ReportWire

Tag: Iran nuclear program

  • Satellite photos show activity at Iran nuclear site after US bombing

    [ad_1]

    New Satellite photos reveal that Iran has begun removing critical cooling equipment from its Natanz uranium enrichment facility after U.S. airstrikes in late June damaged the site’s power systems and forced operations offline.

    The images, posted on X by David Albright of the Institute for Science and International Security, a Washington think tank, show the relocation of nearly two dozen large chillers once used to regulate centrifuge operations.

    Newsweek has reached out the U.S. State Department and Iran’s Foreign Ministry for comment.

    Why It Matters

    The dispersal of equipment underscores Iran’s immediate effort to shield its nuclear program from further attacks. The U.S. strikes—carried out at the end of the 12-day Iran–Israel war—were hailed by President Donald Trump as a “spectacular military success,” although U.S. intelligence later said the bombing would set back Iran’s program by up to two years, rather than indefinitely.

    With Natanz still without external power and centrifuges idle, the relocation of chillers signals Tehran’s determination to preserve enrichment capability, a step that could harden its bargaining position and increase the risk of renewed confrontation across the Middle East.

    In this image made from April 17, 2021, video released by the Islamic Republic Iran Broadcasting, IRIB, state-run TV, various centrifuge machines line the hall damaged on Sunday, April 11, 2021, at the Natanz Uranium…


    IRIB/AP Photo

    What To Know

    Albright’s satellite imagery showed that 19 of the 24 chillers previously housed in two heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) buildings at Natanz had been moved to locations across the site—including helicopter pads and near water facilities—to make them harder to target.

    He wrote: “The removal and dispersal appears to be a tactic to make the chillers less vulnerable to future aerial bombardment.”

    Albright said Natanz still lacked external power and centrifuge cascades remained offline. He interpreted the chiller relocation as a clear move by Iran to protect essential hardware during the downtime and amid anticipated threats.

    Scope of U.S. Bombing

    The U.S. bombing campaign struck three nuclear sites: Natanz, Fordow, and Isfahan. While imagery confirmed significant surface destruction, particularly at Natanz, U.S. intelligence assessments circulated after the fact determined that underground sections of the Fordow site had not been destroyed.

    The Pentagon concluded that Iran’s nuclear program was set back by several months, but not eliminated, contradicting Trump’s assertion that the program had been “obliterated.”

    Mission details of a strike on Iran
    Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Air Force Gen. Dan Caine discusses the mission details of a strike on Iran during a news conference at the Pentagon on June 22, 2025 in Arlington, Virginia….


    Andrew Harnik/Getty Images

    Diplomatic Reactions

    Tehran has sought to counter pressure internationally. Alongside Russia and China, Iran issued a joint letter denouncing European efforts to reimpose United Nations snapback sanctions. On X, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi described the European move as illegal and politically destructive, emphasizing that the U.S. was the first to breach the 2015 nuclear deal (JCPOA) under Trump.

    Urainum Enrichment

    Iran has long exceeded the uranium production limits set under the JCPOA, citing Trump’s withdrawal from the agreement as justification, while maintaining that its nuclear program is intended solely for civilian purposes.

    With the deal set to expire in October, the snapback mechanism could reinstate sanctions that had been lifted. Following the U.S. and Israeli strikes on Iran’s nuclear sites in mid-June, Iran and Britain, France and Germany (E3) held talks in Geneva aimed at a new agreement, but the E3 concluded that Iran had not shown sufficient readiness to reach a deal.

    What People Are Saying

    David Albright, president of the Institute for Science and International Security: “The movement of this equipment shows Iran appears worried about a new attack destroying even more centrifuge–related equipment.”

    Abbas Araghchi, Iran’s Foreign Minister: “Our joint letter with my colleagues, the foreign ministers of China and Russia, signed in Tianjin, reflects the firm position that the European attempt to invoke snapback is legally baseless and politically destructive”

    What Happens Next

    Natanz remains without power, centrifuges are inactive, and chillers essential to enrichment have been scattered across the facility. Whether the U.S. or Israel decides to strike again will determine if Iran can reconstitute its nuclear program or if the latest confrontation escalates into a broader conflict.

    [ad_2]

    Source link

  • Iran’s supreme leader speaks out on Donald Trump

    [ad_1]

    Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has said President Donald Trump has laid bare Washington’s true goal toward Iran—submission.

    “The man who is now in office in the U.S. wants Iran to be obedient to the US,” Khamenei said on his official X account, signaling Tehran has no intention of backing down even as U.S. and European powers threaten fresh sanctions.

    Newsweek has reached out to the White House for comment.

    Why It Matters

    Iran is locked in a high-stakes standoff with the U.S. and Western powers over the future of its nuclear enrichment program. Tensions soared and diplomacy stalled following U.S. and Israeli airstrikes on Iranian nuclear sites in June, with Trump threatening further attacks if Iran does not change course.

    Tehran says its military is at a high state of readiness amid concerns over more attacks under a fragile ceasefire with Israel

    In this photo released by the official website of the Supreme Leader’s Office on Thursday, June 26, 2025, Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei appears among his supporters for the first time since the Iran-Israel…


    Office of the Supreme Leader of Iran/Getty Images

    What To Know

    Khamanei said Trump’s statements and actions were part of a U.S. effort to subdue Iran, calling them “a grave insult” to the nation, and vowed that Iran “will stand with all its might against anyone who has such a wrongful expectation,” he said on Sunday.

    Khamenei dismissed calls for direct talks with Washington as naive, arguing that they ignore the deeper conflict. “This is not a matter that can be resolved.”

    The Trump administration has targeted Iranian oil firms and vessels, tightening the economic noose with sanctions before and after the nuclear talks—ultimately derailed by Israeli strikes on Iran and the subsequent U.S. bombing of its key nuclear facilities.

    Khamenei further accused the U.S. of backing Israel against Iran, prompting Tehran’s retaliatory strikes. He called for concrete measures against Israel’s “crimes” toward Palestinians, praising the Yemen-based Houthi militant group, whom Tehran supports, as a model of resistance.

    What People Are Saying

    Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei said in a public address on August 24: “The gentleman currently in power in America has revealed their true objective. He said their confrontation with Iran is because they want Iran to obey America’s commands, meaning, in reality, they want the Iranian nation and the Islamic Republic system to submit to their commands. […] The Iranian nation feels deeply offended by such a grave insult, and it will stand with all its might against anyone who has such a wrongful expectation of it.

    President Donald Trump wrote on Truth Social on August 7: “Now that the nuclear arsenal being ‘created’ by Iran has been totally OBLITERATED, it is very important to me that all Middle Eastern Countries join the Abraham Accords. This will insure PEACE IN THE MIDDLE EAST.”

    What Happens Next

    Iran could face new sanctions under a “snapback mechanism” that European powers have threatened to trigger by the end of the month if no progress is made in nuclear negotiations.

    [ad_2]

    Source link

  • Iran has even more uranium a quick step from weapons-grade, U.N. says

    Iran has even more uranium a quick step from weapons-grade, U.N. says

    [ad_1]

    Vienna — Iran has further increased its stockpile of uranium enriched to near weapons-grade levels, according to a confidential report on Monday by the United Nations’ nuclear watchdog, the latest in Tehran’s attempts to steadily exert pressure on the international community.

    Iran is seeking to have economic sanctions imposed over the country’s controversial nuclear program lifted in exchange for slowing the program down. The program – as all matters of state in Iran – are under the guidance of Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and that likely won’t change in the wake of last week’s helicopter crash that killed Iran’s president and foreign minister.

    The report by the International Atomic Energy Agency also comes against the backdrop of heightened tensions in the wider Middle East over the ongoing Israel-Hamas war. Israel and Iran have carried out direct strikes on each other’s territory for the first time last month.

    The report, seen by several news agencies, said that as of May 11, Iran has 142.1 kilograms (313.2 pounds) of uranium enriched up to 60% – an increase of 20.6 kilograms (45.4 pounds) since the last report by the U.N. watchdog in February. Uranium enriched at 60% purity is just a short, technical step away from weapons-grade levels of 90%.

    By IAEA’s definition, around 42 kilograms (92.5 pounds) of uranium enriched to 60% is the amount at which creating one atomic weapon is theoretically possible – if the material is enriched further, to 90%.

    Also as of May 11, the report says Iran’s overall stockpile of enriched uranium stands at 6,201.3 kilograms (1,3671.5 pounds), which represents an increase of 675.8 kilograms (1,489.8 pounds) since the IAEA’s previous report.

    Iran has maintained its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes only, but the IAEA chief, Rafael Mariano Grossi, has previously warned that Tehran has enough uranium enriched to near-weapons-grade levels to make “several” nuclear bombs if it chose to do so. He has acknowledged the U.N. agency cannot guarantee that none of Iran’s centrifuges may have been peeled away for clandestine enrichment.

    Iran’s continuing lack of transparency on its nuclear program

    Tensions have grown between Iran and the IAEA since 2018, when then-President Donald Trump unilaterally withdrew the United States from Tehran’s nuclear deal with world powers. Since then, Iran has abandoned all limits the deal put on its program and quickly stepped up enrichment.

    Under the original nuclear deal, struck in 2015, Iran was allowed to enrich uranium only up to 3.67% purity, maintain a stockpile of about 300 kilograms and use only very basic IR-1 centrifuges – machines that spin uranium gas at high speed for enrichment purposes.

    The 2015 deal saw Tehran agree to limit enrichment of uranium to levels necessary for generating nuclear power in exchange for the lifting of economic sanctions. At the time, U.N. inspectors were tasked with monitoring the program.

    Monday’s report also said Tehran hasn’t reconsidered its September 2023 decision to bar IAEA inspectors from further monitoring its nuclear program and added that it expects Iran “to do so in the context of the ongoing consultations between the (IAEA) agency and Iran.”

    According to the report, Grossi “deeply regrets” Iran’s decision to bar inspectors – and a reversal of that decision “remains essential to fully allow the agency to conduct its verification activities in Iran effectively.”

    The deaths of Iran’s President Ebrahim Raisi and Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian have triggered a pause in the IAEA’s talks with Tehran over improving cooperation, the report acknowledged.

    Before the May 19 helicopter crash, Iran had agreed to hold technical negotiations with IAEA on May 20, following a visit by Grossi earlier in the month. But those meetings fell apart due to the crash. Iran then sent a letter on May 21 saying its nuclear team wants to continue discussions in Tehran “on an appropriate date that will be mutually agreed upon,” the report said.

    Iran Nuclear Analysis
    The head of Iran’s atomic energy department, Mohammad Eslami, waves to media at the conclusion of his joint press conference with International Atomic Energy Organization (IAEA) Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi, also seen here, after their meeting in the central city of Isfahan, Iran, on May 7, 2024. 

    Vahid Salemi / AP


    The report also said Iran still hasn’t provided answers to the IAEA’s years-long investigation about the origin and current location of manmade uranium particles found at two locations that Tehran has failed to declare as potential nuclear sites, Varamin and Turquzabad.

    It said the IAEA’s request needs to be resolved, or the the agency “will not be able to confirm the correctness an completeness of Iran’s declarations” under a safeguards agreement between Tehran and the nuclear watchdog.

    The report also said there was no progress so far in reinstalling more monitoring equipment, including cameras, removed in June 2022. Since then, the only recorded data is that of IAEA cameras installed at a centrifuge workshop in the city of Isfahan in May 2023 – although Iran hasn’t provided the IAEA with access to this data.

    The IAEA said that on May 21, IAEA inspectors, after a delay in April, “successfully serviced the cameras at the workshops in Isfahan and the data they had collected since late December 2023 were placed under separate Agency seals and Iranians seals at the locations.”

    [ad_2]

    Source link