ReportWire

Tag: louvre jewel heist

  • Paris prosecutor reports 4 more arrests in connection with Louvre jewel heist

    [ad_1]

    Paris prosecutor reports 4 more arrests in connection with Louvre jewel heist

    Paris prosecutor has been giving more details about the latest on the investigation into the heist at the Louvie Museum, confirming many of the details that we had understood already about the two men currently in custody that they are in their 30s, that they were known to police before the heist for things like low level delinquency, petty thefts, and that they had been tracked down thanks to DNA that had been found on one of the helmets they left behind. They are of Algerian nationality. And come from the outskirts of Paris. What the prosecutor said though is that they do believe that there were 4 people involved in the heist on the day itself. 2 others remain at large, and that she wouldn’t give that many details because this was an ongoing investigation. She also pointed out that whilst these other two were at large and they were looking for altogether they had not excluded the possibility that someone else may have been involved, whether to commission the theft or in other ways. She also added that there was no suggestion that anyone on the inside of the Louvre had been complicit in the heist. The latest details then an investigation that continues and no sign yet, she explained of the jewels themselves. Melissa Bell, CNN, Paris.

    Paris prosecutor reports 4 more arrests in connection with Louvre jewel heist

    Updated: 5:56 AM PST Nov 25, 2025

    Editorial Standards

    The Paris prosecutor is reporting four more arrests in connection with the jewel heist at the Louvre Museum in October. Two men and two women from the Paris region were taken into custody on Tuesday morning.The loot, valued at around $102 million, hasn’t been recovered. It includes a diamond-and-emerald necklace Napoleon gave to Empress Marie-Louise, jewels tied to 19th-century Queens Marie-Amélie and Hortense, and Empress Eugénie’s pearl-and-diamond tiara.This is a breaking news story and will be updated.Video below shows Louvre thieves escaping via truck-mounted lift

    The Paris prosecutor is reporting four more arrests in connection with the jewel heist at the Louvre Museum in October. Two men and two women from the Paris region were taken into custody on Tuesday morning.

    The loot, valued at around $102 million, hasn’t been recovered. It includes a diamond-and-emerald necklace Napoleon gave to Empress Marie-Louise, jewels tied to 19th-century Queens Marie-Amélie and Hortense, and Empress Eugénie’s pearl-and-diamond tiara.

    This is a breaking news story and will be updated.

    Video below shows Louvre thieves escaping via truck-mounted lift

    [ad_2]

    Source link

  • What to know about the 4 suspects in the Louvre crown jewels heist

    [ad_1]

    PARIS — Four suspects in the Louvre heist have been handed preliminary charges and incarcerated, including three believed to be members of the team who forced its way into the museum, leaving with $102 million worth crown jewels.

    Paris prosecutor Laure Beccuau noted the apparent “closeness” of the suspects. Two of them were convicted in 2015 in the same theft case and all are based in Paris’ northern suburbs.

    Authorities said the jewelry has not been recovered and the fourth member of the so-called “commando” is still at large. Interior Minister Laurent Nuñez said investigators are also looking for whoever might have ordered the crime.

    Neither names nor extensive biographical details have been made public, in line with French law that provides that information about investigations is meant to be secret, in part to avoid compromising police work.

    Here’s what to know so far about the suspects:

    Man aged 34 arrested at Paris airport

    A 34-year-old Algerian national who has been living in France since 2010 is suspected of being one of the two thieves who entered the Apollo Gallery with disc cutters to cut into the display cases and steal the jewels.

    He was arrested on Oct. 25, six days after the heist, at Charles de Gaulle airport as he was about to fly to Algeria with no return ticket.

    The Algerian national lives in a suburb north of Paris named Aubervilliers and is known to police mostly for road traffic offenses and one theft. His DNA matched a scooter used in the getaway.

    He told investigators he currently has no job but used to work as a garbage collector and delivery man. He faces preliminary charges of theft by an organized gang and criminal conspiracy.

    Another suspect believed to have entered the Apollo Gallery

    A 39-year-old-man was also arrested on Oct. 25 at his home in Aubervilliers, where he was born. He is believed to be the second man who entered the Apollo Gallery. His DNA was found on one of the glass cases where the jewels were displayed and on items the thieves left behind.

    He is known to police for several thefts.

    The 39-year-old is to go on trial later this month for damaging a mirror and the door of the prison cell he was being detained in as part of a separate theft investigation, in which he was later cleared. He told investigators he works as a taxi driver operating illegally.

    He faces preliminary charges of theft by an organized gang and criminal conspiracy.

    Beccuau said both men gave “minimalist” statements and “partially admitted” their involvement in the Louvre heist.

    A 37-year-old man with a record of theft

    A 37-year-old man was arrested on Wednesday, 10 days after the heist.

    He is believed to be the third member of the team of four who arrived at the Louvre with a lift truck, simulating renovation work to stop the vehicle at the foot of the museum. The four left on two scooters headed toward eastern Paris.

    His DNA was found inside the basket lift.

    The Paris prosecutor said he denied involvement.

    His criminal record contains 11 previous convictions, 10 of them for theft. He was convicted in 2015 in Paris in the same theft case as the 39-year-old suspect.

    He faces preliminary charges of theft by an organized gang and criminal conspiracy.

    A 38-year-old woman accused of being an accomplice

    A 38-year-old woman arrested Wednesday is the longtime partner of the 37-year-old suspect. They have children together. The couple lives in La Courneuve, another northern suburb of Paris close to Aubervilliers.

    The woman denied any involvement, her lawyer said.

    A small amount of her DNA was found on the basket lift which could possibly be due to “DNA transfer” according to the Paris prosecutor – that is DNA she may have left on someone or on some item that later transferred on the basket lift.

    She faces preliminary charges of complicity in theft by an organized gang and criminal conspiracy.

    The video in the player above is from a previous report.

    Copyright © 2025 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

    [ad_2]

    AP

    Source link