ReportWire

Tag: prince harry meghan markle documentary

  • First the airing, then the ire: Brits hit back at Harry and Meghan over documentary – National | Globalnews.ca

    First the airing, then the ire: Brits hit back at Harry and Meghan over documentary – National | Globalnews.ca

    [ad_1]

    Prince Harry and Meghan Markle‘s Netflix documentary isn’t quite the Royal Family hit job that many people were hoping expecting it would be, but that’s not to say it isn’t causing media turmoil overseas.

    The first volume of the docuseries launched on the streaming platform Thursday, taking the British media to task for what the Duke and Duchess of Sussex say is racist, intruding and unkind coverage of Markle over the years — and it’s sent many of the tabloid newspapers into overdrive.

    Read more:

    ‘Harry & Meghan’ documentary: 5 big moments of the 1st episodes

    Britain’s press did not hold back their outrage Friday, clearly taking umbrage with the televised dressing-down.

    While none of the major tabloids used their front pages to address the specific claims levelled at them, some splashed angry headlines attacking the couple and channelling their ire into unflattering screengrabs from the series.

    Story continues below advertisement

    The Daily Mail’s headline accused the couple of an “assault on the queen’s legacy,” and cited palace insiders who claim “it’s as if” the Sussexes “want to bring down the monarchy.”

    The series, so far, takes a deep dive into the toxic but symbiotic relationship between the palace and the press. The palace relies on the media to share its messaging, but the tabloid newspapers also feel entitled to publish intimate (and sometimes false) stories about members of the Royal Family, since British taxpayers fund their lives.

    This unwritten contract, Harry and Markle explain, often leaves members of the Royal Family feeling as though they have to “perform” for the media — they call it a “we pay, you pose” arrangement.

    Story continues below advertisement

    Read more:

    Deliveryman confesses to strangling girl, 7, after hitting her with van, warrant says

    Markle claims in the documentary that the media wanted to “destroy” her, while Harry says his wife was subjected to a press “feeding frenzy.”

    The Sun also accused the couple of tarnishing the late queen’s legacy, splashing “Harry the Nasty” across its front page.

    The Daily Express accused Harry of hurling “slurs” that it claims have made members of the Royal Family “deeply upset.”

    So far, for the record, neither the palace nor any senior members of the family have officially commented on the contents of the documentary. They royals are notoriously tight-lipped, and it’s generally accepted protocol that they rarely publicly respond to matters of the press or politics.

    Story continues below advertisement

    The Mirror went a different direction, leading with the documentary but chastizing all parties — it included a photo of the Sussexes as well as a photo of Prince William and Kate Middleton — for sparring while the British people endure a cost-of-living crisis. “Meanwhile, thousands of ordinary Brits are choosing between heating and eating,” the subhead read.

    Story continues below advertisement

    Even the broadsheet newspapers, like The Guardian and The Times of London, featured the Sussexes on their front pages, though their coverage was decidedly less sensational and focused more on the series’ content than reaction.

    Story continues below advertisement

    Meanwhile, royal experts, critics and columnists across the U.K. have been offering their takes on the series, ranging from anger to pure indifference.

    Nick Bullen, editor-in-chief of True Royalty TV, told Reuters it was the most “self-serving piece of television” he had seen in quite a while, describing it as more like a reality show than a documentary.

    Lester Holloway, editor of The Voice, Britain’s only Black national newspaper, was more impressed, calling it a “love story” which talked about the struggles and challenges they have faced as a couple and their battles with the media.


    Click to play video: 'Key takeaways from Harry and Meghan’s explosive new doc series'


    Key takeaways from Harry and Meghan’s explosive new doc series


    Other critics found it a satisfying glimpse into the private lives of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

    “Does Meghan and Harry’s Netflix documentary live up to its no-holds-barred expectations?” wrote Jessie Thompson from British newspaper The Independent. “Well, within the first five minutes we’ve seen a makeup-less Meghan, hair wrapped in a towel, crying into her phone camera — so I’m going to say yes.”

    Story continues below advertisement

    Read more:

    Age is just a number: All South Koreans to become 1 or 2 years younger under new law

    Bob Seely, a lawmaker with the governing Conservative Party, said he would try to introduce a bill in Parliament to strip the couple of their royal titles, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Seely said Prince Harry was attacking important British institutions, “as well as trashing his family and monetizing his misery for public consumption.”

    Employment Minister Guy Opperman branded the couple “utterly irrelevant” in an interview with BBC and urged people “to boycott Netflix and make sure that we actually focus on the things that matter.”


    The Duke and Duchess of Sussex on a walkabout at Trinity College during their visit to Dublin, Ireland.


    Joe Giddens / Getty Images

    King Charles declined to comment on the series during public engagements in London on Thursday or during a visit Friday to Welsh soccer club Wrexham AFC, where he met the team’s owners, Hollywood actors Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney.

    Story continues below advertisement


    King Charles III and Camilla, Queen Consort, meet with co-owners of Wrexham AFC, Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney, during their visit to Wrexham Association Football Club (AFC) on Thursday in Wrexham, Wales.


    Arthur Edwards / Getty Images

    Both said they had not watched the series, with McElhenney joking, “I’ve never heard of it.”

    With files from The Associated Press and Reuters

    &copy 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

    [ad_2]

    Michelle Butterfield

    Source link

  • ‘Harry & Meghan’ documentary trailers accused of using ‘misleading’ footage – National | Globalnews.ca

    ‘Harry & Meghan’ documentary trailers accused of using ‘misleading’ footage – National | Globalnews.ca

    [ad_1]

    Prince Harry and Meghan Markle‘s Netflix documentary hasn’t even hit the small screen yet, but its two brief trailers are already causing controversy.

    It has nothing to do with what the royal couple is planning to reveal during the much-anticipated docuseries, however. Instead, Netflix, as well as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, are being accused of using “misleading” stock footage and photos in the two teasers.

    The trailers each paint a picture of the relentless intrusion the prince and his wife faced at the hands of the press after their 2018 wedding — a factor they say led to their decision to step back as working members of the Royal Family and move to California to pursue a more private life on their own terms.

    Read more:

    ‘It’s a dirty game’ — Prince Harry promises whole truth in 2nd Netflix doc trailer

    Story continues below advertisement


    Click to play video: 'Public has mixed reactions to ‘Harry and Meghan’ Netflix series'


    Public has mixed reactions to ‘Harry and Meghan’ Netflix series


    According to the BBC, at least three of the images used in the trailers are believed to have been taken from events that had nothing to do with Harry and Meghan. As well, there have been accusations of deceptive cropping of at least one photo and using a video to create an illusion of press intrusion when, if fact, the photographer who captured the footage was invited and known to the couple.

    Neither the couple nor Netflix has publicly addressed or commented on these recent accusations.

    U.K. newspaper The Sun first reported that an image used in the first trailer, showing a large group of photographers with long camera lenses presumably shooting a royal event, was actually from the movie premiere of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part Two in 2011, long before Harry and Meghan met.

    Story continues below advertisement


    This photo, taken at a 2011 movie premiere, is shown in the ‘Harry & Meghan’ trailer, but had nothing to do with the couple.


    Netflix / TNI Images

    Harry delivers a line in the trailer, right before the image flashes on screen: “I had to do everything I could to protect my family,” he says, giving the impression that it was a group of photographers taking photos in a royal context.

    A photographer from The Sun, Doug Seeburg, is seen in the photo and told the publication that no royals were at the event that day.

    Read more:

    Court intervenes after baby’s parents refuse ‘vaccinated blood’ transfusion

    “In the Netflix trailer, it’s implied the photographers, including me, were trying to get a shot of the royal couple — but that’s nonsense,” Seeburg said.

    The second trailer also features a dubious image, a royal editor at the Evening Standard said on Twitter.

    Story continues below advertisement

    Robert Jobson tweeted an image featured in the trailer, which shows a photographer taking a picture of the Duke and Duchess from above.

    Jobson said the image was taken by a member of the accredited press pool during Harry and Meghan’s visit to Cape Town in 2019.

    “This photograph used by @Netflix and Harry and Meghan to suggest intrusion by the press is a complete travesty,” he wrote. “H & M agreed the position. I was there.”

    Read more:

    Passenger who fell from cruise ship treaded water for 20 hours to survive

    Story continues below advertisement

    Buzzfeed also points out that a short clip of footage meant to highlight the couple’s contentious relationship with the media is actually stock video of Donald Trump’s former lawyer, Michael Cohen, getting into a vehicle to be transported to prison on May 6, 2019.

    As well, the outlet reports that another clip of footage from the second trailer, meant to illustrate paparazzi harassing the couple, was actually taken when former model Katie Price attended a U.K. court to be sentenced for drunk driving in 2021. Over the footage, Harry can be heard in voiceover saying, “I was terrified. I didn’t want history to repeat itself.”

    Twitter user @Urban_Pictures also pointed out that the Price footage had been flipped horizontally.

    Story continues below advertisement

    Finally, a photo that appears to show Harry and Markle relegated to the fringes of the Royal Family has been cropped to support Harry’s accusation of a “hierarchy of the family,” the Telegraph reports.

    The cropped photo, taken during the Trooping the Colour in 2019 where much of the extended Royal Family appeared on the balcony of Buckingham Palace to watch the RAF flypast, shows Prince William and Kate Middleton in the centre of the photograph.

    However, the newspaper noticed, the arrangement of the family that day is not as it appears in the Netflix trailer. Rather, Queen Elizabeth II at was the centre of the original photograph and Harry and Meghan were actually standing closer to her than William and Kate.


    The Netflix crop appears above and the actual photograph as it was taken appears below.


    Netflix / Getty Images

    In the aftermath of all of these accusations, it’s certain that royal watchers will be closely dissecting and scrutinizing all of the footage included in the Harry & Meghan documentary when it begins streaming on Netflix Dec. 8.

    Story continues below advertisement

    Royal biographer Angela Levin told The Scottish Sun the inclusion of deceptive imagery left her “speechless.”

    “It turns your stomach. Why do that? Are they trying to pretend crowds and crowds of people are coming to watch them? What are they saying?” she told the publication, adding it’s very likely Harry and Meghan were given a chance to review the trailers before they were released.


    Click to play video: '‘Harry & Meghan’ trailer'


    ‘Harry & Meghan’ trailer


    “They complain about the press manipulating things and not saying the truth and here they are doing exactly that. It’s very foolish,” Levin added. “They are risking their whole reputation. They must assume that we are all fools and we would not dare check on the pictures they have got because they have put them there.”

    Royal expert Ingrid Seward defended the couple, saying they may not have realized the images were from events that did not include them. She did concede that using misleading imagery “weakens Harry’s comment about protecting his family.”

    Story continues below advertisement

    Netflix promises “the series explores the clandestine days of their early courtship and the challenges that led to them feeling forced to step back from their full-time roles in the institution.”

    “With commentary from friends and family, most of whom have never spoken publicly before about what they witnessed, and historians who discuss the state of the British Commonwealth today and the Royal Family’s relationship with the press, the series does more than illuminate one couple’s love story, it paints a picture of our world and how we treat each other.”

    &copy 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

    [ad_2]

    Michelle Butterfield

    Source link

  • Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s documentary to hit Netflix sooner than expected – National | Globalnews.ca

    Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s documentary to hit Netflix sooner than expected – National | Globalnews.ca

    [ad_1]

    Prince Harry and Meghan Markle‘s long-anticipated Netflix documentary will hit the small screen sooner than expected.

    People magazine reports that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s docuseries will be released on the streaming platform sometime in December – a date sooner than anticipated.

    Last month’s outrage over Netflix’s fictional series The Crown reportedly had execs at the streaming giant a bit “rattled,” to the point where they planned to postpone the docuseries until sometime in the new year.


    Click to play video: 'Season 5 of ‘The Crown’ receives mixed reviews'


    Season 5 of ‘The Crown’ receives mixed reviews


    However, it now looks like the documentary will be out before the end of the year.

    Story continues below advertisement

    The Crown, a fictionalized drama that follows the sometimes-true, sometimes-exaggerated history of the British Royal Family, raised eyebrows and ire amongst both the public and some of the show’s real-life subjects, after trailers for Season 5 allegedly painted a season full of invention and insensitivity.

    Former British Prime Minister John Major is one of those who addressed the issue, saying The Crown’s portrayal of the then-Prince Charles trying to recruit him in a scheme to dethrone the queen was “malicious” and “a barrel-load of nonsense.”

    Read more:

    Brendan Fraser won’t attend Golden Globes after claim he was sexually assaulted

    The barrage of criticism forced Netflix to issue a rare defence of the show, reminding people that it’s a “fictional dramatization.”

    A spokeswoman for The Crown told the BBC: “The Crown has always been presented as a drama based on historical events. Series five is a fictional dramatization, imagining what could have happened behind closed doors during a significant decade for the royal family—one that has already been scrutinised and well-documented by journalists, biographers and historians.”

    The release of the docuseries will kick-start a busy season for the Duke and Duchess. Last month it was announced that Harry’s memoir, Spare, will be released on Jan. 10 – almost exactly three years to the day since he and Meghan announced they were stepping back from their duties as working members of the Royal Family.

    Story continues below advertisement


    Click to play video: 'Prince Harry’s new memoir being released in January 2023'


    Prince Harry’s new memoir being released in January 2023


    When Harry’s autobiography was first announced in July 2021, the prince said it would be “firsthand account of my life that’s accurate and wholly truthful” — perhaps a dig at the British press, which has hounded him his entire life, and now his wife too, ever since their marriage. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been at odds with tabloids reporting on their personal lives, even going to court over allegations of breached privacy.

    The book has been billed as a tell-all and has been the subject of immense speculation, much like the docuseries. It is expected to cover the prince’s childhood to the present day, including his time serving in Afghanistan with the British military and his current life as a husband and father.

    Read more:

    Sperm counts more than halved since 1970s, and keep declining: study

    Story continues below advertisement

    Harry’s memoir has already been delayed once, and much has changed since it was first announced. During that time, Harry’s grandmother Queen Elizabeth II died and his father is now King of the Commonwealth.

    The book’s delay led to rumours that Harry was hesitating to say too much about the Royal Family, or was perhaps revising the narrative around Queen Elizabeth II. He has spoken of being estranged from his brother, William, although the siblings and their wives appeared in public together during the mourning period following the queen’s death.

    “With its raw, unflinching honesty, Spare is a landmark publication full of insight, revelation, self-examination, and hard-won wisdom about the eternal power of love over grief,” the publisher wrote in a press release.

    Spare will be released in 16 languages worldwide accompanied by an audiobook narrated by Prince Harry himself.

    with files from Global News’ Kathryn Mannie

    &copy 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

    [ad_2]

    Michelle Butterfield

    Source link