ReportWire

Tag: Jonathan Majors allegations

  • Jonathan Majors denies abuse allegations as more victims reportedly step forward – National | Globalnews.ca

    Jonathan Majors denies abuse allegations as more victims reportedly step forward – National | Globalnews.ca

    [ad_1]

    Amid new reports of abuse accusations from several women, a lawyer for actor Jonathan Majors has denied all allegations of mistreatment on behalf of the Marvel star.

    Following his arrest last month, Variety reported that several women have come forward with claims of abuse against Majors, 33. The outlet said the alleged victims are currently cooperating with the Manhattan district attorney’s office.

    (Global News was unable to independently verify the validity of the new claims against Majors in the Variety report, which attributes knowledgeable, unnamed sources.)

    Read more:

    Morgan Freeman: ‘Black History Month,’ ‘African American’ are insulting terms

    “Jonathan Majors is innocent and has not abused anyone. We have provided irrefutable evidence to the District Attorney that the charges are false. We are confident that he will be fully exonerated,” Majors’ lawyer, Priya Chaudhry, said on Wednesday.

    Story continues below advertisement

    Majors was arrested and arraigned in March on assault and harassment charges following an alleged domestic dispute between he and an unnamed 30-year-old woman. He was released from police custody on his own recognizance and granted a limited order of protection, as per CNN.

    The complaint against Majors alleged the actor hit the unnamed victim around her face “with an open hand, causing substantial pain and a laceration behind her ear.” The report continues, claiming Majors also grabbed the victim’s neck and hand “causing bruising and substantial pain.”

    Read more:

    Aaron Carter cause of death revealed in coroner’s report

    Manhattan police on March 30 said the investigation was ongoing.

    Earlier this week, Majors was dropped by both his public relations agency and his talent management company.

    Following Majors’ arrest, Chaudhry released a string of text messages allegedly sent between her client and the unnamed woman. In the texts, the apparent victim tells Majors that police “do not have my blessing on any charges being placed.” The woman also said she was told that police had to arrest Majors “as protocol when they saw the injuries on me and they knew we had a fight.”

    Chaudhry said the texts “disavowed any allegations” against Majors.

    Story continues below advertisement

    At the time of his arrest in March, Chaudhry told CNN the actor “completely denies assaulting the woman.”

    “Around 11 a.m. on March 25, 2023, Jonathan Majors called 911 out of concern for the woman’s mental health,” Chaudhry told the outlet. “The police arrived with the paramedics, as is standard procedure, and arrested Mr. Majors due to an NYPD protocol requiring arrest in certain circumstances.”

    Read more:

    K-pop star Moon Bin, member of boy band Astro, dies at age 25

    Prior to these allegations, Majors was one of the fastest rising stars in Hollywood and is positioned to lead the latest phase of Marvel Studios movies as the new top villain, Kang the Conqueror.


    Click to play video: 'Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania sneak preview'


    Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania sneak preview


    Majors recently starred in Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania and Creed III. After breaking through in 2019′s The Last Black Man in San Francisco, Majors has starred in Da 5 BloodsThe Harder They Fall and last year’s Devotion. He also stars in the recent Sundance Film Festival entry Magazine Dreams, which Searchlight Pictures is to release in December.

    Story continues below advertisement

    — With files from The Associated Press

    &copy 2023 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

    [ad_2]

    Sarah Do Couto

    Source link

  • Jonathan Majors, Marvel and ‘Creed III’ actor, arrested on assault charge in New York – National | Globalnews.ca

    Jonathan Majors, Marvel and ‘Creed III’ actor, arrested on assault charge in New York – National | Globalnews.ca

    [ad_1]

    Actor Jonathan Majors was arrested Saturday in New York on charges of strangulation, assault and harassment, authorities said. On Sunday, a lawyer for Majors said there’s evidence that he is “entirely innocent.”

    New York City police said that Majors, star of the recently released Creed III and Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania, was involved in a domestic dispute with a 30-year-old woman. Police responded around 11 a.m. Saturday to a 911 call inside an apartment in the Manhattan neighborhood of Chelsea.

    Read more:

    Man suing Gwyneth Paltrow takes stand at ski crash trial: ‘I’m living another life now’

    “The victim informed police she was assaulted,” a spokesperson for the NYPD said in a statement. “Officers placed the 33-year-old male into custody without incident. The victim sustained minor injuries to her head and neck and was removed to an area hospital in stable condition.”

    Story continues below advertisement

    A representative for Majors denied any wrongdoing by the actor.

    “He has done nothing wrong,” the representative said in an email to the AP on Saturday. “We look forward to clearing his name and clearing this up.”

    On Sunday, a lawyer for Majors, Priya Chaudhry, came out more forcefully, saying Majors “is provably the victim of an altercation with a woman he knows” and blamed the incident on the woman having “an emotional crisis.”

    Read more:

    What the puffer-clad Pope Francis photos tell us about the future of AI images

    Chaudhry said there was evidence clearing Majors, including “video footage from the vehicle where this episode took place, witness testimony from the driver and others who both saw and heard the episode, and most importantly, two written statements from the woman recanting these allegations.”

    An email seeking additional comment from the NYPD based on Chaudhry’s assertions was not immediately returned Sunday.

    Story continues below advertisement

    Majors was arraigned Sunday on a complaint involving misdemeanour charges for assault and aggravated harassment, the Manhattan district attorney’s office said. A judge ordered Majors released on his own recognizance on Saturday night with a limited order of protection. He was scheduled to appear in court on May 8.

    Read more:

    Jeremy Renner posts video update on treadmill after snowplow injury

    In the meantime, the U.S. Army suspended its TV ad campaign featuring Majors that was intended to target younger audiences. The Army Enterprise Marketing Office said in a statement Sunday that the U.S. Army is “deeply concerned by the allegations surrounding his arrest.”

    “While Mr. Majors is innocent until proven guilty, prudence dictates that we pull our ads until the investigation into these allegations is complete,” the office said in a statement.

    Majors is one of the fastest rising stars in Hollywood. After breaking through in 2019′s The Last Black Man in San Francisco, Majors has starred in Da 5 Bloods, The Harder They Fall and last year’s Devotion. He also stars in the recent Sundance Film Festival entry Magazine Dreams, which Searchlight Pictures is to release in December.

    &copy 2023 The Canadian Press

    [ad_2]

    Source link