Hours after Prince Andrew’s arrest last Thursday, People Magazine published an exclusive, with comments from an “insider” with knowledge of how Prince Harry felt as his degenerate uncle was taken into police custody for about eleven hours. According to the insider, Harry was always “frustrated by the comparisons” to Andrew, and “it was never fair to lump them together. Harry served his country, did the job well and never engaged in misconduct — yet lost security and housing, while Andrew was protected for years.” The insider also said that Andrew’s arrest was “sad and embarrassing for the entire family. It leaves a stain on everybody.” I completely agree, as I said.
While I think it’s stupid to press the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to “make a statement” about Andrew, I cannot deny that the two stories are linked. The institution fed Harry and Meghan to the wolves at the same time the institution bent over backwards to protect Andrew. The Sussexes were (and are) constantly used to distract the public from Andrew’s crimes. Harry is under constant terrorist threat but the British police will not protect him in the UK, meanwhile Andrew was chauffeured by his protection officers from the police station after his arrest. Well, instead of taking some ownership over how they ganged up on Harry & Meghan as a way to protect Andrew, the British press is now openly begging the Sussexes to say something. From the Telegraph’s “Why the Sussexes are staying quiet over Andrew’s arrest.”
Amid the noise, the regret and the recriminations, one branch of the Royal family has remained uncharacteristically silent. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have opted not to add their voices to the many who seemingly feel obliged to chime in on Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s cataclysmic arrest and period in police custody. Why? Because for all of Prince Harry’s simmering anger and frustration at being endlessly “lumped together” with his errant uncle, he recognises that, for once, no good can come of pitching in on his family’s shame.
The Duke made his views on Andrew all too clear in his memoir, Spare. It was, he indicated, astonishing to him that while he and Meghan were being stripped of their taxpayer-funded security for simply opting out of the institution and choosing to live abroad, Andrew, who had been accused of sexually assaulting a teenager, faced no such ramifications.
“He was embroiled in a shameful scandal, accused of the sexual assault of a young woman, and no one had so much as suggested that he lose his security,” Harry wrote. “Whatever grievances people had against us, sex crimes weren’t on the list.”
Those two short paragraphs do a lot of heavy lifting. Those bitter rivers run deep. The Duke has long grappled with the fact that Buckingham Palace – both the family and the wider institution – “circled the wagons” on Andrew despite year upon year of tawdry revelations and accusations concerning his relationship with Jeffrey Epstein. By comparison, he believes he was unceremoniously cut loose before being torn to shreds for airing the family’s dirty laundry in a slew of extraordinary television interviews. Since then, the propensity to lump Harry and Andrew under one umbrella as “the Dukes of Hazard” has only served to deepen divisions.
The Duke of Sussex had spent 10 years serving his country with distinction. His biggest crimes amounted to little more than an ill-advised fancy dress costume and a few drunken nights out. Why, then, did the family move so swiftly to cut off his funding and his security while Andrew remained protected by the institution for years?
It is hardly a secret that Harry, like his brother William, had never been much of a fan of his uncle, despite his fondness for his cousins Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie.
Whatever has gone before, the Sussexes are under no illusion about the enormity of Andrew’s arrest and what it means for the monarchy’s reputation. Harry has long railed against injustice. His personal desire for accountability was illustrated by his decision to pursue multiple legal cases against the tabloid press. His opinions, therefore, speak for themselves.
There is little love lost for Harry and Meghan on this side of the pond. But whichever side of the fence one sits, it will surely come as a relief that they finally recognise there are occasions when it is better to simply say nothing at all.
“…It will surely come as a relief that they finally recognise there are occasions when it is better to simply say nothing at all…” F–k all the way off. Why devote an entire f–king Telegraph article and major coverage to “the Sussexes haven’t said anything about Andrew?” You know who else hasn’t issued any statements about Andrew? His siblings, Princess Anne and Prince Edward. The Duchess of Edinburgh. Andrew’s daughters, Beatrice and Eugenie. Even the heir to the throne only released a tiny little statement of “support” for King Charles’s statement. But you’re going to go on and on about how Harry and Meghan are SO WISELY STAYING SILENT!!
Photos courtesy of Avalon Red, Cover Images.
- Meghan, Duchess of Sussex sits with Prince Harry, left, and Prince Andrew, right, during the Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey in London, Monday, March 11, 2019. Commonwealth Day has a special significance this year, as 2019 marks the 70th anniversary of the modern Commonwealth – a global network of 53 countries and almost 2.4 billion people, a third of the world’s population, of whom 60 percent are under 30 years old.,Image: 531581537, License: Rights-managed, Restrictions: NO UK USE FOR 48 HOURS- Fee Payable Upon reproduction – For queries contact Avalon sales@Avalon.red London +44 20 7421 6000 Los Angeles +1 310 822 0419 Berlin +49 30 76 212 251 Madrid +34 91 533 42 89, *** NO UK USE FOR 48 HRS ***, Model Release: no, Credit line: /Avalon
- LONDON, ENGLAND – SEPTEMBER 14: Prince Andrew, Duke of York and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex walk behind the coffin during the procession for the Lying-in State of Queen Elizabeth II on September 14, 2022 in London, England. Queen Elizabeth II’s coffin is taken in procession on a Gun Carriage of The King’s Troop Royal Horse Artillery from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Hall where she will lay in state until the early morning of her funeral. Queen Elizabeth II died at Balmoral Castle in Scotland on September 8, 2022, and is succeeded by her eldest son, King Charles III.,Image: 722656464, License: Rights-managed, Restrictions: *** NO UK USE FOR 48 HRS ***, Model Release: no, Credit line: Kate Green/Avalon
-
Horse Guards Parade, London, UK. 14th September 2022.
The procession taking Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II from Buckingham Palace to the Palace of Westminster, where she will Lie in State until her funeral on Monday, passes through Horse Guards Parade.
Prince Andrew, Prince Harry, Prince Edward.,Image: 722673471, License: Rights-managed, Restrictions: Supplied by AVALON – Fee Payable Upon Reproduction – For queries contact Avalon – sales@avalon.red London: +44 (0) 20 7421 6000 Los Angeles: +1 (310) 822 0419 Madrid: +34 91 533 4289, Model Release: no, Credit line: Photo by Amanda Rose/Avalon
- Prince Harry and Prince Andrew at the Coronation of King Charles III at Westminster Abbey in London, United Kingdom, on 06 May 2023.,Image: 774218700, License: Rights-managed, Restrictions: -, *** NO UK USE FOR 48 HRS ***, Model Release: no, Credit line: Eddie Mulholland for The Telegraph/Avalon
-
USA Rights Only – London, UK -20191109- British Royal Family attending the Annual Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance 2019.
-PICTURED: Duke of York, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, Prime Minister Boris Johnson, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, Carrie Symonds
-PHOTO by: Chris Jackson/PA Images/INSTARimages.com
-48217283.jpgThis is an editorial, rights-managed image. Please contact Instar Images LLC for licensing fee and rights information at sales@instarimages.com or call +1 212 414 0207 This image may not be published in any way that is, or might be deemed to be, defamatory, libelous, pornographic, or obscene. Please consult our sales department for any clarification needed prior to publication and use. Instar Images LLC reserves the right to pursue unauthorized users of this material. If you are in violation of our intellectual property rights or copyright you may be liable for damages, loss of income, any profits you derive from the unauthorized use of this material and, where appropriate, the cost of collection and/or any statutory damages awarded
Featuring: Duke of York, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, Prime Minister Boris Johnson, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, Carrie Symonds
Where: London, England, United Kingdom
When: 09 Nov 2019
Credit: Chris Jackson/PA Images/INSTARimages.com**USA Rights Only**
-
The opening ceremony of the 2025 Invictus Games in Vancouver
Featuring: Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex
Where: Vancouver, Canada
When: 08 Feb 2025
Credit: Dutch Press Photo/Cover Images**NOT AVAILABLE FOR PUBLICATION IN THE NETHERLANDS OR FRANCE**
-
Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex at Wheelchair Basketball in Vancouver Convention Centre during Invictus Games Vancouver Whistler 2025
Featuring: Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex
Where: Vancouver, Canada
When: 09 Feb 2025
Credit: Dutch Press Photo/Cover Images**NOT AVAILABLE FOR PUBLICATION IN THE NETHERLANDS OR FRANCE**
-
Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex at Wheelchair Basketball in Vancouver Convention Centre during Invictus Games Vancouver Whistler 2025
Featuring: Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex
Where: Vancouver, Canada
When: 09 Feb 2025
Credit: Dutch Press Photo/Cover Images**NOT AVAILABLE FOR PUBLICATION IN THE NETHERLANDS OR FRANCE**
-
Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex at Wheelchair Basketball in Vancouver Convention Centre during Invictus Games Vancouver Whistler 2025
Where: Vancouver, Canada
When: 09 Feb 2025
Credit: Dutch Press Photo/Cover Images**NOT AVAILABLE FOR PUBLICATION IN THE NETHERLANDS OR FRANCE**
-
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex attend the Whistler Welcome Celebration during The 2025 Invictus Games
Featuring: Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex
Where: Vancouver, Canada
When: 11 Feb 2025
Credit: INSTARimages
-
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex attend the Whistler Welcome Celebration during The 2025 Invictus Games
Featuring: Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex
Where: Vancouver, Canada
When: 11 Feb 2025
Credit: INSTARimages
-
Swimming during the 2025 Invictus Games
Featuring: Prince Harry
Where: Vancouver, Canada
When: 14 Feb 2025
Credit: PA Images/INSTARimages**NORTH AMERICA RIGHTS ONLY**
Kaiser
Source link













