ReportWire

Tag: 210 Freeway

  • SoCal deputy dies after being shot by gunman who led police on high-speed motorcycle chase

    [ad_1]

    UPLAND, Calif. — A wild motorcycle chase ended in a violent crash on a Southern California freeway on Monday afternoon after the suspect tried to flee at extraordinary speeds following a sheriff’s deputy’s shooting death.

    Warning: Some viewers may find the video above disturbing or difficult to watch

    It all started when San Bernardino County Sheriff’s deputies reportedly responded to the area for a domestic violence call about an armed man threatening a woman in Rancho Cucamonga.

    The deputies were fired upon as soon as they arrived at the scene, the sheriff’s department said. Deputy Andrew Nunez suffered a single gunshot wound to the head.

    Nunez was rushed to the hospital and ultimately pronounced dead, the sheriff’s department confirmed.

    The suspect then hopped on a motorcycle and a high-speed police chase ensued on the 210 Freeway.

    After the suspect opened fire, he hopped on a motorcycle, sparking a high-speed chase that ended in a major crash on the 210 Freeway, officials confirmed.

    All eastbound lanes were shut down and a SigAlert was issued between Mountain and Campus avenues.

    AIR7 video from our sister station, ABC7 Eyewitness News in Los Angeles, showed traffic backed up for miles as the traffic was at a standstill during peak rush hour traffic at 3 p.m. local time.

    A wild motorcycle chase ended in a violent crash on the 210 Freeway in Ontario Monday afternoon.

    Traffic was being diverted off of Mountain Avenue. There is major police presence at the scene as the investigation is underway.

    The suspect appeared to pull out a gun and waved it as he was driving down the freeway at high speeds of 150 mph.

    The chase ended in Upland after an off-duty sheriff’s deputy conducted a “legal intervention” and hit the suspect’s motorcycle.

    Investigators were seen inspecting what appeared to be a gun on the 210 Freeway after the dramatic collision.

    Investigators inspect what appears to be a gun on the 210 Freeway in Ontario, where a chase ended in a violent crash on Monday, Oct. 27, 2025.

    During an afternoon press conference, Sheriff Shannon Dicus confirmed that an off-duty sheriff’s deputy conducted a “legal intervention” by striking the suspect on the motorcycle.

    That’s when the suspect was launched into the air and landed on the road.

    Officers quickly ran out of their patrol cars and rushed to handcuff him.

    The suspect was sitting up and conscious as authorities rendered aid. He was airlifted to an area hospital in stable condition.

    Authorities are working to forensically positively identify the suspect and are waiting to interview him.

    The suspect’s name was not immediately released.

    Video from the hospital Nunez was taken to shows law enforcement officers gathered outside the emergency room. An Eyewitness News crew at the scene also spotted what appeared to be family members arriving at the hospital.

    Sheriff Shannon Dicus said Nunez leaves behind a wife, a 2-year-old daughter, a mother and four brothers and sisters. His wife was also expecting, the sheriff said.

    Dicus said Nunez had been with the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department for six years and served the Rancho Cucamonga community for five years. He described Nunez as a “wonderful father” and “wonderful deputy sheriff.”

    California Governor Gavin Newsom issued a statement on the death of Deputy Nunez.

    “On behalf of all Californians, Jennifer and I extend our deepest condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of Deputy Nunez. His courage, compassion and dedication to protecting others reflect the finest traditions of law enforcement. We honor his life and service with gratitude; may his sacrifice never be forgotten.”

    Newsom’s office said flags at the State Capitol and Capitol Annex Swing Space will be flown at half-staff.

    Copyright © 2025 KABC Television, LLC. All rights reserved.

    [ad_2]

    KABC

    Source link

  • Woman dies after man jumps off Southern California freeway, lands on her vehicle

    Woman dies after man jumps off Southern California freeway, lands on her vehicle

    [ad_1]

    LOS ANGELES — A woman died earlier this month after a man jumped off a Southern California freeway and landed on the vehicle she was in.

    The Los Angeles Fire Department responded to reports of a person threatening to jump from the 210 Freeway Roxford overpass in the Sylmar area on the evening of Aug. 9.

    Margarita Novela Galindo was sitting in the passenger seat, next to her husband Florencio, heading out of town for the weekend. They were on the 210 Freeway when a man, in an effort to take his own life, jumped off a bridge over the freeway and went through their windshield.

    Florencio did not suffer any serious injuries and immediately called his son.

    “Once he told me ambulances were on the way and he pulled over to the side and couldn’t open the doors, that’s when I knew it was serious,” said David Galindo.

    Margarita was left in critical condition, remaining in the ICU for weeks. She died of her injuries on Wednesday, according to her family, leaving them overwhelmed with emotions.

    “What if she stopped to get gas? What if she stopped to get water? This probably wouldn’t have happened,” said David.

    “It could’ve just been two seconds off, two inches away, my mom would’ve been fine,” the victim’s daughter Stephanie Galindo said.

    For Florencio, there’s now a void that’ll never be filled.

    Margarita’s three adult children, who mostly called on their mom to help with the grandchildren, are now taking care of their dad.

    Amid the sadness and frustration, Florencio also has compassion for the man who killed the love of his life while taking his own.

    “He doesn’t know what problems he may have had to commit suicide, but he doesn’t have any resentment,” he said in Spanish.

    A GoFundMe has been created to help the family with funeral expenses.

    If you are experiencing suicidal, substance use or other mental health crises please call or text the new three digit code at 988. You will reach a trained crisis counselor for free, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can also go to 988lifeline.org or dial the current toll free number 800-273-8255 [TALK].

    Copyright © 2024 KABC Television, LLC. All rights reserved.

    [ad_2]

    KABC

    Source link