ReportWire

Tag: beltway

  • Beltway in the dark: More than 300 streetlights out along the busy highway – WTOP News

    Beltway in the dark: More than 300 streetlights out along the busy highway – WTOP News

    A drive along the Capital Beltway showed almost 20% of streetlights were not working. A Maryland highway official said that while lighting is essential, one big problem remains.

    WTOP drove along Interstate 95’s Outer Loop earlier this week and found that it appears that more than 18% of the road’s streetlights are not turning on at night.
    (WTOP/Mike Murillo)

    WTOP/Mike Murillo

    In an email to WTOP, MDOT SHA spokesperson Shanteé Felix said, “In the month of March, we had 90% of the highway lighting systems operational on highways in Montgomery and Prince George’s [counties].”
    (WTOP/Mike Murillo)

    WTOP/Mike Murillo

    In all, WTOP tallied at least 300 streetlights that were dark on both sides of the Beltway that were visible from the Outer Loop.
    (WTOP/Mike Murillo)

    WTOP/Mike Murillo

    In early April, a WTOP staffer noticed an unusual number of streetlights were out along the Beltway in Maryland, with more than 60 spotted between Interstate 95 and the exit to Connecticut Avenue. This left large sections of the interstate where streetlights exist, in the dark.

    Was it just one section of highway being plagued by the outages?

    On April 15, WTOP decided to drive only the Outer Loop from the Woodrow Wilson Bridge to the American Legion Bridge — and discovered the 60 downed lights just scratched the surface for the total number of lights out.

    In all, we tallied at least 300 lights that were dark on both sides of the Beltway that were visible from the Outer Loop.

    According to the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Highway Administration, the nighttime fatality rate during crashes is three times higher than during daylight hours. The FHA also said that adequate lighting along roads can reduce crashes by 42%.

    Before the drive illustrated an issue more widespread than initially thought, the Maryland State Highway Administration issued a statement, saying that an initial report from the WTOP staffer has been passed on to its team.

    Derek Gunn, an MDOT SHA transportation engineer who oversees the area that includes the Beltway, told WTOP while lighting is seen as a “critical part of our infrastructure,” one big problem remains: the system is old.

    “It’s an aging infrastructure,” Gunn said. “It’s approaching, if not well over, 60 years old.”

    Gunn named other issues that affect lighting: “For example, rodents and vermin. You’re dealing with environmental issues. And it’s just tougher to maintain an underground system.”

    He said work continues to not only repair the downed lights, but also convert them to newer, longer lasting LED technology.

    Gunn also said the state conducts monthly surveys to see if any of the lights are down.

    “I would say that our inspectors and our crews, they’re working around the clock,” Gunn said. “They’re working day and night, to get all our lights up and running as quickly as possible.”

    After speaking with WTOP, the SHA investigated the number of lights that were out and provided a response.

    “In the month of March, we had 90% of the highway lighting systems operational on highways in Montgomery and Prince George’s [counties],” spokesperson Shanteé Felix said in an email to WTOP.

    On April 15, after the full nighttime drive along the Outer Loop, it appeared the problem was bigger than state officials realized. With 1,600 total lights, it appears that more than 18% of the road’s streetlights are not turning on at night. It’s not clear if those lights quit working since March.

    When questioned, the state provided another statement which spoke only of the initially reported outage.

    “We received a recent report the Beltway outages from [Maryland Route] 185 to MD 650 were addressed,” Felix wrote.

    This isn’t the first time WTOP has reported streetlight outages along Beltway. Just last year, a three-mile stretch between Connecticut Avenue and New Hampshire Avenue had malfunctioning lights.

    The state urges anyone who sees a streetlight out to report it on the Maryland Department of Transportation’s website.

    Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

    © 2024 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

    Mike Murillo

    Source link

  • Neighbors upset about Beltway work in Virginia speak out – WTOP News

    Neighbors upset about Beltway work in Virginia speak out – WTOP News

    The ongoing project to expand the express lanes on Interstate 495 in Virginia has some McLean area residents upset and looking for answers.

    The ongoing project to expand the express lanes on Interstate 495 in Virginia has some McLean area residents upset and looking for answers.

    About 90 people joined in on a virtual meeting Monday night hosted by the Virginia Department of Transportation. Some of the neighbors are not convinced the project solves any traffic problems. Others are upset about rough roads and other construction issues in their neighborhood.

    Bridget O’Toole spoke about a problem with the stop light at Balls Hill Road and Georgetown Pike.

    “I’ve been at the intersection seven, nine, twelve minutes just trying to turn right if the first car isn’t turning,” she said.

    Fairfax County Supervisor Jimmy Bierman, who represents the McLean area, replied, saying: “We need to get that fixed now, that’s really infuriating to hear.”

    Another concern voiced by many residents was that while the project adds more express lanes in Virginia right up to the American Legion Bridge, Maryland’s plans for a new bridge have stalled.

    “For many of us, the project pretty much is going to be of limited utility … until that bridge is wider and we can get more cars. I mean, we’re just moving the traffic jam down the road two and a half miles,” said resident Alexander Dean.

    In November of last year, Maryland urged residents to give their opinion on the Maryland Department of Transportation’s six-step Interstate 270 plan to enhance and remodel the American Legion Bridge. The transportation agency was transparent about how long the project would take and how much it would cost, claiming to follow Gov. Wes Moore’s announcement of bringing multimodal enhancements to improve transportation — and quality of life — for the state’s travelers.

    Michelle Shropshire, an assistant district engineer at VDOT, said the organization continues to coordinate with Maryland.

    “Maryland is currently working on project development and they don’t have construction funds identified at this time,” she said.

    Another concern was voiced about the rough pavement on Live Oak Drive, although VDOT said it will be repaved by May 15.

    April Georgelas has been an outspoken critic of the project for years and voiced her concerns again at the meeting.

    She said she was getting frustrated “because I have submitted questions for several years that have yet to be answered.”

    “Many of the questions that you mentioned this evening have been responded to in various formats, either from staff or in writing,” Shropshire said.

    The project is still expected to be open to traffic by 2025.

    Another in-person meeting on the 495 Project is set for Thursday, April 11, at the Langley High School cafeteria in McLean.

    Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

    © 2024 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

    Kyle Cooper

    Source link