ReportWire

Tag: west altadena

  • Edison sues L.A. County and other agencies, saying they share blame for Eaton fire deaths, destruction

    [ad_1]

    Southern California Edison sued Los Angeles County, water agencies and two companies including SoCalGas Friday, saying their mistakes contributed to the deadly and destructive toll of last year’s Eaton wildfire.

    Edison now faces hundreds of lawsuits by victims of the fire, which claim its transmission line started the devastating fire that killed at least 19 people and destroyed thousands of homes in Altadena. The cost of settling those lawsuits could be many billions of dollars.

    Doug Dixon, an attorney who represents Edison in the fire litigation, told the Times that Edison filed the lawsuits “to ensure that all those who bear responsibility are at the table in this legal process.”

    The utility’s two legal filings in L.A. County Superior Court paint a picture of sweeping mismanagement of the emergency response on the night of the fire.

    Edison blames the county fire department, sheriff’s department and office of emergency management for their failure to warn Altadena residents west of Lake Avenue to evacuate.

    The Times revealed last January that west Altadena never received evacuation warnings, and orders to evacuate came hours after flames and smoke threatened the community. All but one of the 19 who died in the Eaton fire were found in west Altadena.

    Edison also sued L.A. County for failing to send fire trucks to the community. A Times investigation found that during a critical moment in the fire, only one county fire truck was west of Lake Avenue.

    The electric company also filed suit against six water agencies, including Pasadena Water & Power, claiming there were insufficient water supplies available for firefighters.

    “Compounding the unfolding disaster, the water systems servicing the areas impacted by the Eaton Fire failed as the fire spread, leaving firefighters and residents with no water to fight the fire,” the lawsuit states.

    Another lawsuit aims at SoCalGas. Edison says the company failed to turn off gas lines after the fire started, making the disaster worse.

    “SoCalGas did not begin widespread shutoffs for four days—until January 11, 2025—in the area affected by the Eaton Fire,” the complaint states. “In the meantime, the Eaton Fire continued to spread fueled by natural gas.”

    “ The risks and deficiencies with SoCalGas’s system that led to it spreading the fire were long known to SoCalGas, and yet it nevertheless failed to adequately account for them in designing, building, and maintaining its system,” the complaint said. “The result was catastrophic.”

    Edison also sued Genasys, a company that provides the county with emergency alert software.

    In addition, the utility sued the county for failing to remove brush, which it claims made the fire hotter and spread faster, causing more damage.

    In March, L.A. County filed suit against Edison, claiming that its transmission line sparked the blaze, requiring the county to incur tens of millions of dollars responding to the fire and its aftermath. The county is seeking compensation for destroyed infrastructure and parks, as well as for cleanup and recovery efforts, lost taxes and overtime for county workers.

    Edison’s new cross claims will be heard in the consolidated Eaton fire case in Superior Court, which is also handling the lawsuit that the county and other public agencies have filed against the electric utility.

    Officials from the county and water agencies, as well as from the two companies, could not be immediately reached.

    The water agencies that Edison sued also include the Sierra Madre City Water Dept., Kinneloa Irrigation District, Rubio Canyon Land & Water Association, Las Flores Water Company and Lincoln Avenue Water Company.

    The government investigation into the fire, which is being handled jointly by L.A. County Fire and the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, has not yet been released.

    Edison has said that a leading theory is that its unused, century-old transmission line in Eaton Canyon somehow became re-energized on the night of Jan. 7, 2025 and sparked the blaze.

    The fire roared through Altadena, burning 14,021 acres and destroying more than 9,400 homes and other structures.

    [ad_2]

    Melody Petersen

    Source link

  • L.A. County outlines multiple breakdowns that led to evacuation alert failures during deadly Eaton fire

    [ad_1]

    The long-awaited report investigating how Los Angeles County officials failed to order timely evacuations for west Altadena as the Eaton fire threatened the community did not assign blame for the botched alerts, instead chalking up the issue to a night of chaos, unprecedented conditions and poor communication.

    The 132-page report released Thursday seemed to downplay how early the fire threatened west Altadena — despite 911 calls that reported flames and smoke in the area — and only once mentioned the 19 people who died in the fire, of which all but one were found in the town’s western side.

    Instead, it focused on the fire’s “perfect storm,” poor preparation and the fact that the satellite-outlined “fire front” hadn’t entered west Altadena until 5 a.m. after evacuation alerts were issued, though several spot fires were confirmed in the area earlier in the night.

    The independent investigation by consulting firm McChrystal Group, released eight months after the Los Angeles area firestorm, came after The Times revealed that the county didn’t issue evacuation alerts in west Altadena until hours after smoke and flames from the Eaton fire threatened the community.

    While areas east of Lake Avenue got evacuation orders just after 7 p.m. on Jan. 7, most of west Altadena did not receive any evacuation alerts until 3:30 a.m. Some zones didn’t receive alerts until almost 6 a.m., hours after people began reporting fire in the area to 911.

    Officials told the Times that the responsibility to issue evacuation orders was split among three agencies: the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, the Los Angeles County Fire Department and the county Office of Emergency Management.

    But Los Angeles County Sheriff Robert Luna later downplayed his department’s role, saying firefighters typically take the lead because they are “the experts” in such situations. The Office of Emergency Management, which is in charge of sending out alerts, said there were no technical issues.

    Without assigning blame or explaining what went wrong, the report confirmed that between 1 and 3 a.m. on Jan. 8, the county did not send out any evacuation alerts — including to west Altadena. The report said that at that time, “all areas [L.A. county fire officials] believed were directly impacted by or at risk from the Eaton Fire had already received an evacuation warning or order.”

    But that was clearly not the case.

    The first evacuation order for west Altadena came at 3:25 a.m., after dispatchers received at least 14 reports of fire in the area, according to 911 logs from the Los Angeles County Fire Department obtained by The Times.

    The report said that the initial calls for fire did not match the location of destroyed structures, appearing to question the validity of those early calls and the presence of flames. The report claimed that the first 911 call for a fire in west Altadena where the structure was later confirmed damaged came just before 1 a.m. on Jan. 8 — still more than two hours before evacuation orders were issued.

    The reports provides two examples of Fire Department staff flagging that the fire may be burning west more than an hour before evacuations alerts went out for west Altadena.

    A Fire Department staff member in the field in Altadena said they suggested to Unified Command staff a little before midnight on Jan. 8 that, due to high winds, evacuation orders should go out for the foothills of Altadena, all the way to La Cañada. Unified Command staff said they did not recall this occurring and that the fire front was not moving west at the time.

    About two hours later, at 2:18 a.m., a staffer with the county Fire Department radioed in that they saw fire north of Farnsworth Park moving west along the foothills.

    Though some officials present in the decision-making process told investigators they had taken notes in the field about evacuation decisions, the notes “were either incomplete, not time-stamped, or not maintained.”

    “No official form or documentation was used by LACoFD, LASD or OEM to jointly and formally record which zones should receive evacuation orders or warnings, the time the decision was made, or the time the zones were communicated to OEM staff at the EOC.”

    The report also mentioned — without naming specific people or agencies — that the county “had concerns about over-warning” during the fire, worrying about adding confusion, panic or unnecessary traffic issues. State guidelines on alert and warning systems explicitly warn against this, as have experts, repeatedly.

    The report said that based on satellite data from the National Guard, the fire front did not cross into western Altadena until around 5 a.m., two hours after evacuation orders had been issued. The report acknowledged that 911 calls were coming in from the area hours before the orders, but categorized those incidents as “spot fires.”

    The report repeatedly mentions how conditions created a “perfect storm” for firefighters, while highlighting that there seemed to be a real focus about NASA’s Jet Propulsion Lab catching fire, which could release toxic fumes if ignited.

    While the fire initially burned eastward, firefighters soon reported that it was spreading “everywhere all at once” with wind gusts between 70-90 MPH.

    “Evacuation decisions and messages could not keep pace with the fire,” the report stated.

    The report also claims that the fire entered west Altadena as wind speeds increased, describing it as a “more densely populated” area with older homes built with materials that were “more vulnerable to ignition.”

    The report found several problems with how the county carries out evacuations. Sometimes, when officials evacuated a zone, they would automatically evacuate the zone next to it. But that practice was not codified and did not happen in western Altadena.

    The three agencies in charge also did not have a single platform with which to coordinate communication, exacerbating issues with decision-making across the fire response, the report found. Sheriff’s department staff may not have been aware in real time of which zones were under evacuation warnings or orders, as they were not always side by side with other agencies at unified command, according to the report.

    The report was conducted by The McChrystal Group, a consulting firm with experience assessing government response to natural disasters. The report included dozens of interviews with fire and county officials as well as public listening sessions.

    Some who attended the sessions said they were cathartic. Others said they were skeptical much would come of the county-funded report.

    “I think it’s going to be more hot air to cover the county’s ass,” said Shawna Dawson Beer. whose home burned down in the Eaton Fire. “I don’t expect any real accountability.”

    During a May 7 listening session, residents repeatedly told the consultants that their evacuation orders had been dangerously delayed. “None of us really received alerts,” said one woman.

    County officials largely declined to answer questions about what went wrong with the delayed evacuation alerts, citing the ongoing probe. The McChrystal Group also did not answer questions, only issuing two updates over the last few months, though neither contained any substantive information.

    In 2019, almost a year after the Woolsey fire, a similar report prepared by Citygate Associates detailed how multiple simultaneous fires strained first responders’ ability to prioritize where to send people. The blaze destroyed some 1,600 structures and killed three people.

    Similar issues were found with the county’s response this January, according to the 2025 report. Both reports questioned the wisdom of further development in fire-prone areas, given officials’ stated inability to defend the vast number of Californians who live within high risk areas.

    A Times investigation also found that most county fire trucks didn’t shift into west Altadena until long after it was ravaged by fire. Many county fire trucks had already been deployed to the Palisades fire and to east Altadena. Marrone said the lack of fire trucks in west Altadena probably boiled down to “human error” by fire officials who decided where the trucks should move.

    [ad_2]

    Terry Castleman, Rebecca Ellis, Grace Toohey

    Source link