ReportWire

Tag: fbi director kash patel

  • FBI combs desert terrain for clues in Nancy Guthrie’s disappearance

    [ad_1]

    Fresh surveillance images from Nancy Guthrie’s porch the night she went missing, coupled with intense police activity across Arizona and the detention of a man had raised hopes that authorities were nearing a major break.But then the man was released after questioning, leaving it unclear where the investigation stood into last week’s disappearance of Guthrie, the 84-year-old mother of “Today” show host Savannah Guthrie.FBI agents carrying water bottles to beat the 80-degree heat Wednesday walked among rocks and desert vegetation at Guthrie’s Tucson-area home. They also fanned out across a neighborhood about a mile away, knocking on doors and searching through cactuses, bushes and boulders.Several hundred detectives and agents are now assigned to the investigation, which is expanding in the area, the Pima County Sheriff’s Department said.In a nearby neighborhood, two investigators emerged from daughter Annie Guthrie’s home with a paper grocery sack and a white trash bag. One, still wearing blue protective gloves, also took a stack of mail from the roadside mailbox. They drove away without speaking to reporters.The New York Post is reporting investigators have seemingly recovered a black glove in the area near Nancy Guthrie’s home, but it’s not clear if authorities believe it’s the same glove worn by the person seen in doorbell camera footage. Barb Dutrow, who was jogging through a neighborhood where teams were searching, said an FBI agent told her they were looking for anything that might have been tossed from a car. Dutrow, who was visiting from Louisiana for a convention, said she “can’t imagine the feeling of the family of having their mother taken.”A day earlier, authorities said they had stopped a man near the U.S.-Mexico border, just hours after the FBI released videos of a person wearing a gun holster, ski mask and backpack and approaching Nancy Guthrie’s home in Tucson. The man told media outlets early Wednesday that he was released after several hours and had nothing to do with Guthrie’s disappearance last week.Authorities have not said what led them to stop the man Tuesday but confirmed he was released. The sheriff’s department said its deputies and FBI agents also searched a location in Rio Rico, a city south of Tucson where the man lives.Video above: Person detained for questioning and released as search for Nancy Guthrie continuesIt was the latest twist in an investigation that has gripped the nation since Nancy Guthrie disappeared on Feb. 1. Until Tuesday, it seemed authorities were making little headway in determining what happened to her or finding who was responsible.The black and white images released by the FBI showing a masked person trying to cover a doorbell camera on Guthrie’s porch marked the first significant break in the case. But the images did not show what happened to her or help determine whether she is still alive.FBI Director Kash Patel said investigators spent days trying to find lost, corrupted or inaccessible images.Even though the images do not show the person’s face, investigators are hopeful someone will know who was on the porch. More than 4,000 calls came into the Pima County sheriff’s tip line within the past 24 hours, the department said Wednesday afternoon.Authorities have said for more than a week that they believe Nancy Guthrie was taken against her will. She was last seen at home Jan. 31 and reported missing the next day. DNA tests showed blood on her porch was hers, authorities said.Savannah Guthrie posted the new surveillance images on social media and said the family believes their mother is still alive.The longtime NBC host and her two siblings have indicated a willingness to pay a ransom.It is not known whether ransom notes demanding money with deadlines that have already passed were authentic, and whether the family has had any contact with whoever took Guthrie.TMZ reported it received a message Wednesday from someone claiming to know the kidnapper’s identity and that they unsuccessfully tried to reach Savannah Guthrie’s brother and sister. The person asked for bitcoin in exchange for the information, TMZ said. The FBI did not immediately respond to a message.Authorities have said Nancy Guthrie takes several medications and there was concern from the start that she could die without them.___Associated Press reporters Hallie Golden in Seattle, John Seewer in Toledo, Ohio, and Ed White in Detroit contributed to this report.

    Fresh surveillance images from Nancy Guthrie’s porch the night she went missing, coupled with intense police activity across Arizona and the detention of a man had raised hopes that authorities were nearing a major break.

    But then the man was released after questioning, leaving it unclear where the investigation stood into last week’s disappearance of Guthrie, the 84-year-old mother of “Today” show host Savannah Guthrie.

    FBI agents carrying water bottles to beat the 80-degree heat Wednesday walked among rocks and desert vegetation at Guthrie’s Tucson-area home. They also fanned out across a neighborhood about a mile away, knocking on doors and searching through cactuses, bushes and boulders.

    Several hundred detectives and agents are now assigned to the investigation, which is expanding in the area, the Pima County Sheriff’s Department said.

    In a nearby neighborhood, two investigators emerged from daughter Annie Guthrie’s home with a paper grocery sack and a white trash bag. One, still wearing blue protective gloves, also took a stack of mail from the roadside mailbox. They drove away without speaking to reporters.

    The New York Post is reporting investigators have seemingly recovered a black glove in the area near Nancy Guthrie’s home, but it’s not clear if authorities believe it’s the same glove worn by the person seen in doorbell camera footage.

    Barb Dutrow, who was jogging through a neighborhood where teams were searching, said an FBI agent told her they were looking for anything that might have been tossed from a car. Dutrow, who was visiting from Louisiana for a convention, said she “can’t imagine the feeling of the family of having their mother taken.”

    A day earlier, authorities said they had stopped a man near the U.S.-Mexico border, just hours after the FBI released videos of a person wearing a gun holster, ski mask and backpack and approaching Nancy Guthrie’s home in Tucson. The man told media outlets early Wednesday that he was released after several hours and had nothing to do with Guthrie’s disappearance last week.

    Authorities have not said what led them to stop the man Tuesday but confirmed he was released. The sheriff’s department said its deputies and FBI agents also searched a location in Rio Rico, a city south of Tucson where the man lives.

    Video above: Person detained for questioning and released as search for Nancy Guthrie continues

    It was the latest twist in an investigation that has gripped the nation since Nancy Guthrie disappeared on Feb. 1. Until Tuesday, it seemed authorities were making little headway in determining what happened to her or finding who was responsible.

    The black and white images released by the FBI showing a masked person trying to cover a doorbell camera on Guthrie’s porch marked the first significant break in the case. But the images did not show what happened to her or help determine whether she is still alive.

    FBI Director Kash Patel said investigators spent days trying to find lost, corrupted or inaccessible images.

    Even though the images do not show the person’s face, investigators are hopeful someone will know who was on the porch. More than 4,000 calls came into the Pima County sheriff’s tip line within the past 24 hours, the department said Wednesday afternoon.

    Authorities have said for more than a week that they believe Nancy Guthrie was taken against her will. She was last seen at home Jan. 31 and reported missing the next day. DNA tests showed blood on her porch was hers, authorities said.

    Savannah Guthrie posted the new surveillance images on social media and said the family believes their mother is still alive.

    The longtime NBC host and her two siblings have indicated a willingness to pay a ransom.

    It is not known whether ransom notes demanding money with deadlines that have already passed were authentic, and whether the family has had any contact with whoever took Guthrie.

    TMZ reported it received a message Wednesday from someone claiming to know the kidnapper’s identity and that they unsuccessfully tried to reach Savannah Guthrie’s brother and sister. The person asked for bitcoin in exchange for the information, TMZ said. The FBI did not immediately respond to a message.

    Authorities have said Nancy Guthrie takes several medications and there was concern from the start that she could die without them.

    ___

    Associated Press reporters Hallie Golden in Seattle, John Seewer in Toledo, Ohio, and Ed White in Detroit contributed to this report.

    [ad_2]

    Source link

  • FBI thwarts ‘potential terrorist attack’ in Michigan

    [ad_1]

    FBI Director Kash Patel said Friday the bureau had thwarted a “potential terrorist attack.”In a social media post, Patel said, “multiple subjects” were arrested by the FBI in Michigan Friday morning. Those subjects were allegedly plotting a violent attack over Halloween weekend, according to Patel. The director said more details were expected to come later.The FBI’s Detroit field office confirmed “the FBI in Michigan were present in the cities of Dearborn and Inkster this morning conducting law enforcement activities,” spokesperson Jordan Hall told CNN. “There is no current threat to public safety.”The Dearborn Police Department said it “has been made aware that the FBI conducted operations in the City of Dearborn earlier this morning.”“We want to assure our residents that there is no threat to the community at this time,” the police department said.Neither the FBI nor the Dearborn police said that the operations were connected to the arrests Patel announced Friday morning.This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

    FBI Director Kash Patel said Friday the bureau had thwarted a “potential terrorist attack.”

    In a social media post, Patel said, “multiple subjects” were arrested by the FBI in Michigan Friday morning. Those subjects were allegedly plotting a violent attack over Halloween weekend, according to Patel.

    The director said more details were expected to come later.

    The FBI’s Detroit field office confirmed “the FBI in Michigan were present in the cities of Dearborn and Inkster this morning conducting law enforcement activities,” spokesperson Jordan Hall told CNN. “There is no current threat to public safety.”

    The Dearborn Police Department said it “has been made aware that the FBI conducted operations in the City of Dearborn earlier this morning.”

    “We want to assure our residents that there is no threat to the community at this time,” the police department said.

    Neither the FBI nor the Dearborn police said that the operations were connected to the arrests Patel announced Friday morning.

    This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

    [ad_2]

    Source link

  • Fact Check: Private Jet N888KG Is NOT Part Of Investigation Into Utah Assassination Of Charlie Kirk, As Of September 21, 2025

    [ad_1]

    Is the privately owned aircraft with the tail number N888KG known to be part of the investigation of the assassination of Charlie Kirk? No, that’s not true: On September 21, 2025, FBI Director Kash Patel wrote on social media that the investigation ruled out any connection between the shooting and the plane’s flights on the day Kirk was shot. The jet’s owner publicly denied the accusations that intermittent transponder data from his company’s plane suggested the plane was involved in a conspiracy.

    The claim appeared a video (archived here) published on TikTok on September 11, 2025, under the caption:

    🚨CHARLIE -KIRK-UPDATE🚨

    The clip’s description continued:

    Why did this plane disable its radar? Notably, 30 minutes into the flight, it disappeared from ADS-B and reappeared headed back to Provo approximately an hour later. #CharlieKirk #turningpoint #utah #fbi #police

    This is what the post looked like on TikTok at the time of writing:

    Image source: Lead Stories screenshot of post at tiktok.com/@ohio.dude.news

    The post implied that the allegedly interrupted data flow coming from the jet was irregular and suspicious.

    The jet in question was registered to the business address of a marketing company. On September 11, 2025, its CEO Derek Maxfield published a statement (archived here and here) refuting the accusations. His post described a suggestion that the plane had anything to do with the murder as one of the “baseless theories” that has “unfairly impacted” his family. He confirmed that the jet is owned by one of his companies and that a “prescheduled flight” departed at 1:20 pm from the Provo Airport in Utah for Page, Arizona. The statement reads:

    Occupants at take-off included two pilots and no passengers. N888KG arrived at the Page, AZ Airport (PGA) at approximately 1:55 pm MT, 12:55 pm local time. Upon arrival, I, Derek Maxfield, boarded N888KG, along with 7 additional passengers for the return trip to PVU. N888KG departed PGA at approximately 1:40 pm local time (2:40 pm MT) and arrived at PVU at approximately 3:15 pm MT.

    It continued:

    N888KG pilots followed all FAA requirements and protocols, tower directions and the predetermined flight plan. This roundtrip was made at my request and solely for my purposes. Any suggestion that the flights by N888KG yesterday are in any way connected to the tragic shooting of Mr. Kirk is inaccurate, false and without any credible basis of any kind.

    Later, on September 21, 2025, FBI Director Kash Patel wrote on X (archived here):

    Regarding specific details, such as questions about the plane that allegedly turned off its transponder after departing from an airport near the assassination site, we can share updates when answers are confirmed. After interviews with the pilot and consultation with the FAA, we determined the transponder was not turned off. Incomplete flight data in rural areas caused the apparent gap.

    [ad_2]

    Source link

  • Prosecutors will seek death penalty for suspect in killing of Charlie Kirk

    [ad_1]

    Prosecutors will seek the death penalty for Tyler Robinson, the 22-year-old man accused of killing Charlie Kirk with a single shot at Utah Valley University, officials announced Tuesday.

    “I do not take this decision lightly,” Utah County Atty. Jeffrey Gray said during a news conference. “It’s a decision I made independently as county attorney.”

    Robinson has been charged with seven counts, Gray said, including one count of aggravated murder and two counts of obstruction of justice, for allegedly hiding the rifle used in the killing and disposing of his clothes.

    • Share via

    Robinson is also facing two counts of witness tampering after he allegedly instructed his roommate to delete incriminating texts, and asking them not to talk to investigators if they were questioned by authorities.

    Kirk, 31, was an influential figure in conservative and right-wing circles, winning praise for his views on heated topics, including abortion, immigration and gender identity.

    His death by a single gunshot during a speaking engagement at Utah Valley University shocked the nation and has led to vigorous debate over the motivations of his accused killer.

    The FBI said it collected a screwdriver containing Robinson’s DNA on the rooftop of a building at Utah Valley University and a firearm wrapped in a towel that had been discarded in a nearby wooded area. The towel also had Robinson’s DNA on it, FBI Director Kash Patel said, adding that the firearm was still being processed for forensic evidence.

    As Robinson was set to appear in court for the first time, Patel appeared before the U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary, where he faced harsh questioning and criticism over his handling of the agency and the immediate investigation into Kirk’s killing.

    Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois, the top Democrat on the committee, accused Patel of releasing incorrect information about the shooting in order to take credit for the arrest.

    “Director Patel again sparked mass confusion by incorrectly claiming on social media that the shooter was in custody — which he then had to walk back with another social media post,” Durbin said in his opening remarks. “Mr. Patel was so anxious to take credit for finding Mr. Kirk’s assassin that he violated one of the basics of effective law enforcement: at critical stages of an investigation, shut up and let the professionals do their job.”

    But Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) defended Patel’s handling of the Kirk probe.

    “I’ve seen no reason for the armchair quarterbacks to be criticizing his performance,” Cornyn said. “I mean, it took roughly 33 hours to arrest the killer. And you know, there’s always a certain fog that goes along with emergency situations like this. So I know initially they thought they had their man, but turned out not.”

    During the hearing, Patel said investigators had interviewed numerous people tied to Robinson, including relatives, friends and his partner.

    Patel confirmed Robinson’s partner was transitioning from male to female.

    He added that the source and reasoning behind engravings on the shell casings is still under investigation.

    Officials are still examining whether “anyone was involved as an accomplice.”

    Agents are also interviewing people who interacted with the suspect online, Patel said.

    That includes a Discord chat that seems to have involved more than 20 people moments after the shooting.

    “We’re running them all down,” Patel said.

    The FBI, he said, is “going to be investigating anyone and everyone involved in that Discord chat.”

    [ad_2]

    Salvador Hernandez, Richard Winton

    Source link