ReportWire

Tag: drug raid

  • ICE agents involved in Hibbing restaurant drug bust, sheriff says

    [ad_1]


    WCCO is working to learn more about a federal immigration enforcement operation on Wednesday afternoon in northern Minnesota.

    St. Louis County Sheriff Gordon Ramsay said agents with Immigrations and Customs Enforcement, the Drug Enforcement Administration, the Internal Revenue Service and U.S. Border Patrol joined members of the Lake Superior Violent Offenders Task Force during a drug bust at a Hibbing restaurant off East 18th Street and Third Avenue East just after noon.

    Ramsay said one person was arrested for selling cocaine and illegal firearm possession as part of an ongoing investigation that began last month. The suspect was “also in possession of several fake identification documents,” according to Ramsay.

    But after the arrest, a restaurant employee told Northern News Now ICE agents began detaining anyone without proper documents. It’s unclear how many people were detained.

    “The Sheriff’s Office is aware that federal law enforcement took additional actions during this search warrant,” Ramsay said. “The federal investigation is independent of this case; therefore we have nothing further to add.”

    Last week, Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem visited Minneapolis to discuss ICE operations in Minnesota, stating more than 4,300 people who were “committing crimes and here illegally in this county” have been arrested in the state since January. Noem said 3,316 of those arrestees have criminal histories. 

    Noem said ICE agents have been “demonized” in Minnesota, and more agents are headed to the state.

    Earlier this month, an entire four-man roofing crew was arrested by ICE agents in a private backyard in St. Paul, Minnesota. An ICE spokesperson said three of the men had criminal records and were slated to be deported.

    This story will be updated.

    [ad_2]

    Stephen Swanson

    Source link

  • Man indicted in major drug bust after 15 pounds of fentanyl seized from Bellport home

    Man indicted in major drug bust after 15 pounds of fentanyl seized from Bellport home

    [ad_1]

    BELLPORT, Long Island (WABC) — The amount of fentanyl seized during a major drug trafficking bust in Bellport was “enough to kill everyone on Long Island,” according to Suffolk County officials.

    Officers arrested and indicted 43-year-old Bellport resident Remon Gibson after 33 pounds of narcotics, including 15 pounds of fentanyl and 17.5 pounds of cocaine, was seized from his home on Sunburst Lane on September 25.

    “The amount of deadly narcotics seized in this operation is staggering. There was enough fentanyl here to kill every man, woman, and child on Long Island,” said Suffolk County District Attorney Raymond Tierney. “This case underscores our unwavering commitment to dismantling drug operations that threaten our communities.”

    In addition to the various types of illegal drug paraphernalia, authorities seized around $80,000 in cash, a drug ledger, and kilo presses, including one with plates used for bricks of fentanyl and cocaine, stamped “COVID 19.”

    Officials say a large amount of fentanyl was allegedly found on a nightstand in Gibson’s bedroom, which was adjacent to a room occupied by his two children. Cocaine was also allegedly found hidden in a trap behind a backyard shed.

    On Wednesday, Gibson was arraigned on an indictment on charges including operating as a major trafficker, criminal possession of a controlled substance in the first and third degree, criminally using drug paraphernalia and endangering the welfare of a child.

    A judge ordered Gibson held on $200,000 cash, $800,000 bond or $2,000,000 partially secured bond.

    Gibson’s attorney George Duncan released a statement to Eyewitness News about his client.

    “My client maintains his innocence,” Duncan said. “We look forward to defending the allegations in the court room. We will evaluate the discovery to see if it supports the claims made by the district attorney.”

    ———-

    * More Long Island news

    * Send us a news tip

    * Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts

    * Follow us on YouTube

    Submit a tip or story idea to Eyewitness News

    Have a breaking news tip or an idea for a story we should cover? Send it to Eyewitness News using the form below. If attaching a video or photo, terms of use apply.

    Copyright © 2024 WABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.

    [ad_2]

    WABC

    Source link