ReportWire

Tag: 9/11 attacks

  • New York City Fire Department wants answers after discovery of documents about toxins at ground zero

    [ad_1]

    NEW YORK — Members of the New York City Fire Department and union leaders held an emergency rally in Manhattan on Monday afternoon over the discovery of previously undisclosed records about ground zero.

    They are demanding answers after it was revealed that first responders were exposed to toxins on 9/11 that the city knew about but never shared.

    Officials say 68 previously undisclosed boxes containing information on the 9/11 toxins were found after legislation was ordered demanding a probe into what and when the city knew about toxins at ground zero.

    Union officials say the information in those documents contained critical “life-and-death” data.

    Officials say the documents prove city leaders at the time of the attack were aware there was asbestos in the air, but intentionally hid the information.

    SEE ALSO: Scientists still working to make 9/11 DNA matches 24 years later

    “They had real testing done. And when that testing was done, it was suppressed. And everyone was told the air was safe; people would have made different choices,” an official said.

    Since the 9/11 attacks, 400 members of the FDNY have died from illnesses linked to ground zero toxins.

    A spokesperson with City Hall said they remain dedicated to the victims and their families and the answers they need.

    “As one of the many first responders at Ground Zero on 9/11 and in the weeks that followed, Mayor Adams has been unwavering in his commitment to ensuring victims, their families, first responders, and survivors receive the care and services they deserve,” the spokesperson said. “While we cannot comment on the specifics of pending litigation, the city has begun turning over documents to plaintiff’s counsel, and both parties are working out a schedule to continue this process. We remain dedicated to getting 9/11 victims and their families the answers they need, and thank the brave men and women who risk their lives every day to keep our city safe.”

    Copyright © 2025 WABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.

    [ad_2]

    WABC

    Source link

  • Colorado flags at half-staff through Sunday to honor 9/11 anniversary and death of Charlie Kirk

    [ad_1]

    DENVER — Colorado Gov. Jared Polis has ordered flags to half-staff on Thursday in honor of the 9/11 anniversary and the death of political activist Charlie Kirk on Wednesday.

    “On 9/11, we remember the 2,976 souls lost that tragic day, honor the first responders who ran toward the danger to help others, and mourn with the families who still have an empty seat at the dinner table,” Gov. Polis said.

    Flags will fly at half-staff from sunrise to sunset on Thursday to pay respects to all those who lost their lives on Sept. 11, 2001, their loved ones, and how the terrorist attack changed the fabric of the United States.

    National News

    Trump attends Pentagon ceremony as US marks 24 years since Sept. 11 attacks

    President Donald Trump then ordered the flags to stay at half-staff through sunset on Sunday in honor of Kirk who was shot and killed while speaking at an event on the Utah Valley University campus in Orem, Utah.

    “Political violence is never acceptable and I condemn the brutal and inexcusable attack on Charlie Kirk in Utah. This is a challenging time for so many in our country, but any divisions we face will never be solved by trying to hurt each other. I am sending hope and love to his friends and his family in this dark hour. I encourage everyone to be stronger and disagree better and peacefully,” Gov. Polis said

    31-year-old Kirk was the co-founder of Turning Point USA, a right-wing political nonprofit organization that advocates for conservative politics on high school and college campuses across the U.S. — making him a major figure and voice within the young conservative movement, with millions of followers across his various social media platforms.

    National News

    Who was Charlie Kirk? What we know about the conservative political influencer

    Kirk’s stop Wednesday at Utah Valley University was part of his “The American Comeback Tour,” where he engaged students through political debates under tents branded with phrases like “Prove Me Wrong.”

    The tour was set to stop at Colorado State University (CSU) next Thursday, September 18, according to The American Comeback Tour website. CSU has a local chapter of Turning Point USA on its campus.

    The American Comeback Tour

    Kirk is among numerous political figures who have been the targets of violent attacks in recent years. President Trump himself survived a gunshot wound to the ear at a rally in Pennsylvania last year.

    National News

    Gun used to kill Charlie Kirk found in wooded area; Trump blames ‘radical left’

    There have also been politically motivated attacks on Democrats, including in June, when Minnesota House Democratic Leader Melissa Hortman and her husband, Mark, were fatally shot, while State Sen. John Hoffman and his wife, Yvette, were wounded. In 2022, Paul Pelosi, the husband of then-Speaker Nancy Pelosi, was attacked inside the couple’s San Francisco home.

    Coloradans making a difference | Denver7 featured videos


    Denver7 is committed to making a difference in our community by standing up for what’s right, listening, lending a helping hand and following through on promises. See that work in action, in the videos above.

    [ad_2]

    Katie Parkins

    Source link