ReportWire

Tag: APP Crime

  • Boyfriend charged in death of 23-month-old Lakeland boy

    Boyfriend charged in death of 23-month-old Lakeland boy

    [ad_1]

    LAKELAND, Fla. — A 20-year-old Lakeland man is facing first degree murder and aggravated child abuse charges after a 23-month-old in his care was found “unresponsive, without a pulse and lying on the bathroom floor,” according to the Lakeland Police Department.

    Police Chief Sam Taylor said during a news conference Monday morning that Bobby Curry Jr. was babysitting while the boy’s mom was at work on March 5.

    According to Chief Taylor, Curry and the boy’s mom have been in a relationship for four months and he had been living with them for only two weeks.

    During Monday’s news conference, Taylor said Curry told police that he had just given Ezekiel Cotto-Saintfleur a bath when one of their dogs knocked the boy backward, causing him to hit the back of his head against the tub.

    However, Taylor said Curry’s story was inconsistent with Cotto-Saintfleur’s injuries, which occurred mainly to the front of his head.

    According to officials, Curry said Cotto-Saintfleur began having trouble breathing after he supposedly hit his head against the tub, so Curry placed the baby in his bed to rest.

    During that time, Curry was messaging with the boy’s mom on Instagram about his injuries and asking her what to do. At some point, Curry checked on the boy again and found him unresponsive. He then took the boy out of his bed and placed him on the bathroom floor again and began chest compressions, Taylor explained.

    Taylor said two and a half hours went by before Curry called 911 after the first signs of distress. However, there were over 60 Instagram messages between Curry and the boy’s mom during that time.

    Cotto-Saintfleur was transported to Tampa General Hospital, where he died three days later on March 8. His cause of death was determined to be blunt force trauma.

    Chief Taylor said during the news conference that he believes Curry became overwhelmed with babysitting a toddler, plus having two dogs and two ducks inside the home, and lost his temper.

    Taylor said Curry does not have a criminal history and urges people to ask for help before reaching that point of frustration.

    Taylor also said the baby’s mom is cooperating with law enforcement.

    [ad_2]

    Spectrum News Staff

    Source link

  • Palmetto city commission hears public concerns over man’s death

    Palmetto city commission hears public concerns over man’s death

    [ad_1]

    MANATEE COUNTY, Fla. — Palmetto city commissioners heard from about a dozen people at Monday night’s meeting calling for justice for Breonte Johnson-Davis.

    The 36-year-old Johnson-Davis died in police custody in November. He was shot with a taser multiple times.


    On Monday night, commissioners heard from speakers, including Johnson-Davis’s mother, about changes they want to see.

    Speakers also told commissioners Johnson-Davis’s death could’ve been prevented and that they’re frustrated with city officials’ response.

    Palmetto Police Chief Scott Tyler told reporters last week officers responded to reports of someone acting aggressively at a convenience store on Nov. 1.

    Tyler said Johnson-Davis ran onto a cruiser and kept acting aggressively, leading to officers shooting him with a taser.

    The chief said toxicology reports and an FDLE investigation found Johnson-Davis was on drugs and suffered a medical emergency.

    Johnson-Davis died in the hospital a day later.

    His death was ruled accidental, and FDLE found officers acted reasonably.

    Speakers at the meeting disagreed, saying this was a mental health call and officers used unnecessary force. 

    Johnson-Davis’s mother said she’s unhappy Palmetto’s mayor has been silent on her son’s death and she wants to see Tyler fired.

    “No matter what Breonte was going through, he did not deserve to die,” said Tracey Washington, Breonte Johnson-Davis’ mother. “He was not armed. He was not combative or aggressive. See, right now, the community is going on a narrative that the chief painted and we’re supposed to abide by that. Not me. Not his mother.”

    A number of speakers said they want to see Palmetto police adopt a program similar to St. Pete police’s “call program.”

    It stands for “community assistance and life liaison.”

    “The State Attorney’s office reviewed everything. Reviewed the medical examiner’s report, reviewed the toxicology reports,” said Tyler. “Reviewed the FDLE investigation and they have concluded that our officers acted reasonably, and their actions were justified that night. And they have concluded that our officers’ actions had nothing to do with his death.”

    Dispatchers will send social workers to some calls to improve responses to some situations, including those involving a mental health crisis.

    [ad_2]

    Spectrum News Staff

    Source link

  • Florida found to be 5th state with most scam losses in 2023

    Florida found to be 5th state with most scam losses in 2023

    [ad_1]

    In a recent survey of fraud and fraud-related losses across the country, Florida was ranked No. 5 in losses to scams in 2023.


    What You Need To Know

    • A recent survey found that Florida was fifth in the country for fraud losses in 2023
    • Of the $451.8 million lost, the average amount lost per fraud report was $1,567
    • Across the nation, consumers filed 1.8 million fraud reports within the first nine months of 2023, citing a loss of $7 billion
    • Investment-related and imposter frauds were are some of the most reported crimes

    LendingTree’s team found that Florida residents lost nearly $451.8 million to scams within the first nine months of 2023, or $20.88 per capita. They also reported Florida residents filled out 288,263 fraud reports, or 1,332 reports per 100,000 residents. The average amount lost per fraud report was $1,567.

    When looking at things on a bigger scale, Florida saw a 5.2% increase in fraud losses from 2022-2023, the survey found. Nationwide, consumers filed 1.8 million fraud reports within the first nine months of 2023, citing a loss of $7 billion.

    Of the scams reported, “investment-related fraud” accounted for $3.2 billion in losses, and represented nearly 4.2% of fraud reports over the same period.

    “Imposter scams” on the other hand, accounted for 33.5% of fraud reports. “Social media scams” were found to be the fifth-most commonly reported contact method, which caused victims to lose $1 billion, the highest amount by contact method.

    [ad_2]

    Reina Nieves

    Source link

  • K-9 hurt in shootout that left Silver Springs man dead, says sheriff’s office

    K-9 hurt in shootout that left Silver Springs man dead, says sheriff’s office

    [ad_1]

    SILVER SPRINGS, Fla. — A Marion County Sheriff’s Office K-9 is being treated for injuries sustained during a deadly shootout Saturday.

    The incident happened around 9 a.m. in Silver Springs, where the sheriff’s office says deputies were responding to a situation involving a man accused of battery by strangulation.

    The sheriff’s office says when the man was located, he shot at deputies, hurting police K-9 Leo.

    The man was shot during return fire by deputies and later pronounced dead at a hospital.

    He was identified Sunday as Jeremy Bradsher by the Marion County Sheriff’s Office.

    As of Sunday, the police K-9 is still being treated at UF Veterinary Hospital, where the sheriff’s office says he is “stable with good vitals.”

    [ad_2]

    Spectrum News Staff

    Source link

  • Grand jury decides against charges in troopers’ shooting of 2

    Grand jury decides against charges in troopers’ shooting of 2

    [ad_1]

    DAYTON, Ohio — No charges will be filed in the shooting deaths of a man and woman in a gun battle with Ohio state troopers following a police pursuit and kidnapping last summer, authorities said.


    What You Need To Know

    • No charges will be filed in the shooting deaths of a man and woman in a gun battle with Ohio state troopers following a police pursuit and kidnapping last summer, authorities said
    • The Montgomery County prosecutor’s office said Friday that a grand jury reviewed the Aug. 2 shooting of Rodney Helman, 54, and Elaine Helman, 51, and concluded that “the troopers acted lawfully under the circumstances”
    • When Rodney Helman fired a handgun, three troopers returned fire, hitting both suspects, who both died at a hospital, authorities said
    • Prosecutors said both suspects had been shot once each

    The Montgomery County prosecutor’s office said Friday that a grand jury reviewed the Aug. 2 shooting of Rodney Helman, 54, and Elaine Helman, 51, and concluded that “the troopers acted lawfully under the circumstances.”

    Police began pursing their van after they gave false information at an early morning traffic stop in London, Ohio, and then drove away, officials said. They stopped at a truck stop on US 42 and fled on foot, then got into an unlocked tractor-trailer cab and drove off. The truck driver, who was still inside, was shot in the hand, authorities said.

    The Ohio State Highway Patrol and officers from other law enforcement agencies then chased the truck cab through several counties before the pursuit ended in Vandalia on Interstate 70 west, near the Dayton International Airport Access Road. Police then negotiated for about four hours before deciding to approach the vehicle, and when Rodney Helman fired a handgun, three troopers returned fire, hitting both suspects, who both died at a hospital, authorities said.

    Prosecutors said both suspects had been shot once each. The truck driver was treated for a wound to the hand. Prosecutors said Rodney Helman’s handgun was recovered and ballistics confirmed that it had been fired at least twice.

    [ad_2]

    Associated Press

    Source link

  • Vigil held in Polk County for victims of alleged murderer

    Vigil held in Polk County for victims of alleged murderer

    [ad_1]

    BARTOW, Fla. — Saturday, the Polk County community came together to remember Sierra Hernandez.


    What You Need To Know

    • People gathered at Mary Holland Park in Bartow to hold a candlelight vigil in the memory of Sierra Hernandez and Edil Fernando Rodriguez, Jr.
    • Both are alleged murder victims of Enrique “KiKi” Martinez, who was detained by the Polk County Sheriff’s Office in January
    • Martinez is facing a charge of first-degree murder in the death of Sierra Hernandez

    The 20-year-old’s remains were found in January after her family reported her missing.

    Arrest reports for others involved in the case suggest Sierra was tied up and tortured in a Winter Haven home before she died.

    People gathered at Mary Holland Park in Bartow to hold a candlelight vigil and release balloons in her memory.

    “This is something we’re going to have to deal with for the rest of our lives, but having the community stand up behind us as much as they have has definitely helped us get through this,” said Christopher Hernandez, who is Sierra’s father. “They’ve shown us so much love already.”

    Enrique “KiKi” Martinez, 26, is facing a charge of first-degree murder in the death of Sierra Hernandez.

    Martinez had been wanted for first-degree murder since November, when he allegedly killed a 33-year-old homeless man, Edil Fernando Rodriguez, Jr.

    Rodriguez Jr.’s life was also honored at the vigil on Saturday evening.

    [ad_2]

    Spectrum News Staff

    Source link

  • Pasco County Corrections looks to hire correctional officers

    Pasco County Corrections looks to hire correctional officers

    [ad_1]

    LAND O’ LAKES, Fla. — Pasco County is looking to hire staffers for a new jail that is expected to open later this year. Officials say the department is in need of corrections officers, but the job duties go well beyond that.


    What You Need To Know

    • Pasco County Corrections is looking to hire 50 certified correctional officers this year with the opening of a new jail
    • The position offers a number of incentives, like sponsoring officers in the academy to go to school full time, and different paths toward other specialties
    • Construction of the department’s new jail has already started, and the facility is expected to open later this year

    At Pasco County Corrections, Corrections Officer Nicole Kleber introduced herself to a few potential new recruits as the department held its first-ever career fair earlier this month.

    “Our main idea for this career fair is to fill the corrections officer spots here,” said Kleber. “We’re going to need a lot of officers to fill our new facility, so that’s what this is based on.”

    Kleber first joined the division 16 years ago by taking her first steps toward becoming a corrections officer — a job she says offers quite a few different paths toward other specialties.

    “I don’t think people realize how many specialty areas that we have in the jail and that we’re offering,” she said. “Especially with incentives if you get certified.”

    Those incentives include sponsoring officers in the academy to go to school full time.

    “There’s room and opportunity to grow,” Kleber said. “I can say that because I started out as a civilian.”

    Kleber said her initial interest was sparked thanks to a family member who worked in the department, which paved the way for her current position in inmate processing.

    “I didn’t have any expectations to stay here,” she said. “I actually wanted to go to school to be a firefighter. But when I started working here as a civilian, I realized these people are regular inmates, they make mistakes, and they’re just regular people.”

    And Kleber said it’s a job that doesn’t discriminate based on an applicant’s age.

    “Age is just a number. It doesn’t matter — it’s all how you carry yourself,” she said. “You run the same unit the same way, it does not matter how old you are.”

    She said it’s also a job that, in time, can lead to bigger and better opportunities, and a future for those hoping to be hired.

    “We want you to advance. We want you to be a superstar,” Kleber said. “Our hopes are if we invest in you, you’re going to grow with us and stay with us.”

    [ad_2]

    Calvin Lewis

    Source link

  • Hernando authorities: Suspicious death at Weeki Wachee home

    Hernando authorities: Suspicious death at Weeki Wachee home

    [ad_1]

    HERNANDO COUNTY, Fla. —  The Hernando County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a suspicious death in Weeki Wachee and have started a search for the victim’s significant other, who is missing.

    Deputies said after they responded to reports of a missing person, which later turned out to the victim, at a home on Darts Street Sunday afternoon. Deputies discovered the body of an adult female in one of the bedrooms.


    What You Need To Know

    • Hernando deputies: Woman found at Weeki Wachee home; significant other, victim’s car missing 
    • Deputies said there are suspicious circumstances surrounding the death
    • Authorities: Victim’s significant other, Shauna Urive, 23, and the victim’s vehicle, a 2005 silver Pontiac Grand Am are missing

    Family members told authorities that had not seen the woman in several days.

    In examining the home, deputies said they immediately noted suspicious circumstances surrounding the death and contacted Major Case detectives and Forensic specialists, who took over the investigation.

    An autopsy will be conducted to determine the victim’s cause of death.

    Meanwhile, the victim’s significant other, Shauna Urive, 23, and the victim’s vehicle, a 2005 silver Pontiac Grand Am with the Florida tag CG2VH are both missing, officials said.

    Authorities have not released any further information about the case.

    Anyone with information is asked to call the sheriff’s office or Hernando County Crime Stoppers at 1-866-990-TIPS (8477).

    You may also submit your tip via the internet at http://www.hernandocountycrimestoppers.com.

    You can remain anonymous and also be eligible for a reward up to $5,000 cash.

    [ad_2]

    Spectrum News Staff

    Source link