ReportWire

Tag: blind side

  • ‘The Blind Side’ parents say they never intended to adopt Michael Oher – National | Globalnews.ca

    ‘The Blind Side’ parents say they never intended to adopt Michael Oher – National | Globalnews.ca

    [ad_1]

    Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy have hit back at Michael Oher, claiming there was “never an intent to adopt him” despite the former NFL player’s bombshell lawsuit alleging he was tricked into entering a conservatorship.

    The Tuohy couple filed their response to Oher’s lawsuit on Thursday in the Shelby County Probate Court in Tennessee. In the legal filing, the Tuohys said they “are ready, willing, and able” to end Oher’s conservatorship.

    Oher, whose life served as inspiration for the book and film The Blind Side, filed a lawsuit against the Tuohys that accused them of using a conservatorship to gain control of his finances. He claimed Sean and Leigh Anne have made “millions” profiting off his name and story since the Oscar-winning movie was released in 2009. Oher has never been a fan of the movie about his life.

    Story continues below advertisement

    In the new filing, the Tuohys, both 63, “vehemently deny” that they ever told Oher, 37, he would be adopted.

    They note that though they “occasionally” called Oher “son,” the word was always used “in the colloquial sense.” The Tuohys said they have always felt Oher was like a son to them, just not in a legal sense. The couple does not believe calling Oher “son” ever caused him “any irreparable harm,” as he claimed in his own lawsuit.

    They asked the court to dismiss Oher’s request for financial compensation. Oher also asked for the Tuohys to file a fulsome accounting of his finances, which the couple admitted they have never done.

    The Tuohys have maintained they established a conservatorship when he was 18 to help Oher obtain health insurance and a driver’s licence and be admitted to college. They said the conservatorship allowed Oher to skirt NCAA rules that may have impeded his ability to play football for the University of Mississippi, where the Tuohys were donors.

    In his lawsuit, Oher said he did not know about the conservatorship until February 2023. The Tuohy couple claimed Oher was aware of the arrangement and pointed to his 2011 memoir I Beat The Odds as proof, since Oher referred to the Tuohys as his “legal conservators.”

    Oher previously argued the Tuohys saw him as “a gullible young man whose athletic talent could be exploited for their own benefit.” He’s asked for a full accounting of the money earned off the use of his name and story.

    Story continues below advertisement

    The Tuohys claimed they “never negotiated any contract with 20th Century Fox or others” in regard to the movie The Blind Side. They said arrangements were made by Michael Lewis, who wrote the book The Blind Side. 

    The Tuohys said the payment from the film was split between them, Oher and the couple’s two biological children, Collins Tuohy and Sean Tuohy Jr.

    They claimed everyone, including Oher, “received a portion of the money paid to Michael Lewis which was something less than US$225,000” (about C$304,500).

    “It is important to note that (Oher’s) share was paid to (the Tuohys) who paid the taxes due on these funds for some period of time but still cut a check for a full share (20%) to (Oher),” the legal filing reads.

    Oher has not yet commented publicly on the Tuohys’ legal response.

    The Tuohys claimed last month that Oher has, in the past, attempted to extract money from them and threatened to plant a negative story in the press if the Tuohys didn’t pay him US$15 million (just over C$20.2 million).


    Click to play video: '‘Blind Side’ family accuses Michael Oher of $20M ‘shakedown’ attempt'


    ‘Blind Side’ family accuses Michael Oher of $20M ‘shakedown’ attempt


    Oher was the 23rd overall pick in the 2009 draft out of Mississippi, and he spent his first five seasons with the Baltimore Ravens, where he won a Super Bowl. He played 110 games over eight NFL seasons, including 2014, when he started 11 games for the Tennessee Titans. Oher finished his career with two years in Carolina.

    Story continues below advertisement

    He released a new memoir about his life last month, titled When Your Back’s Against the Wall: Fame, Football, and Lessons Learned through a Lifetime of Adversity. 

    — With files from Global News’ Kathryn Mannie

    &copy 2023 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

    [ad_2]

    Sarah Do Couto

    Source link

  • ‘Blind Side’ family accuses Michael Oher of $20M ‘shakedown’ attempt – National | Globalnews.ca

    ‘Blind Side’ family accuses Michael Oher of $20M ‘shakedown’ attempt – National | Globalnews.ca

    [ad_1]

    Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy have spoken out against claims that they tricked former NFL tackle Michael Oher into a conservatorship instead of adopting him, and made millions off his name while he received nothing.

    Oher accused the Tuohy family of this, and more, in a suit filed Monday seeking to terminate the conservatorship.

    In a statement from the Tuohy family lawyer, obtained by The Associated Press, the Tuohys called the lawsuit “hurtful and absurd” and said it was part of a “shakedown” attempt by Oher, 37, whose life story inspired the book and movie The Blind Side.

    Lawyer Martin Singer claims that Oher attempted to extract money from the Tuohy family in the past when he threatened to plant a negative story about them in the press if the Tuohys didn’t pay him US$15 million (just over C$20 million).

    Story continues below advertisement

    “They have consistently treated him like a son and one of their three children,” Singer said in the statement. “His response was to threaten them, including saying that he would plant a negative story about them in the press unless they paid him $15 million.”

    The statement goes on to say that the idea that the Tuohys sought to profit off Oher is “not only offensive, it is transparently ridiculous.” The statement notes the Tuohys are worth “hundreds of millions of dollars” and had no need to “withhold a few thousand dollars.”

    The Tuohys made their money by owning a string of fast-food franchises.


    Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy stand on a street in New Orleans, Feb. 1, 2013.


    AP Photo/Gerald Herbert, File

    Singer said the Tuohys hope Oher regrets his recent decisions and that they can reconcile.

    “In the meantime, however, they will not hesitate to defend their good names, stand up to this shakedown and defeat this offensive lawsuit,” the statement says.

    Story continues below advertisement

    The Tuohys, however, do not deny that they have a conservatorship over Oher, though they insist they only set it up to help him with health insurance, a driver’s licence and being admitted to college. The statement says the Tuohys will not oppose Oher’s wish to end their conservatorship.

    In an interview with the Daily Memphian, Sean Tuohy said he was “devastated” by the lawsuit but still loves Oher, nonetheless.

    “It’s upsetting to think we would make money off any of our children. But we’re going to love Michael at 37 just like we loved him at 16,” he said.

    Sean Tuohy also contends that the family tried to adopt Oher around the time the conservatorship papers were signed, but they were unable to because Oher had already turned 18. Only then did they decide on a conservatorship.

    In the state of Tennessee, where the Tuohys live, the adoption of adults is permitted, according to law firm Anderson Hunter.

    Oher filed a petition Monday in Shelby County Probate Court asking a judge to terminate the conservatorship initiated by the Tuohys in 2004 — months after he turned 18.

    “Michael trusted the Tuohys and signed where they told him to sign,” the legal filing reads. “What he signed, however, and unknown to Michael until after February 2023, were not adoption papers, or the equivalent of adoption papers.”

    Story continues below advertisement

    Oher learned “that the Conservatorship to which he consented on the basis that doing so would make him a member of the Tuohy family, in fact provided him no familial relationship with the Tuohys,” according to his petition.

    He is also asking for a full accounting of his assets considering his life story produced millions of dollars through the movie The Blind Side. He says he received nothing.

    Oher has never been a fan of the movie about his life, in which his purported adoption by the Tuohy family plays a central element to the plot. He claims in his petition that four members of the Tuohy family — Sean, Leigh Anne, and their two children — each made over US$200,000 from the movie outright, in addition to 2.5 per cent in residuals.

    Oher’s lawyer J. Gerard Stranch IV told ESPN that the former NFLer recently learned he was the only one not receiving royalty checks for the movie, and hired Stranch to look into it. That’s when the lawyer uncovered the conservatorship papers that showed Oher was never formally adopted by the Tuohys.

    “Mike didn’t grow up with a stable family life. When the Tuohy family told Mike they loved him and wanted to adopt him, it filled a void that had been with him his entire life,” Stranch told ESPN. “Discovering that he wasn’t actually adopted devastated Mike and wounded him deeply.”

    Story continues below advertisement


    Michael Oher #73 of the Carolina Panthers watches play against the Arizona Cardinals during the NFC Championship Game at Bank Of America Stadium on January 24, 2016 in Charlotte, North Carolina.


    Scott Cunningham/Getty Images

    According to the Tuohy family statement, agents negotiated a small advance from the production company for The Blind Side, which was based on the book written by Sean Tuohy’s friend Michael Lewis. That included “a tiny percentage of net profits” divided equally with the Tuohys and Oher.

    The family’s lawyer claims they have evidence of this in the form of profit participation cheques and studio accounting statements.

    He claims Oher refused to cash these “small profit checks” as part of his “shakedown effort,” so the Tuohys deposited Oher’s share into a trust account set up for the former NFLer’s son.

    The Tuohys insist they received “not one penny” as Oher’s conservators.

    The statement claims that Oher has tried this “several times before” only to have lawyers stop representing him once they learned the truth. The statement called this a “cynical attempt” as part of Oher’s latest book tour.

    Story continues below advertisement

    Oher was the 23rd overall pick in the 2009 draft out of Mississippi, and he spent his first five seasons with the Baltimore Ravens where he won a Super Bowl. He played 110 games over eight NFL seasons, including 2014 when he started 11 games for the Tennessee Titans. Oher finished his career with two years in Carolina.

    — With files from The Associated Press

    &copy 2023 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

    [ad_2]

    Kathryn Mannie

    Source link