ReportWire

Tag: assailant

  • To find masked mob members who attacked UCLA camp, police using Jan. 6 tactics

    To find masked mob members who attacked UCLA camp, police using Jan. 6 tactics

    [ad_1]

    It is shaping up to be perhaps the biggest case in the history of the UCLA Police Department: how to identify dozens of people who attacked a pro-Palestinian camp at the center of campus last week.

    The mob violence was captured on live television, but it took three hours for police to bring it to an end. Those involved left, and no arrests were made.

    But the trail is not cold.

    UCLA detectives are now scanning hundreds of images in an attempt to identify the attackers. They intend to use technology that captures facial images and compares them to other photos on the internet and social media to put names to faces, according to law enforcement sources.

    The same technology has allowed police to identify suspects in smash-and-grab retail burglaries. It also was the heart of the Jan. 6 investigation, in which videos of those storming the U.S. Capitol helped the FBI identify many of the assailants and led federal prosecutors to charge more than 1,300 people. In those cases, investigators often were able to find social media images of the assailant wearing the same clothing as during the attack.

    “Technology has made the entire community into the eyes of law enforcement,” said retired Los Angeles police Capt. Paul Vernon, who led an effort after a mini-riot following the Lakers’ NBA championship victory in 2010 that resulted in dozens of arrests based on videos, social media posts and security footage. “Photo recognition has gotten a lot easier.”

    Vernon said an investigator also could gather cellphone data from the immediate area to prove an individual was there at the time of the incident. In some cases, assailants may have posted to their social media accounts, essentially bragging about their actions. Officers wearing body cameras may have also captured some of the behavior, he said.

    The attackers likely came in vehicles, so UCLA police will be examining data from license plate readers for movements near campus on May 1. Security cameras on streets neighboring the campus where they likely parked could yield more clues.

    Along with continuing protests, finding those who attacked the camp will be a major challenge for newly installed UCLA Associate Vice Chancellor Rick Braziel, a former Sacramento police chief. Braziel will be tasked with bringing to justice those responsible for what Chancellor Gene Block called a “dark chapter in our campus history.”

    On Monday night, Block outlined actions the school is taking in the aftermath of last week’s violence. University police will work with the Los Angeles Police Department and the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office to identify and prosecute the assailants “to the fullest extent of the law,” he said. The university “also connected with the FBI about possible assistance,” Block said in a statement.

    Despite the technology, the probe faces hurdles. Some of the attackers wore masks, making it harder to identify them. In those instances, detectives will look for a moment before or after the attack when the perpetrators’ faces were revealed, an official who was not authorized to discuss the investigation told The Times.

    There is also deep anger among some protesters in the camp because it took so long for police to stop the attack. That distrust could take a toll. Many of the students who were injured, some of whom were hospitalized with their wounds, have gone to groups such as the Council on American-Islamic Relations for Southern California but haven’t spoken with campus police.

    UCLA is a small police department, so it is reaching out to other agencies and private entities to access the technology needed in the investigation, law enforcement sources said. But so far, UCLA hasn’t made a public appeal seeking information on specific suspects.

    In the wake of the Jan. 6 attack, the FBI made arrests based on information from relatives, work colleagues, teammates, former friends and ex-significant others after the FBI released photos of suspects. An army of web sleuths and politically knowledgeable social media watchers known as “sedition hunters” also dedicated themselves to identifying the mob and turning their names over to the FBI.

    Images from the UCLA attack are springing up on Instagram. In one case, a man can be seen using a plank to hit a pro-Palestinian protester and then punching and kicking others. Dressed in a black sweatshirt, white sweatpants and a black cap, his bearded face is not hidden. Police can use that image to track him down or ask for help identifying him.

    “Holding the instigators of this attack accountable and enhancing our campus safety operations are both critical,” Block said. “Our community members can only learn, work and thrive in an environment where they feel secure.”

    [ad_2]

    Richard Winton

    Source link

  • Suspect is arrested in attack on grandfather pushing grandchild in stroller

    Suspect is arrested in attack on grandfather pushing grandchild in stroller

    [ad_1]

    A man suspected of attacking two victims, including a man who was punched while pushing his grandchild in a stroller, was arrested Wednesday, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

    Angel Sanchez Jr., 29, of Santa Barbara, was arrested in Oxnard about 2:15 p.m., the sheriff’s department announced in a news release. Sanchez was booked on suspicion of assault with force likely to produce great bodily injury.

    Sheriff’s officials received calls about 4:30 p.m. Tuesday about two separate unprovoked attacks. The first victim was a boy and the second a 60-year-old grandfather who was punched in the face while pushing a stroller near the 26000 block of Agoura Road and Lost Springs Drive/Cottonwood Grove Trail, authorities said.

    Both victims were Asian American/Pacific Islander, but authorities have not determined if they were the victims of a hate crime and the motive remains under investigation.

    In a video from news station KTLA-TV, the assailant can be seen walking directly toward the victim while he was pushing a stroller. The victim is then punched in the face and he and the stroller fall to the ground, according to the video. Authorities did not release any details about the victims’ condition following the attack.

    The assailant, who is seen wearing a backward baseball hat and a dark T-shirt, quickly walked away from the victims after the attack.

    He then drove away in a silver 2005 Honda Odyssey with Nevada license plates, 183W80, authorities said.

    Sanchez could face additional charges when the case is presented to the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office for filing, said the sheriff’s department.

    Anyone with information about the assault can contact the Malibu/Lost Hills Sheriff’s Station at (818) 878-1808 or the detective on the case at (818) 878-5523.

    [ad_2]

    Nathan Solis

    Source link

  • Los Angeles police searching for assailant in three fatal shootings of homeless people

    Los Angeles police searching for assailant in three fatal shootings of homeless people

    [ad_1]

    Los Angeles police have launched a search for a killer suspected of fatally shooting three homeless people in separate incidents around the city, police officials announced Friday.

    All three killings occurred in the early morning hours over a three-day span in November, Police Chief Michel Moore said at an afternoon news conference at police headquarters downtown, where he was joined by Dist. Atty. George Gascón and Mayor Karen Bass.

    “This is a killer preying on the unhoused,” Bass said.

    The first victim was shot about 3:10 am. on Nov. 26 in an alley near the intersection of 110th Street and Vermont Avenue in South L.A., police said. The man, identified by police as Jose Bolanos, 37, was found dead with a gunshot wound.

    The following day, Mark Diggs, 62, was shot and killed about 4:45 a.m. in the 600 block of Mateo Street. Moore said Diggs was pushing a shopping cart and had stopped to plug in his phone and was about to go to sleep when the assailant approached him and shot him.

    The third shooting occurred on Nov. 29 about 2:30 a.m. near the intersection of Avenue 18 and Pasadena Avenue in the Lincoln Heights area, where the body of a 52-year-old adult Latino man was discovered.

    Los Angeles police are seeking help to find a suspect and a vehicle possibly involved in the death of three people.

    (Image courtesy of the Los Angeles Police Department)

    Police did not identify the victim pending notification of his family.

    Moore said in all three instances the victims were alone and out in the open.

    “Each one was shot and killed as they slept” or were preparing to turn in for the night, Moore said.

    Moore said the department has set up a task force of investigators that is working 24/7 to apprehend the killer.

    Bass urged the city’s homeless residents not to sleep alone and to seek available services. She said homeless outreach workers have been informing those living on the street about the killings and the search for the killer.

    “To the person responsible for this, I say this: We will find you, we will catch you and you will be held accountable.”

    “An assault on one of us is an assault on all of us,” Gascón said.

    Times staff writer Richard Winton contributed to this report.

    [ad_2]

    Ruben Vives

    Source link