ReportWire

Tag: ambush attack

  • ‘Very serious retaliation’: U.S. strikes ISIS targets in Syria

    [ad_1]

    ‘Very serious retaliation’: U.S. strikes ISIS targets in Syria

    The Trump administration launched more than 70 strikes against ISIS targets in Syria on Friday, responding to an ambush attack that killed two U.S. troops and an American civilian interpreter last week.

    Updated: 6:44 AM PST Dec 20, 2025

    Editorial Standards

    The Trump administration struck more than 70 ISIS targets in Syria on Friday, according to the Pentagon, in retaliation for a deadly attack on U.S. and Syrian forces last week.On Friday evening, President Donald Trump told a crowd in North Carolina, “Just 2 hours ago, we hit the ISIS thugs in Syria who were trying to regroup after their decimation by the Trump administration 5 years ago. We hit them hard.”Trump further described the operation as successful and precise. In a social media post ahead of his speech, he called it a “very serious retaliation.” That sentiment was echoed by Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth, also known as the secretary of war, in another post. “This is not the beginning of a war — it is a declaration of vengeance,” Hegseth said. The strikes were in response to an ambush attack that killed two U.S. troops and an American civilian interpreter last weekend. The president blamed the attack on a member of the Islamic State, although the group has not claimed responsibility. Trump said the U.S. retaliation was fully supported by Syria’s new leader, who has overseen warming relations with the West since the fall of the Assad regime last year. Following the U.S. strikes, Syria’s foreign ministry reiterated its commitment to fighting ISIS and underscored the need to strengthen international cooperation to combat terrorism.In a recent national security strategy document, the Trump administration argued that the days in which the Middle East dominated American foreign policy are over. The administration has sought to build ties with countries like Syria, including in the counterterrorism space, but contends that the threats can be contained “without decades of fruitless ‘nation-building’ wars.” The Trump administration is instead looking to focus closer to home, shifting military resources away from the Middle East and towards South America, as tensions mount with Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro. Asked if the Trump administration would rule out regime change in Venezuela, State Department spokesperson Tommy Pigott said in an interview Friday, “The president has spoken about his concerns when it comes to the illegitimate regime in Venezuela, his concerns about the gangs we have seen come from Venezuela, the concerns about the narcotrafficking that we’ve also seen.”

    The Trump administration struck more than 70 ISIS targets in Syria on Friday, according to the Pentagon, in retaliation for a deadly attack on U.S. and Syrian forces last week.

    On Friday evening, President Donald Trump told a crowd in North Carolina, “Just 2 hours ago, we hit the ISIS thugs in Syria who were trying to regroup after their decimation by the Trump administration 5 years ago. We hit them hard.”

    Trump further described the operation as successful and precise. In a social media post ahead of his speech, he called it a “very serious retaliation.”

    That sentiment was echoed by Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth, also known as the secretary of war, in another post.

    “This is not the beginning of a war — it is a declaration of vengeance,” Hegseth said.

    The strikes were in response to an ambush attack that killed two U.S. troops and an American civilian interpreter last weekend. The president blamed the attack on a member of the Islamic State, although the group has not claimed responsibility.

    Trump said the U.S. retaliation was fully supported by Syria’s new leader, who has overseen warming relations with the West since the fall of the Assad regime last year.

    Following the U.S. strikes, Syria’s foreign ministry reiterated its commitment to fighting ISIS and underscored the need to strengthen international cooperation to combat terrorism.

    In a recent national security strategy document, the Trump administration argued that the days in which the Middle East dominated American foreign policy are over. The administration has sought to build ties with countries like Syria, including in the counterterrorism space, but contends that the threats can be contained “without decades of fruitless ‘nation-building’ wars.”

    The Trump administration is instead looking to focus closer to home, shifting military resources away from the Middle East and towards South America, as tensions mount with Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro.

    Asked if the Trump administration would rule out regime change in Venezuela, State Department spokesperson Tommy Pigott said in an interview Friday, “The president has spoken about his concerns when it comes to the illegitimate regime in Venezuela, his concerns about the gangs we have seen come from Venezuela, the concerns about the narcotrafficking that we’ve also seen.”

    [ad_2]

    Source link

  • Former MLB pitcher Dan Serafini wants new trial in Tahoe murder case claiming jury misconduct

    [ad_1]

    Former Major League Baseball pitcher Dan Serafini is back in court Tuesday, as he and his new lawyer, Barry Zimmerman, request a new trial following his July murder conviction.A Placer County jury convicted Serafini in July of shooting his in-laws in an ambush attack at their Tahoe home in June 2021. That attack left Gary Spohr, 70, dead, and critically injured Wendy Wood, 68. She died by suicide years later despite making a full recovery.Serafini, 51, has not been sentenced yet, and he asked for new counsel after the conviction. That sentencing has been delayed until the request for a new trial is heard.In court documents, Serafini has pointed to KCRA’s interview with three jurors days after they delivered their verdict. The documents claimed the interview demonstrated jury misconduct.Three jurors, including the jury foreperson, testified in Tuesday’s hearing about their decision-making process. Zimmerman questioned the jurors about their deliberations, particularly their use of screenshots from two security videos entered into evidence. The videos included footage from the Elko, Nevada, Red Lion lobby showing Serafini the day before the shootings, and a driveway surveillance video capturing the killer entering the victims’ home. The jurors explained they needed screenshots because they could not play the videos side by side for comparison.In the exclusive interview with KCRA 3 days after the verdict, jury foreperson Caryn Schroeder explained the process. “We looked at those videos over and over. We were taking stills. We were creating slides side by side,” Schroeder said. “We were really analyzing, could the person in this video match who we knew was Daniel Serafini from the Red Lion video?”Zimmerman also asked the jurors about the interview they did with KCRA 3 News after the conviction. Assistant Chief Deputy District Attorney Rick Miller also asked the jurors if they considered other evidence from the six-week-long trial. Schroeder emphasized their thoroughness on the stand. “We took it very seriously. We were very invested and spent a lot of time deliberating. It was a long trial. We made sure we were following the jury instructions,” she said. “We really deliberated a lot.”The attorneys will be back before the judge to continue presenting their arguments over a motion for a new trial on Oct. 20.The judge will take the motion under advisement and is expected to return a ruling Oct. 28, the same day as Serafini’s sentencing. KCRA 3’s Michelle Bandur is at the court proceedings and will have updates on air and online. Download our app for the latest alerts.See more coverage of top California stories here | Download our app | Subscribe to our morning newsletter | Find us on YouTube here and subscribe to our channel

    Former Major League Baseball pitcher Dan Serafini is back in court Tuesday, as he and his new lawyer, Barry Zimmerman, request a new trial following his July murder conviction.

    A Placer County jury convicted Serafini in July of shooting his in-laws in an ambush attack at their Tahoe home in June 2021. That attack left Gary Spohr, 70, dead, and critically injured Wendy Wood, 68. She died by suicide years later despite making a full recovery.

    Serafini, 51, has not been sentenced yet, and he asked for new counsel after the conviction. That sentencing has been delayed until the request for a new trial is heard.

    In court documents, Serafini has pointed to KCRA’s interview with three jurors days after they delivered their verdict. The documents claimed the interview demonstrated jury misconduct.

    Three jurors, including the jury foreperson, testified in Tuesday’s hearing about their decision-making process.

    Zimmerman questioned the jurors about their deliberations, particularly their use of screenshots from two security videos entered into evidence. The videos included footage from the Elko, Nevada, Red Lion lobby showing Serafini the day before the shootings, and a driveway surveillance video capturing the killer entering the victims’ home. The jurors explained they needed screenshots because they could not play the videos side by side for comparison.

    In the exclusive interview with KCRA 3 days after the verdict, jury foreperson Caryn Schroeder explained the process.

    “We looked at those videos over and over. We were taking stills. We were creating slides side by side,” Schroeder said. “We were really analyzing, could the person in this video match who we knew was Daniel Serafini from the Red Lion video?”

    Zimmerman also asked the jurors about the interview they did with KCRA 3 News after the conviction.

    Assistant Chief Deputy District Attorney Rick Miller also asked the jurors if they considered other evidence from the six-week-long trial. Schroeder emphasized their thoroughness on the stand.

    “We took it very seriously. We were very invested and spent a lot of time deliberating. It was a long trial. We made sure we were following the jury instructions,” she said. “We really deliberated a lot.”

    The attorneys will be back before the judge to continue presenting their arguments over a motion for a new trial on Oct. 20.

    The judge will take the motion under advisement and is expected to return a ruling Oct. 28, the same day as Serafini’s sentencing.

    See more coverage of top California stories here | Download our app | Subscribe to our morning newsletter | Find us on YouTube here and subscribe to our channel

    [ad_2]

    Source link