ReportWire

Tag: medical negligence

  • Charlotte woman again sues Novant, questions baby’s death

    [ad_1]

    A Charlotte woman suspicious of what happened to her premature baby is reviving legal action against Novant Health, she said in a press conference Thursday.

    In a lawsuit re-filed this week, she accuses the health system of negligence and emotional distress following a February 2022 ordeal that she said left her devastated and confused. Her story was first reported by the Charlotte Observer in 2024.

    After giving birth to a premature daughter, Legacy, at Novant, LaChunda Hunter was told her baby had died in the hospital’s intensive care unit for infants. But three days later, a neonatal specialist told her the baby’s condition was improving, her lawsuit states.

    Yet another doctor called again the same day, this time to say that the hospital had made a mistake and the encouraging test results she’d been provided were for a different baby, the suit says. She was told that her little girl, Legacy, had died.

    An enlarged photo of Legacy Gray Hunter is held as her mother, Lachunda, speaks at a press conference about her lawsuit against Novant Health on Thursday.
    An enlarged photo of Legacy Gray Hunter is held as her mother, Lachunda, speaks at a press conference about her lawsuit against Novant Health on Thursday. Melissa Melvin-Rodriguez mrodriguez@charlotteobserver.com

    Novant officials wouldn’t meet with Hunter to explain what happened, she said, and the doctor who told her that the call saying Legacy was alive had been a mistake threatened to have Hunter arrested if she came to the hospital.

    Discrepancies in the child’s medical chart, including updates days after the death that the infant was having tubes removed, have also left Hunter wondering what really happened to Legacy.

    Since then, Hunter has questioned whether the baby she buried was really hers. An initial DNA test was inconclusive, but a second set of results — requested by Novant, she said — showed the baby was hers. Hunter, though, says she doesn’t believe that a second sample was actually taken for testing, since she never signed for it.

    A photo of the infant in a coffin displayed during Thursday’s press conference in front of Novant’s Presbyterian Medical Center shows the baby looks unlike Legacy, Hunter said, particularly since she thinks the baby’s body appears to have male genitalia.

    Novant Health did not immediately respond to a request for comment Thursday.

    Mistreatment claims

    Hunter initially filed suit against Novant and the doctors involved in March 2024, but the case was voluntarily dismissed last January, with the option to refile within a year.

    LaChunda Hunter in 2024 views a photo that she cherishes. It shows her placing her hand on the incubator of her baby girl, Legacy, who was born prematurely in February 2022.
    LaChunda Hunter in 2024 views a photo that she cherishes. It shows her placing her hand on the incubator of her baby girl, Legacy, who was born prematurely in February 2022. Melissa Melvin-Rodriguez mrodriguez@charlotteobserver.com

    John C. Barnett, a civil rights activist who stood with Hunter Thursday, said her experience with Novant is one of many alleging mistreatment that he’s heard from Black women.

    Alicia Pringle, of Wilmington, said she can relate to Hunter’s pain. Her daughter, Jocelyn, was born at Novant in October 2017 with a C-section delivery, she said Thursday. She was told her daughter passed while she was holding her, but she only saw her once, Pringle said. With no death certificate having been filed, she said, she’s doubted what happened to her daughter.

    Hunter, who stood with tears in her eyes in front of the Charlotte hospital Thursday afternoon, said she just wants clarity from Novant.

    “I just want my daughter. I want answers. I want to know what happened,” Hunter said.

    This story was originally published January 29, 2026 at 5:58 PM.

    Related Stories from Charlotte Observer

    Amber Gaudet

    The Charlotte Observer

    Amber is an investigative reporter for The Charlotte Observer. She’s produced award-winning business and investigative work, including a housing series that led to a federal inquiry and Texas state law change in 2023. Amber holds a master’s degree from the University of North Texas’ Mayborn School of Journalism.

    [ad_2]

    Amber Gaudet

    Source link

  • LI-based law firm expands to Bronx, boosts malpractice support | Long Island Business News

    [ad_1]

    A medical malpractice law firm with an office in Uniondale has expanded into the Bronx, having already won an in that county.

    Duffy & Duffy, which has an office at RXR Plaza, now also has a location at 388 Canal Place in the Bronx to strengthen its capacity in serving residents and families in the borough on medical malpractice, nursing home abuse and personal injury matters.

    “Opening an office in the Bronx is about showing up for the community” Michael Duffy, managing partner and general counsel at Duffy & Duffy, told LIBN.

    “Bronx families deserve accessible, high-level legal representation close to home, especially when they’ve been harmed by preventable medical negligence,” Duffy said.

    The firm secured the $80 million verdict in 2022, for a client who suffered permanent neurocognitive injuries, after a jury found that Jacobi Medical Center, part of NYC & Hospitals, was negligent. The client was born at 23 weeks following inadequate prenatal care, despite a known history of cervical weakness in the mother. The client suffered catastrophic injuries, including cerebral palsy, chronic lung disease, and profound intellectual and developmental disabilities.

    James LiCalzi, partner and associate general counsel at Duffy & Duffy, said in a news release that had “the doctors had provided our client’s mother with the proper medical care required under the circumstances, this tragedy could have been prevented.”

    Duffy & Duffy cited the case as an example of its work on medical accountability matters in the Bronx. The opening of the Bronx office further expands the firm’s capacity to handle such matters for the community, according to the news release.

    In addition to serving Long Island and New York City, the firm also serves clients in Westchester County.


    [ad_2]

    Adina Genn

    Source link

  • Third woman sues Phoenix doctor for botched plastic surgery

    Third woman sues Phoenix doctor for botched plastic surgery

    [ad_1]

    A third woman has sued Glendale plastic surgeon Bradley Becker, accusing him of medical negligence and failing to perform the breast lift, liposuction and revision to a tummy tuck scar she paid him to do. Julie Culton and her husband, Jay, sued Becker in Maricopa County Superior Court on Jan. 26…

    [ad_2]

    TJ L’Heureux

    Source link