ReportWire

City ‘carefully removes select artifacts’ from Pulse nightclub ahead of memorial construction

The City of Orlando on Monday will “begin to carefully remove select artifacts” from Pulse nightclub as it works toward creating a permanent memorial at the site of the 2016 massacre that left 49 people dead. Items to be removed include the “chandeliers, bar top, posters and other interior items that have been carefully prepackaged inside of the building,” the city said. “These items will then be transported to an environmentally controlled warehouse. While we have not finalized if these artifacts will be a part of the permanent memorial, we want to ensure their preservation during the design and construction phase,” the city said in a news release. Full list:Two chandeliers Signage and posters Ornamental framed mirror Bar top Track lighting, including track Cash register Primary section of breach wall Portion of the sunburst wall inside the club Portion of the “Glitter” wall inside the club Wood floor (as much as possible) Rectangular ceiling pendent lights iPad The numbers on the outside of the building tiles from the outside patio bar Additionally, some items that were part of the temporary memorial will be removed and preserved:An approximately 4’x8’ piece of the existing memorial fenceBenches on existing memorial site Remembrance items left by family, friends and/or visitorsThe city will begin the next phase of construction after the items are removed, which will include the removal of the Pulse sign and clearing the site. Estimated timeline for construction: February 2026: 30% design plans March/April 2026: Site clearing begins May 2026: 60% design plans Early fall 2026: start of construction Late 2027: Construction completed Pulse mass shootingOn June 12, 2016, a gunman entered the nightclub and opened fire, which caused the deaths of 49 people and left 53 others injured.Families of victims and survivors of the attack were allowed into the building earlier this year for the first time. The City of Orlando purchased the Pulse property in 2023 for $2 million and plans to build a $12 million permanent memorial, which will open in 2027. Those efforts follow a multiyear, botched attempt by a private foundation run by the club’s former owner.”The whole process of grief goes on and on,” Nancy Rosado said. “Grief does not end, does not stop.”In the aftermath of the mass shooting at Pulse, Rosado, a retired NYPD sergeant and social worker, provided services for survivors and victims’ families.”A lot of memories were formed there. A lot of relationships were formed there. It’s very deep and meaningful. And how it all ended up, although hurtful, deserves its place in history”Rosado served on the Pulse Memorial Advisory Committee set up by the City of Orlando in June 2024 to develop the conceptual design. “Once this process starts, and every time, like right now, removing artifacts, someone’s going to hurt,” Rosado said, “someone’s going to get misty eyed. Someone’s going to have maybe a complaint or maybe be happy about it.” Rosado said she hopes the artifacts will eventually be preserved in the Orange County History Center, by the City or at the welcome center for the permanent Pulse memorial.”This is another step in a process that has taken so long, nearly 10 years since this horrific tragedy,” Orange County Democratic State Sen. Carlos Guillermo Smith said.Smith and the Orange County delegation helped secure $400,000 in state funding for the $12 million project.”It will be a place of peace that the survivors and impacted families will be able to have to pay respect to their loved ones,” Smith said.Renderings from the advisory committee show a reflection pond over what will have been the dance floor.Rosado said she’s pleased the recommended design includes flags from the Hispanic victims’ countries of origin. “The acknowledgement and the recognition of the Hispanic communities having been impacted the way it was,” she said. “It wasn’t just an LGBTQ thing.”

The City of Orlando on Monday will “begin to carefully remove select artifacts” from Pulse nightclub as it works toward creating a permanent memorial at the site of the 2016 massacre that left 49 people dead.

Items to be removed include the “chandeliers, bar top, posters and other interior items that have been carefully prepackaged inside of the building,” the city said.

“These items will then be transported to an environmentally controlled warehouse. While we have not finalized if these artifacts will be a part of the permanent memorial, we want to ensure their preservation during the design and construction phase,” the city said in a news release.

Full list:

  • Two chandeliers
  • Signage and posters
  • Ornamental framed mirror
  • Bar top
  • Track lighting, including track
  • Cash register
  • Primary section of breach wall
  • Portion of the sunburst wall inside the club
  • Portion of the “Glitter” wall inside the club
  • Wood floor (as much as possible)
  • Rectangular ceiling pendent lights
  • iPad
  • The numbers on the outside of the building
  • tiles from the outside patio bar

Additionally, some items that were part of the temporary memorial will be removed and preserved:

  • An approximately 4’x8’ piece of the existing memorial fence
  • Benches on existing memorial site
  • Remembrance items left by family, friends and/or visitors

The city will begin the next phase of construction after the items are removed, which will include the removal of the Pulse sign and clearing the site.

Estimated timeline for construction:

  • February 2026: 30% design plans
  • March/April 2026: Site clearing begins
  • May 2026: 60% design plans
  • Early fall 2026: start of construction
  • Late 2027: Construction completed

Pulse mass shooting

On June 12, 2016, a gunman entered the nightclub and opened fire, which caused the deaths of 49 people and left 53 others injured.

Families of victims and survivors of the attack were allowed into the building earlier this year for the first time.

The City of Orlando purchased the Pulse property in 2023 for $2 million and plans to build a $12 million permanent memorial, which will open in 2027. Those efforts follow a multiyear, botched attempt by a private foundation run by the club’s former owner.

“The whole process of grief goes on and on,” Nancy Rosado said. “Grief does not end, does not stop.”

In the aftermath of the mass shooting at Pulse, Rosado, a retired NYPD sergeant and social worker, provided services for survivors and victims’ families.

“A lot of memories were formed there. A lot of relationships were formed there. It’s very deep and meaningful. And how it all ended up, although hurtful, deserves its place in history”

Rosado served on the Pulse Memorial Advisory Committee set up by the City of Orlando in June 2024 to develop the conceptual design.

“Once this process starts, and every time, like right now, removing artifacts, someone’s going to hurt,” Rosado said, “someone’s going to get misty eyed. Someone’s going to have maybe a complaint or maybe be happy about it.”

Rosado said she hopes the artifacts will eventually be preserved in the Orange County History Center, by the City or at the welcome center for the permanent Pulse memorial.

“This is another step in a process that has taken so long, nearly 10 years since this horrific tragedy,” Orange County Democratic State Sen. Carlos Guillermo Smith said.

Smith and the Orange County delegation helped secure $400,000 in state funding for the $12 million project.

“It will be a place of peace that the survivors and impacted families will be able to have to pay respect to their loved ones,” Smith said.

Renderings from the advisory committee show a reflection pond over what will have been the dance floor.

Rosado said she’s pleased the recommended design includes flags from the Hispanic victims’ countries of origin.

“The acknowledgement and the recognition of the Hispanic communities having been impacted the way it was,” she said. “It wasn’t just an LGBTQ thing.”

Source link