Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

World News

Nearly 20 million lives saved by COVID-19 vaccines during their first year: study – National


Nearly 20 million lives were saved by COVID-19 vaccines during their first year, but even more deaths could have been prevented if international targets for the shots had been reached, researchers reported Thursday.

On Dec. 8, 2020, a retired shop clerk in England received the first shot in what would become a global vaccination campaign. Over the next 12 months, more than 4.3 billion people around the world lined up for the vaccines.

The effort, though marred by persisting inequities, prevented deaths on an unimaginable scale, said Oliver Watson of Imperial College London, who led the new modeling study.

“Catastrophic would be the first word that comes to mind,” Watson said of the outcome if vaccines hadn’t been available to fight the coronavirus. The findings “quantify just how much worse the pandemic could have been if we did not have these vaccines.”

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Story continues below advertisement

Read more:

Are 4th COVID-19 doses needed amid Omicron spread? Experts weigh in

The researchers used data from 185 countries to estimate that vaccines prevented 4.2 million COVID-19 deaths in India, 1.9 million in the United States, 1 million in Brazil, 631,000 in France and 507,000 in the United Kingdom.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

An additional 600,000 deaths would have been prevented if the World Health Organization target of 40% vaccination coverage by the end of 2021 had been met, according to the study published Thursday in the journal Lancet Infectious Diseases.

The main finding — 19.8 million COVID-19 deaths were prevented — is based on estimates of how many more deaths than usual occurred during the time period. Using only reported COVID-19 deaths, the same model yielded 14.4 million deaths averted by vaccines.

The London scientists excluded China because of uncertainty around the pandemic’s effect on deaths there and its huge population.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.









WHO chief warns COVID-19 pandemic ‘most certainly not over’


WHO chief warns COVID-19 pandemic ‘most certainly not over’ – May 22, 2022

The study has other limitations. The researchers did not include how the virus might have mutated differently in the absence of vaccines. And they did not factor in how lockdowns or mask wearing might have changed if vaccines weren’t available.

Story continues below advertisement

Another modeling group used a different approach to estimate that 16.3 million COVID-19 deaths were averted by vaccines. That work, by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation in Seattle, has not been published.

In the real world, people wear masks more often when cases are surging, said the institute’s Ali Mokdad, and 2021’s delta wave without vaccines would have prompted a major policy response.

“We may disagree on the number as scientists, but we all agree that COVID vaccines saved lots of lives,” Mokdad said.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Read more:

Updated Moderna COVID-19 booster can combat Omicron subvariants, vaccine maker says

The findings underscore both the achievements and the shortcomings of the vaccination campaign, said Adam Finn of Bristol Medical School in England, who like Mokdad was not involved in the study.

“Although we did pretty well this time — we saved millions and millions of lives — we could have done better and we should do better in the future,” Finn said.

Funding came from several groups including the WHO; the UK Medical Research Council; Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance; and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

AP health and science reporter Havovi Todd contributed.


© 2022 The Canadian Press

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.





Source link

You May Also Like

US News

Dear Amy: This year several people from my past have contacted me to ask for forgiveness. I am writing because I believe my decision...

World News

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is headed to the G7 in Germany Saturday without a consensus from the Commonwealth to condemn the Russian invasion of...

World News

The announcement comes two days after WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreysus convened an Emergency Committee on the disease, under the International Health Regulations (IHR),...

World News

Russian forces seized full control of the eastern Ukrainian city of Sievierodonetsk on Saturday, both sides said, confirming Kyiv’s biggest battlefield setback for more...

Breaking News

The WHO convened an emergency committee meeting Thursday to discuss the severity of the monkeypox outbreak. The result of the meeting was announced Saturday....

Breaking News

LONDON — The World Health Organization said the escalating monkeypox outbreak in more than 50 countries should be closely monitored but does not warrant...

Advertisement