ReportWire

Tag: 15270304

  • Georgia school shooting latest: 14-year-old suspect charged with murder, father also charged

    Georgia school shooting latest: 14-year-old suspect charged with murder, father also charged

    [ad_1]

    WINDER, Ga. — The 14-year-old student accused of opening fire at Apalachee High School in Winder, Georgia, has been charged with four counts of felony murder, with additional charges expected, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation said Thursday,

    Two teachers and two students were killed in Wednesday morning’s shooting: math teacher and football coach Richard Aspinwall, 39; math teacher Christina Irimie, 53; and students Mason Schermerhorn, 14, and Christian Angulo, 14, officials said.

    Eight students and one teacher were injured, officials said. All of the injured victims are expected to recover, Barrow County Sheriff Jud Smith said.

    Richard Aspinwall, Christina Irimie, Mason Schermerhorn and Christian Angulo were all victims in the Apalachee High School shooting on September 4.

    Apalachee High School/Family Photo/GoFundMe via CNN Newsource

    The suspect, Colt Gray, surrendered at the scene to the school resource officers and was taken into custody, the GBI said.

    Gray will be tried as an adult, the GBI said.

    He is being held at the Gainesville Regional Youth Detention Center and will appear in court virtually on Friday morning, authorities said.

    New details are emerging about the 14-year-old suspect and the victims in the deadliest school shooting so far this year.

    Gray’s father, Colin Gray, 54, has also been arrested and charged.

    Colin Gray is charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter, two counts of second-degree murder and eight counts of cruelty to children.

    An AR-platform-style weapon was used in the shooting, according to GBI Director Chris Hosey.

    Officials said they did not yet have answers for how Gray was allegedly able to obtain the gun and get it into the school. Gray was interviewed by investigators and the GBI, but Smith did not disclose further details.

    Teachers at the high school had IDs that alert law enforcement during an active incident — a new safety system that was implemented just one week ago, the sheriff said.

    SEE ALSO | ‘I had so much fear’: Students recount shooting at Georgia high school

    A motive has not yet been determined and it is unknown if the victims were targeted, investigators said.

    Booking photo of Apalachee High School shooting suspect, Colt Gray, released by the Barrow County Sheriff's Office.

    Booking photo of Apalachee High School shooting suspect, Colt Gray, released by the Barrow County Sheriff’s Office.

    Barrow County Sheriff’s Office

    The GBI said in a statement Thursday, “This is day 2 of a very complex investigation & the integrity of the case is paramount. We ask for the public’s patience as we work to ensure a successful prosecution & justice for the victims.”

    The autopsies will be performed on Thursday, the GBI said.

    SEE ALSO | Georgia high school shooting: What we know about the 4 victims

    In May 2023, authorities interviewed the suspect, who was then 13, about alleged threats to commit a school shooting, according to the FBI.

    The FBI said it received anonymous tips about online threats to commit a school shooting and the online threats contained photos of guns.

    The boy’s dad told authorities he had hunting rifles in the house, saying, “Colt is allowed to use them when supervised but does not have unfettered access to them,” according to the police report obtained by ABC News.

    A motive has not yet been determined and it is unknown if the victims were targeted, investigators said.

    When the 13-year-old was interviewed, he “assured me that he never made any threats to shoot up any school,” an officer wrote, according to the report.

    “I could not substantiate the tip I received from the FBI to take further action,” an officer wrote in his report. “At this time, due to the inconsistent nature of the information received by the FBI, the allegation that Colt or [his father] is the user behind the Discord account that made the threat cannot be substantiated.”

    “At that time, there was no probable cause for arrest or to take any additional law enforcement action on the local, state, or federal levels,” the FBI said on Wednesday.

    The sheriff’s office said it “alerted local schools for continued monitoring of the subject.”

    ABC News’ Alex Faul, Josh Margolin, Brandon Baur, Faith Abubey, Miles Cohen, Meredith Deliso and Jessica Gorman contributed to this report.

    Copyright © 2024 ABC News Internet Ventures.

    [ad_2]

    ABCNews

    Source link

  • Questions surround weapon, motive in deadly Georgia high school shooting

    Questions surround weapon, motive in deadly Georgia high school shooting

    [ad_1]

    WINDER, Georgia — As investigators worked to determine a motive behind Wednesday’s deadly school shooting in Georgia, they said they were also seeking answers about the weapon allegedly used by the 14-year-old suspect.

    The shooting early Wednesday at Apalachee High School in Winder killed two students and two teachers, according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

    Richard Aspinwall, Christina Irimie, Mason Schermerhorn and Christian Angulo were all victims in the Apalachee High School shooting on September 4.

    Apalachee High School/Family Photo/GoFundMe via CNN Newsource

    Teachers Richard Aspinwall, 39, and Christina Irimie, 53, were killed, along with students Mason Schermerhorn, 14, and Christian Angulo, 14, officials said. Nine others were injured, officials said.

    The suspect, Colt Gray, a student at the school, surrendered Wednesday and was taken into custody, the GBI said. He will be charged with murder and he will be tried as an adult, the GBI said.

    SEE ALSO | ‘I had so much fear’: Students recount shooting at Georgia high school

    He was being held Thursday morning at Gainesville Regional Youth Detention Center, the Department of Juvenile Justice told ABC News’ affiliate WSB.

    Chris Hosey, the director of the GBI, said Wednesday night that an AR-platform-style weapon was used in the incident.

    Officials said they did not yet have any answers for how Gray was allegedly able to obtain the gun to get it into the school. County Sheriff Jud Smith said that Gray was interviewed by investigators and GBI, but did not disclose further details.

    A motive has not yet been determined and it is unknown if the victims were targeted, investigators said.

    SEE ALSO | Georgia high school shooting: What we know about the 4 victims

    The FBI said on Wednesday that the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office, acting on an alert, interviewed the alleged shooting suspect in 2023.

    “In May 2023, the FBI’s National Threat Operations Center received several anonymous tips about online threats to commit a school shooting at an unidentified location and time,” the FBI post read.

    The FBI added, “Within 24 hours, the FBI determined the online post originated in Georgia and the FBI’s Atlanta Field Office referred the information to the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office for action.”

    ABC News’ Alexandra Faul, Josh Margolin, Brandon Baur, Faith Abubey, Miles Cohen, Emily Shapiro, Meredith Deliso and Jessica Gorman contributed to this report.

    Copyright © 2024 ABC News Internet Ventures.

    [ad_2]

    ABCNews

    Source link