanic culture and to denounce the presence of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement in Chicago.

‘Heartbroken and devastated,’ children of couple arrested by ICE in Cicero traffic stop ask for their release
On their youngest son’s 10th birthday, federal immigration agents detained a couple who immigrated from Mexico and have lived in Cicero for 18 years, family and lawyers said yesterday.

Video gambling terminals in Chicago win initial approval, but Mayor Brandon Johnson opposed
An effort to legalize video gambling terminals in Chicago took a major step forward, but now faces opposition from Mayor Brandon Johnson.

Cook County confirms second suburban measles case of the year, in 4-year-old child
Health officials have confirmed the second case of measles in suburban Cook County this year — in a 4-year-old, unvaccinated child.
It’s believed that the child caught measles while traveling internationally, according to the Cook County Department of Public Health.

Chicago Bears Q&A: Reason to watch — or same old show? Does Tom Brady’s TV gig give Raiders a Week 4 edge?
The Bears, reeling at 0-2 after a 31-point loss to the Detroit Lions, will try to right the ship Sunday at Soldier Field against the Dallas Cowboys.
With things looking awfully familiar so far under first-year coach Ben Johnson, why should Bears fans keep watching this season? Brad Biggs answers that and more in his weekly Bears mailbag.

Illinois’ Gabe Jacas is determined to keep rising — for his team, his family and eventually his future
Paula Henry was in Champaign last week for a visit with her son, but their time together didn’t include the mornings.
Each day when she woke up, Gabe Jacas already had left home, disappearing into the Illinois football facilities before dawn to prepare for what could be a life-changing year.

Oktoberfest 2025 guide: 35 Chicagoland restaurant and bar specials
Summer might be Chicago’s biggest festival season, but the city also goes all out in early fall to celebrate Oktoberfest. The area’s strong German heritage means you’ll find plenty of communities hosting huge parties with live music and traditional fun like stein-holding competitions, while breweries put their own spins on Oktoberfest beers on tap and restaurants add specials like bratwurst and schnitzel to their menus. Bring an appetite and prepare to shout, “Prost!” — the German word for cheers — a lot when you head to one of these 35 Oktoberfest celebrations.

Review: With some fine-tuning, Sound & Gravity could be Chicago’s next great festival
Earlier this year, Pitchfork co-founder and drummer Mike Reed set to work planning a new music festival that would champion Chicago, and the liminal patch of Chicago that houses his two venues, Constellation and Hungry Brain.
The Sound & Gravity festival, whose inaugural edition ran Sept. 10-14, leaned on the new Rockwell on the River complex at Belmont Avenue and the Chicago River to augment its stages, writes Hannah Edgar.

One of the country’s most distinctive car collections goes on sale in Chicago
Though it’s not unusual to pursue hobbies or accumulate collections, personal wealth means those preoccupations can manifest in more eye-popping ways. Take cars, for instance. Before his death in 2021, Highland Park real estate business magnet Larry Klairmont spent the final two decades of his life amassing a fascinating array of more than 600 historical and unusual vehicles, and put them on display in a museum on Chicago’s Northwest Side. The building’s contents stood as an expression of one man’s eclectic tastes.
That comes to an end this weekend. The museum has closed and the entire Klairmont collection — which in recent years was winnowed down to 284 cars — will be sold by Mecum Auctions. The public can take one last look at the collection Friday (with a $20 entrance fee), then the auction takes place Saturday and Sunday and is strictly for bidders.
Chicago Tribune
Source link