ReportWire

Tag: child fentanyl deaths

  • In rare exchange, Santa Clara County child welfare leaders endure epic takedown from Supervisor Arenas

    In rare exchange, Santa Clara County child welfare leaders endure epic takedown from Supervisor Arenas

    [ad_1]

    SAN JOSE — Santa Clara County Supervisor Sylvia Arenas had had enough.

    She listened quietly during Tuesday’s board meeting as leaders of the county’s child welfare agency breezed through a slide show about the progress they’ve made trying to reform the agency since last year’s fentanyl overdose death of baby Phoenix Castro, a 3-month-old they’d refused to remove from her drug abusing father.

    She waited for Damion Wright, the head of the Department of Family and Children’s Services, to mention a damning new report from the California Department of Social Services — a follow up to a similarly scathing report a year ago — that spelled out how the state was still “deeply concerned about the risks to child safety.”

    Wright never mentioned it. So Arenas, who’d spent her career working in child dependency court before joining the board in 2023, delivered a blistering 20-minute takedown, demanding accountability from Wright, his boss Dan Little — who now leads the county’s Department of Social Services — and his boss, County Executive James Williams. Their leadership and policies left children in dangerous homes, Arenas said, and she demanded to know what they’re doing to change that.

    “I do want an answer. Damion? Dan? What are you doing? James, what are you doing?” she asked from the dais, looking down on Wright and Little who slouched in their seats. “How are we mitigating the impacts of this extreme ‘family preservation’ framework that put our children at risk? That created a death in our community? That continues to impact Brown and Black children? What is it that you’re doing?”

    When Little started to respond that he would answer the same way he did during a board meeting nine months ago, Arenas interrupted.

    “I would really appreciate for you to say something slightly different than you did in December,” she said. “It was really disappointing.”

    The tense interchange between an elected supervisor and hired staff during a public meeting was extraordinary, with Arenas’ voice nearly trembling with anger at times, and her three targets shrinking in awkward silences. Board of Supervisors meetings are usually staid affairs that often seem interminable to members of the public who might show up to listen. If there is disagreement, it is usually wrapped in polite platitudes that ends in thank yous.

    But Arenas upended those norms Tuesday.

    The meeting came nearly a year after the Mercury News revealed how the county’s family preservation policies — championed by Dan Little in 2021 — appeared to trump child safety in Baby Phoenix’s death, despite red flags raised by social workers. This news organization also uncovered the original state report from February 2023 that found the County Counsel’s office often overrode decisions by social workers to remove children from unsafe homes. Little had kept that state report secret from the board of supervisors until the night before this paper was set to publish it.

    After neither Little nor Wright mentioned the second state report from July in their presentation, Arenas made it clear Tuesday she had little confidence in the agency’s leadership, transparency or commitment to child safety above all else.

    That July state report criticized the county agency for failing to follow up on whether families who were able to keep their children after reports of abuse or neglect were actually completing the voluntary county programs intended to improve their parenting. From July 2022 through March 2024, state investigators found that safety plans were not developed or monitored in 55 percent of cases where there were safety concerns in the home. No formal protocols were in place for social workers to follow when families didn’t follow through on their parenting programs, and there were no formal processes to assess whether a temporary caregiver was appropriate.

    After Little told Arenas that “we want to make sure that every decision we make for every child is the right decision for that child,” she interrupted again.

    “But it wasn’t, Dan. So I’m asking you, what are you doing in order to correct your leadership, to make sure that the systems don’t fall back where they were, that created, that compromised, the well being of our children?”

    When Little tried to answer, saying they’re following “policies and practices,” she cut him off.

    “I’m asking you to be accountable,” she said.

    “You were in charge, Dan. How about acknowledging that to our community? How about acknowledging that we made a mistake in our system? Are you going to apologize to each and every child that you put at risk that didn’t have a safety plan?”

    The board meeting was livestreamed and recorded. Alex Lesniak, a county social worker and union steward, watched it twice Wednesday.

    “I literally cried, in a positive way, because it’s like somebody finally gets it and sees what we have all been trying to flag, before Phoenix’s death,” Lesniak said. “Someone is actually asking those people who made those choices and implemented those policies to account for what they are going to do differently so this never happens again.”

    The board of supervisors has the power to remove Williams. There seems to be little interest among the rest of the 5-member board, however, to do so. Only Williams has the authority to fire Little or Wright — another possibility that appears to have little traction.

    Nonetheless, Arenas — with the support of the board — demanded in a motion that Wright and Little write a “personal reflection” on their leadership, how it failed vulnerable children, and what they are doing to improve it.

    “I really want this to be your own personal reflection about your own role in this fiasco that we’re in right now,” she said.

    She became especially animated when she brought up the state report from July, asking why neither Little nor Wright mentioned it. No answer came for a deadly 10 seconds. Williams finally piped up, agreeing that “it would make sense” to add the state’s findings and recommendations to the agency’s work plan going forward.

    Arenas fired back.

    “The system works as well as the people who run it,” Arenas said. “And sometimes we have to ask a question whether we have the right people on the bus to actually carry out the work.”

    [ad_2]

    Julia Prodis Sulek

    Source link

  • Baby Phoenix hearing: Defense lawyer, coroner spar over whether suffocation, not fentanyl overdose, caused infant’s death

    Baby Phoenix hearing: Defense lawyer, coroner spar over whether suffocation, not fentanyl overdose, caused infant’s death

    [ad_1]

    SAN JOSE — A defense lawyer suggested in court Wednesday that David Castro’s infant daughter Phoenix died of accidental smothering while sleeping on the couch with her father, not from a fentanyl overdose.

    But a Santa Clara County coroner who conducted the autopsy and found methamphetamine and fentanyl in the 3-month-old baby’s system vehemently disagreed.

    “There is no indication of suffocation in this case,” Dr. Mehdi Koolaee testified during the second day of Castro’s preliminary hearing. “This is a drug death.”

    The coroner also testified that he believed the baby died roughly 24 to 36 hours before she was rushed to the hospital the morning of May 13, 2023. That puzzling revelation is at odds with the story Castro told a detective: that he fell asleep on the couch with the baby on his chest the night before while watching a movie, and he didn’t notice anything wrong with her until the next morning when she was cold to the touch.

    The death last spring of baby Phoenix Castro, whose two older siblings were removed from their parents’ custody a year earlier because of severe neglect, led to calls in recent months for an overhaul of the county’s child welfare agency that sent Phoenix home with her father, who had a history of drug use.

    It also led to Castro’s arrest on felony child endangerment and other enhancements that could land him in prison for up to 10 years if found guilty.

    Castro’s preliminary hearing is scheduled to end Thursday and will determine whether there is enough evidence to send the case to trial.

    The charges against Castro are less severe than the murder charges against the parents of three other Bay Area infants and toddlers who have died of fentanyl poisoning since 2020.

    While cross examining the coroner Wednesday, defense lawyer Mishya Singh pointed out that the baby died face down because blood had “pooled” there, making her face dark red. Although Koolaee agreed the baby died face down, he reiterated that “in my opinion, unsafe sleeping has nothing to do with this death.”

    The defense lawyer also pointed out that the amount of methamphetamine and fentanyl in the baby’s blood stream was “low” and that she could have developed a tolerance for it because she was born with both in her system — opening the door to a different cause of death. She also said that because the blood tested by the lab was from the heart instead of the limbs, the concentration of drugs there could appear higher than they were when the baby died, another indication that something else could have been an overriding factor in her death, she said.

    “Would it be fair to say your finding should have been ‘undetermined’ rather than drug poisoning?” Singh asked.

    “No,” the coroner said.

    “Would that mean you would have to admit you were wrong?” she asked.

    “There is no reason to change it,” Koolaee said. “Everything is not supporting any asphyxial or suffocating. This is a drug death.”

    “If other medical examiners disagreed, would you still stick to your finding?” she asked.

    “Absolutely.”

    Four other medical examiners in the Santa Clara County Coroner’s Office agreed with his determination, he said.

    San Jose Police Det. Mike Harrington also testified Wednesday, and explained his conversation with Castro when he arrived that May morning. Castro told him that he had fallen asleep the night before watching a movie. He woke up the next morning, smoked a cigarette, had some breakfast and made a bottle of formula for the baby. It wasn’t until he began to change her diaper the next morning that “he realized something was not right with Phoenix,” Harrington testified. “She wasn’t warm like she normally is.”

    Castro told him that “he wasn’t really sure what to do,” and about 20 minutes passed until a friend showed up unannounced and told him to call 911, which he did. The baby’s mother and maternal grandmother coincidentally showed up a few minutes after that.

    Castro said he was living alone with his daughter while the baby’s mother was in a drug and mental health treatment center.

    Castro told the detective that he had stopped using drugs about two months before Phoenix was born.

    Earlier Wednesday, San Jose Police crime scene investigator Ian Carabarin testified that he found drug paraphernalia, including glass pipes and burned tinfoil, in a box on top of the refrigerator, drugs in a black bag in a kitchen cabinet and a tar-like substance that looked like heroin in a yellow Lego box in the dining room.

    “You didn’t find drugs laying out in plain view?” Singh asked.

    “Correct,” he said.

    Carabarin also acknowledged that he couldn’t say whose drugs they were for certain or the last time they had been used.

    [ad_2]

    Julia Prodis Sulek

    Source link