ReportWire

Tag: Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department

  • Charlotte student suffered brain injury after officer slammed her, attorney says

    [ad_1]

    Ke’Nadie Cathey’s family and others in the community held a press conference outside Charlotte-Mecklenburg police headquarters on Nov. 8, 2025, to share that her health was not good after a school resource officer slammed her to the ground.

    Ke’Nadie Cathey’s family and others in the community held a press conference outside Charlotte-Mecklenburg police headquarters on Nov. 8, 2025, to share that her health was not good after a school resource officer slammed her to the ground.

    The Charlotte Observer

    The teenage girl slammed to the ground by a school resource officer at West Charlotte High School has gone from singing, dancing and interacting with her siblings to sleeping all the time, her mother told The Charlotte Observer on Saturday.

    Freshman Ke’Nadie Cathey suffered a “serious brain injury” after the Oct. 31 incident, family attorney Micheal Littlejohn said. A CT scan “confirmed bleeding on the brain,” or a subdural hematoma, he said. She began having seizures, he said.

    “Everybody’s upset and angry and feeling overprotective about the whole situation,” said her mother, Shakera Rorie. “We just want something done, and this never happened to us before, so we don’t even know what steps to take.”

    The family took one step on Saturday when they held a press conference outside the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department’s headquarters in uptown. They held up signs that read “DEMANDING JUSTICE FOR KE’NADIE” and wore matching black.

    All she knows, Rorie told the Observer after that press conference, is that her daughter got into a fight at school before the officer slammed her to the ground.

    The incident was partly caught on video. It showed a crowd of people in a bus lot, watching a fight. A police officer in the middle of the crowd held a stun gun as he picked up a female student — apparently Cathey — and slammed her. Another officer walked over as she was motionless.

    Rorie has heard nothing from CMPD except for when they asked for a statement from her daughter, she said.

    Ke’Nadie Cathey
    Ke’Nadie Cathey Courtesy photo

    The family’s hope is for something “more than a suspension,” she said. For now, she has taken her daughter back to the hospital several times, she said, and another appointment is scheduled.

    The girl’s father, Keai Cathey, simply asked that the community pray.

    At one point during Saturday’s press conference, one of the girl’s siblings suddenly collapsed on the steps outside CMPD’s headquarters, seemingly fainting. It was just another sign of what the family was going through, Rorie said.

    Charlotte-Mecklenburg police did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Saturday afternoon.

    Deputy Chief Ryan Butler previously said that the officer in the video is on administrative leave while criminal and internal affairs investigations are underway. Police want information from witnesses, they have said.

    Ryan Oehrli covers criminal justice in the Charlotte region for The Charlotte Observer. His work is produced with financial support from the nonprofit The Just Trust. The Observer maintains full editorial control of its journalism.

    Related Stories from Charlotte Observer

    Ryan Oehrli

    The Charlotte Observer

    Ryan Oehrli writes about criminal justice for The Charlotte Observer. His reporting has delved into police misconduct, jail and prison deaths, the state’s pardon system and more. He was also part of a team of Pulitzer finalists who covered Hurricane Helene. A North Carolina native, he grew up in Beaufort County.
    Support my work with a digital subscription

    [ad_2]

    Ryan Oehrli

    Source link

  • CMPD investigating overnight north Charlotte homicide

    [ad_1]

    The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department is investigating a homicide after two people were shot in north Charlotte early Sunday morning.

    Police responded to the scene of the shooting at the 200 block of Atando Avenue around 2:45 a.m. Sunday, after receiving reports of gunshots in the area.

    There, police found two people had been shot.

    MEDIC pronounced one of the victims deceased at the scene. The other victim was transported to a nearby hospital with life-threatening injuries.

    The investigation is active and ongoing. Police have asked that anyone with information call 704-334-1600.

    No additional details have been made available.

    This is a developing story. Check back with wsoctv.com for updates.

    WATCH: CATS releases video of deadly random stabbing on light rail

    [ad_2]

    Source link