ReportWire

Tag: american league central division

  • 2 fans wounded by gunfire during Chicago White Sox game, officials say | CNN

    2 fans wounded by gunfire during Chicago White Sox game, officials say | CNN



    CNN
     — 

    At least two people were wounded by gunfire during a baseball game Friday night at Chicago’s Guaranteed Rate Field, police said.

    A 42-year-old woman is hospitalized in fair condition after suffering a gunshot wound to her leg during a game between the Chicago White Sox and the Oakland Athletics, the Chicago Police Department said in a news release Friday.

    Another 26-year-old woman was grazed in the stomach area and refused medical treatment, police said.

    The circumstances surrounding the shooting were unclear Friday night, but police said, “At no time was it believed there was an active threat.”

    The White Sox released a statement early Saturday saying two fans were “struck by bullets” at the game and wished them a speedy recovery.

    “It is unclear to investigators whether the shots were fired from outside or inside the ballpark,” the team said in the statement posted on social media. “While the police continue to investigate, White Sox security confirms that this incident did not involve an altercation of any kind.”

    CNN has reached out to the White Sox for further comment.

    Attendee Tom Miller said he was sitting two rows behind where the shooting occurred, CNN affiliate WLS reported. And although he said he didn’t hear or see what happened, moments later a woman appeared to be bleeding from the leg.

    “All of a sudden this lady just starts bleeding from the leg,” Miller told WLS. “And all of a sudden, security was there and they kicked us out.”

    After being removed from that section, he returned to his seat about 45 minutes later, Miller said.

    The shooting is under investigation. Chicago Police urged people to come forward with information by contacting the department.

    Source link

  • Free-agent shortstop saga ends with Carlos Correa returning to Minnesota Twins | CNN

    Free-agent shortstop saga ends with Carlos Correa returning to Minnesota Twins | CNN



    CNN
     — 

    The free-agent saga surrounding shortstop Carlos Correa has finally come to an end.

    The coveted World Series winner signed a six-year guaranteed contract to return to the Minnesota Twins, the MLB team announced Wednesday.

    The deal is reportedly worth $200 million, according to the salary tracking website Spotrac.

    Minnesota is the third MLB team this offseason with whom the 28-year-old has agreed a massive deal.

    “I’m happy to be here in Minnesota, I’m happy to be a Twin,” Correa told reporters Wednesday.

    “We started something special last year and there is some more work to be done. At the end of the day, we want to bring a championship back to this city. That’s what we’re going to work for from now on.”

    After a lone season in Minnesota, Correa agreed on a 13-year, $350 million contract on December 13 with the San Francisco Giants, according to Spotrac. That deal fell through due to concerns arising from his physical.

    Eight days later, the New York Mets offered the shortstop a 12-year, $315 million deal, per Spotrac. But that deal also fell apart because of his physical.

    In a statement Wednesday, the Mets said: “We were unable to reach an agreement. We wish Carlos all the best.”

    Correa signed with the Twins on a three-year, $105.3 million deal, per Spotrac, in March. He opted out of the final two years in November.

    The Santa Isabel, Puerto Rico native hit .291 with 22 home runs and 64 RBI in 136 games last season.

    Prior to joining the Twins, the 2012 top overall draft pick for the Houston Astros played with the Astros for seven seasons and was named to two All-Star teams in 2017 and 2021.

    Correa was part of Houston’s first World Series title team in 2017. He won his first Gold Glove, which is awarded to the best defender at each position, in 2021.

    The 28-year-old has batted .279 with 155 homers and 553 RBI in eight MLB seasons.

    Source link